Jazz In Paris

king ubu

Well thanks to the recommendations of Magnificent Goldberg I now own and am thoroughly enjoying Meeting Mr Thomas and the Sonny Criss one. Both found second hand at the same store.

Was rather sad to read in the liner notes that Rene Thomas had to leave his gig with Sonny Rollins and return to Europe 'incontinent'.....eeergh....perhaps something got lost in the translation.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was rather sad to read in the liner notes that Rene Thomas had to leave his gig with Sonny Rollins and return to Europe 'incontinent'.....eeergh....perhaps something got lost in the translation.

'Incontinent' has two meanings in French. It means 'incontinence' but it can also be used as a synonym to 'immédiatement' (immediately).

Second meaning was being used in this case!

'Incontinent' has two meanings in French. It means 'incontinence' but it can also be used as a synonym to 'immédiatement' (immediately).

:g

Thanks for clearing that up Brownie. If I ever have the good fortune to be in Paris one day l'll be sure not get these different meanings mixed up.

Good to see these sessions getting re-released. Look forward to exploring more of them.

ory_kid~~~~_jazzinpar_101b.jpg

KID ORY

THEATRE DES CHAMPS-ELYSEES

sonnystitt~_jazzinpar_101b.jpg

SONNY STITT

SITS IN WITH THE OSCAR PETERSON

lafitt_guy~_jazzinpar_101b.jpg

GUY LAFITTE

BLUES

getz_stange_jazzinpar_102b.jpg

STAN GETZ

COMMUNICATIONS '72

price_sammy_jazzinpar_103b.jpg

SAMMY PRICE

GOOD PAREE

fol_raymond_jazzinpar_102b.jpg

RAYMOND FOL

ECHOES OF HARLEM

wein_george_jazzinpar_101b.jpg

GEORGE WEIN

MIDNIGHT CONCERT AT OLYMPIA

vander_maur_jazzinpar_101b.jpg

MAURICE VANDER

PIANO JAZZ

zzjazzinparisjazzet_5_101b.jpg

V.A.(JAZZ & CINEMA)

JAZZ & CINEMA VOL.5

clayto_buck_jazzinpar_101b.jpg

BUCK CLAYTON

AND FRIENDS

• 4 months later...

There is a new big box being released these days. It carries volumes 76 to 101 of the Jazz in Paris series.

Nothing yet on the universalmusic.fr website.

This time I already have all the single editions.

I remember buying the first two boxes, the huge one and the supplement later.

Like Christmas ... :)

Those interested in the series should buy the box when it comes out ... they disappear fast ... and command outrageous prices later, if available at all.

Just a reminder... Dusty Groove still has many of these discs on sale for $4.99. I broke down and bought another 20 of 'em yesterday...

Nobody was lookin'. :cool:

Seriously they are dirt cheap at DGA. I think the last two I got in this series were the Hamptons. Got them for the 4.99 for which they were selling as you mention above. Not really that in to Hamp, but it was the Jazz in Paris series so for 5 bucks a piece I gave them a whirl. Easy call.

Also, for the poster before asking about the O.P. I have them and thoroughly enjoyable as O.P. always is.

I have the 5 Jazz & Cinema volumes but no others (some on original LPs though).

Is there any good modern, angular, nervous, caffeine-jag, longhair stuff in this series? I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff...

If I'm interpreting your request correctly, then you ought to try the Andre Hodeir discs: No. 70, Le Jazz Groupe de Paris joue Andre Hodeir, and No. 97, Jazz & Jazz.

No. 39, Kenny Clarke's Sextet plays Andre Hodeir is worth a try, too, though less angular and certainly less longhair.

I have the 5 Jazz & Cinema volumes but no others (some on original LPs though).

Is there any good modern, angular, nervous, caffeine-jag, longhair stuff in this series? I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff...

If I'm interpreting your request correctly, then you ought to try the Andre Hodeