Jazz In Paris

king ubu

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ubu, that new release is unfortunately not part of the Jazz in Paris series. Would be easier to obtain.

It is released in connection with the launching of the Bernard Peiffer website.

Thanks for catching this. Was not aware of this welcome addition.

Formidable, indeed!

Yes, I'm aware of that - I just thought that the only Peiffer discussion that might have taken place here would have been in this thread, so I chose to post this here. Seems the disc is only available at CDbaby? I guess I'll order it... the JiP discs are great!

Ubu, that new release is unfortunately not part of the Jazz in Paris series. Would be easier to obtain.

It is released in connection with the launching of the Bernard Peiffer website.

Thanks for catching this. Was not aware of this welcome addition.

Formidable, indeed!

Yes, I'm aware of that - I just thought that the only Peiffer discussion that might have taken place here would have been in this thread, so I chose to post this here. Seems the disc is only available at CDbaby? I guess I'll order it... the JiP discs are great!

Thanks for the information. I had not heard of him until I found a Japanese reissue of Bernie's Tune (EmArcy)--great record. And I also have the JIP La Vie en Rose. I ordered this new one right away.

If anyone's interested, 80+ albums from this series are available for download at eMusic.com...

I just saw that, nice! I think I'll take a closer look at those 4 'Jazz & Cinema' vols. and weed out a bit of stuff I'm not interested in hearing (Jan Wetzel's harmonica is it so far) and put together a nice little comp. Anything else buried in those 4 vols. that one might want to skip?

If anyone's interested, 80+ albums from this series are available for download at eMusic.com...

I just saw that, nice! I think I'll take a closer look at those 4 'Jazz & Cinema' vols. and weed out a bit of stuff I'm not interested in hearing (Jan Wetzel's harmonica is it so far) and put together a nice little comp. Anything else buried in those 4 vols. that one might want to skip?

Hmm, hard to tell. Some's a bit on the easy side, but I like all of it. Maybe some duplicates you can skip, such as the Herb Ellis date with Roy Eldridge, Getz etc. or the Blakey and Barney Wilen soundtracks, if you have them elsewhere.

I know what you mean Flurin, I like all that stuff too. I've come to like almost the entire series.. .. .. only the Grapelli/Peterson ones are not yet in my library. . . I just haven't been moved enough by Grapelli for some reason to grab them, but I will likely one of these days.

• 3 weeks later...

According to Alan's site, the hard-to-find Chet Baker BROKEN WING (mentioned much earlier in this thread, I believe) came out last week:

556720.jpg

The release of this album by Verve was listed a few months ago on their website. It's no longer listed. Anyone knows if this was indeed reissued?

Picked up the 'Broken Wing' at my local Borders today for £6. Looks like it is back in stock (my jaw dropped when I saw it in the rack, I thought it was long OOP and rare).

Lovely album by the way - great group, great sound and Baker at his most lyrical. :tup

There seems to be a new release of 70s piano solo recordings by the great Bernard Peiffer. Since there's no thread dedicated to him, I post about it here... does anyone have it? brownie?

I stumbled over it on CDbaby where it's sold for rather steep 18$, so I'd like to know some more about it, before ordering. Here's the cover:

bpcoverjpeg.jpg

Got this some days ago, played it twice so far and enjoyed it a lot. It's rather different from the two JiP discs, Peiffer went places from where he was in the 50s... recommended to anyone interested!

Picked up the 'Broken Wing' at my local Borders today for £6. Looks like it is back in stock (my jaw dropped when I saw it in the rack, I thought it was long OOP and rare).

Lovely album by the way - great group, great sound and Baker at his most lyrical. :tup

That Chet Baker seems to be back in the catalogue again.

It is listed now as available (first item) and as unavailable (third item) on the Amazon.fr website

Broken Wing :crazy:

That Chet Baker seems to be back in the catalogue again.

It is listed now as available (first item) and as unavailable (third item) on the Amazon.fr website

Broken Wing :crazy:

The Amazon UK site is also listing it as in stock so I guess that it's now oficially back in print ! :crazy:

It's been on auto-repeat on my CD player today - not too many CDs have that impact. Very highly recommended, one of the very best sessions Chet ever recorded I think. :tup

Standout on the session has got to be J.F. Jenny-Clark. He's all over that bass and adds hugely to the session. What a player !

Edited by sidewinder

• 5 weeks later...

I just came across this thread. Sorry for coming in after everybody may have left the room, but I really love this series. What I *didn't* know until I read the posts is that there was a 102 (Django Reinhardt, Place de Brouckère). I thought I had all of 'em! For the sake of the hopeless completist, there are three 2-cd "Hor-série" out there. Posters have already mentioned Sacha Distel, "Jazz Guitarist" (01) and Jean-Claude Fohrenbach, "Fohrenbach French Sound" (03) But there's also number 02: Bill Coleman, "The Complete Philips Recordings."

And for the truly hopeless among us (like me for instance :D ), they also issued a Sampler cd with a cool cd-sized catalogue. The sampler does have one track by Bill Coleman, a version of St. Louis Blues at 8:26 which *may* be an alternate to the one on the Coleman 2-cd set, which is 9:02. Or, they're the same, and the timings are off!

Hi Greg!

A great series, indeed! There have been separate threads about the Coleman and the Fofo elsewhere, as well as threads about the large 4CD boxes (I have none of them, alas) and at least one about the large boxes containing all the JiP discs, too.

Alas, the search function does only work on single words, so the best chance to find any of these threads is probably to search for little discussed musicians (Bacsik, Jaspar, etc.).

Oh, there definitely is a Sacha Distel thread, too! Still my favourite hors série release! Don't miss his non-JiP album with Barney and John Lewis, it has been on Koch CD, now reissued in a digipack edition by Freshsound.

Hi Greg!

A great series, indeed! There have been separate threads about the Coleman and the Fofo elsewhere, as well as threads about the large 4CD boxes (I have none of them, alas) and at least one about the large boxes containing all the JiP discs, too.

Alas, the search function does only work on single words, so the best chance to find any of these threads is probably to search for little discussed musicians (Bacsik, Jaspar, etc.).

Oh, there definitely is a Sacha Distel thread, too! Still my favourite hors série release! Don't miss his non-JiP album with Barney and John Lewis, it has been on Koch CD, now reissued in a digipack edition by Freshsound.

the coleman thread

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=23633

another thread

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=17741

another thread

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...;f=6&t=1720

distel

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=2681

don't complain! use google! :D

Ah well, I'm just lazy... and used to the search function working on more than one word for a few years, so... thanks for posting the links, however! I find it always helpful to have some cross-references in the threads themselves!

admittedy, I am using the search function as well whenever it makes any sense...(favorite counter example is still joe guy) don't know why though

Ah well, I'm just lazy... and used to the search function working on more than one word for a few years, so... thanks for posting the links, however! I find it always helpful to have some cross-references in the threads themselves!

admittedy, I am using the search function as well whenever it makes any sense...(favorite counter example is still joe guy) don't know why though

Sorry I didn't see the other threads. I'm fairly new to this group, so I'm figuring out all the ins and outs. Bear with me. It'll take me a while! :blush:

As for Jazz in Paris, they've also issued some DVDs. I saw 'em in Paris when I was there earlier this summer (along with the cool new box sets). 'Course, there's probably a thread on those too!!

Guest akanalog

i like the stan getz disc but i wish there was more music on it.

one tune is gary burton solo and one tune is mostly a roy haynes drum solo.

excellently recorded and good music, as i said, but the whole group is together for about 25 minutes.

Sorry I didn't see the other threads. I'm fairly new to this group, so I'm figuring out all the ins and outs. Bear with me. It'll take me a while! :blush:

As for Jazz in Paris, they've also issued some DVDs. I saw 'em in Paris when I was there earlier this summer (along with the cool new box sets). 'Course, there's probably a thread on those too!!

DVDs? :excited:

No discussion of them here before - do you have any more information?

• 5 months later...

DVDs? :excited:

No discussion of them here before - do you have any more information?

Alas, not much. I saw them at FNAC when I was in Paris the end of June. I didn't look too hard because, first, I don't collect jazz DVDs, and second, I figured they'd be SECAM or PAL, and that wouldn't work on my DVD player anyway. I do remember that they appeared to be single DVDs in standard-sized DVD packaging with the artist on the cover in the "Jazz in Paris" font/colors. I imagine some of our French friends here can say a lot more about them than I can! Sorry! :(

• 1 month later...

According to a press release, Universal Germany is reissuing 40 CDs from the first runs of JiP ... apparently they were hard to find around the shops.

Amongst those reissues are Art Blakey, Stéphane Grappelli, Jean-Luc Ponty, Stan Getz, Django Reinhardt, Donald Byrd, Oscar Peterson, Toots Thielemans, Louis Armstrong, Michel Legrand, Sarah Vaughan, Chet Baker, Lionel Hampton und Dizzy Gillespie plus some compilations, "Saxophones à Saint-Germain-des-Prés", "Jazz & Cinéma" and others.

I haven't found any mention of this 5 CD compilation:

417eI4yDlkL._SS500_.jpg

Track list:

Disc: 1

1. Generique - Davis, Miles

2. Man I Love - Zacharias, Bernard

3. Continental - Dearie, Blossom

4. They Can't Take That Away From Me - Fol, Hubert

5. Stompin' At The Savoy - Salvador, Henri

6. Fine And Dandy - Reinhardt, Django

7. Cherokee - Michelot, Pierre

8. This Can't Be Love - Criss, Sonny

9. Nearness Of You - Dieval, Jack

10. Laura - Byas, Don

11. Yesterdays - Banks, Buddy

12. My Heart Belongs To Daddy - Grappelli, Stephane

13. No Greater Love - Hines, Earl 'Fatha'

14. Scoubidou - Bey, Andy

15. Who Is Me - Peiffer, Bernard & His Saint Germain Orchestra

16. Begin The Beguine - Crolla, Henri

17. Blue Moon - Gillespie, Dizzy

18. Carioca - Williams, Mary Lou

19. What Is This Thing Called Love - Simmons, Art

20. Baby Won't You Please Come Home - Price, Sammy

Disc: 2

1. Swing 39 - Reinhardt, Django

2. Body And Soul - Grappelli, Stephane

3. Minor Swing - Crolla, Henri

4. Autumn Leaves - Peterson, Oscar & Stephane Grappelli/Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen/Kenny Clarke

5. Stella By Starlight - Goraguer, Alain

6. Caravan - Peiffer, Bernard

7. Parisian Thoroughfare - Jazz Groupe De Paris

8. Summertime - Baker, Chet

9. Sweet And Lovely - Gillespie, Dizzy

10. Hallelujah - Hines, Earl 'Fatha'

11. Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone - Clayton, Buck

12. It Had To Be You - Bechet, Sidney & His Feetwarmers

13. Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea - Richmond, June

14. Satin Doll - Scott, Rhoda & Kenny Clarke

15. Angel Eyes - Louiss, Eddie

16. I Remember Clifford - Hampton, Slide

17. Nica - Roach, Max

18. Night In Tunisia - Thomas, Rene

19. Nuages - Thomas, Rene

20. Misty - Vaughan, Sarah

Disc: 3

1. 'Round Midnight - Distel, Sacha

2. September Song - Reinhardt, Django & Quintette Du Hot Club De France

3. La Bride Sur Le Cou - Arvanitas, Georges

4. God Bless The Child - Criss, Sonny

5. Lover Man - Newman, Joe

6. Surrey With The Fringe On Top - Dearie, Blossom

7. My Funny Valentine - Simmons, Art

8. Over The Rainbow - Bacsik, Elek

9. I Want To Talk About You - Ponty, Jean-Luc

10. That's My Desire - Holland, Peanuts

11. These Foolish Things - De Villers, Michel

12. Blue And Sentimental - Gillespie, Dizzy

13. Melodie Pour Les Radio Taxies - Wilen, Barney

14. Georgia On My Mind - Byas, Don

15. Lullaby Of The Leaves - Thompson, Lucky

16. There's A Small Hotel - Williams, Mary Lou

17. My Old Flame - Thomas, Rene

18. Willow Weep For Me - Thielemans, Jean 'Toots'

19. Autumn In New York - Jaspar, Bobby

20. I Can't Get Started - Young, Lester

Disc: 4

1. When It's Sleepy Time Down South - Armstrong, Louis

2. Kiss To Build A Dream On - Armstrong, Louis

3. Blues March - Blakey, Art

4. Manha De Carnaval - Getz, Stan Quartet

5. On Green Dolphin Street - Getz, Stan Quartet

6. Clo's Blues - Hawkins, Coleman

7. Manoir De Mes Reves - Reinhardt, Django Et Ses Rhythmes

8. April In Paris - Legrand, Michel

9. Django - Grappelli, Stephane

10. Night And Day - Byas, Don

11. On The Sunny Side Of The Street - Nicholas, Harold

12. I Got Rhythm - Price, Sammy & Doc Cheatham

13. Honeysuckle Rose - Smith, Willie 'The Lion'

14. La Vie En Rose - Legrand, Michel

15. Vamp - Wilen, Barney & Kenny Clarke/Percy Heath/Milt Jackson

16. Things Ain't What They Used To Be - Bright, Ronnell

17. After You've Gone - Bechet, Sidney & His Feetwarmers

18. How High The Moon - Grappelli, Stephane & Stuff Smith

19. We'll Be Together Again - Criss, Sonny

20. Stormy Weather - Byas, Don

Disc: 5

1. I'll Remember April - Baker, Chet

2. Bouncing With Bud - Urtreger, Rene

3. Indiana (Back Home Again In Indiana) - Meunier, Maurice

4. Basin Street Blues - Nicholas, Albert

5. Sweet Georgia Brown - Briggs, Arthur & Freddie Johnson

6. I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me - Bechet, Sidney & His French Band

7. St Louis Blues - Armstrong, Louis

8. Them There Eyes - Reinhardt, Django

9. Swing 42 - Crolla, Henri

10. Swing Valse - Viseur, Gus

11. Swanee River - Archey, Jimmy & Michel Attenoux Orchestra

12. Cheek To Cheek - Peiffer, Bernard Trio

13. I've Got The World On A String - Lafitte, Guy

14. Misterioso - Jaspar, Bobby

15. Generique - Blakey, Art

16. Don't Blame Me - Criss, Sonny

17. Elephant Green - Michelot, Pierre

18. Moment's Notice - Hampton, Slide

19. Les Tricheurs - Getz, Stan

20. Florence Sur Les Champs Elysees - Davis, Miles

Checked out the FNAC CD department in Strasbourg the other day. This "100 Most Beautiful Compilation" was all over the place. It's being promoted in a BIG way in the shops there.

Otherwise, the overall selection of the JiP series was a bit scanty; the JiP racks did not have all that much (considering how many have been released) but after searching through the alphabet I came up with a few goodies anyhow:

Bernard Peiffer/Bernard Zacharias "Jazz at St. Germain des Pres", the Sacha Distel Hors Series 2-CD set (great for the first part but I don't care too much about some of those late 60s sessions included), and then Henri Crolla (a REVELATION IMHO; in places it makes you think this is what Django Reinhardt might have sounded like later on if he had lived longer and progressed stylistically towards more modern sounds).

I haven't found any mention of this 5 CD compilation:

417eI4yDlkL._SS500_.jpg

I'm pretty sure I mentioned that 5CD compilation when it came out last year in one of the threads about the Jazz In Paris series (there are several of those threads!). Can't trace that post :(

No new material in the box!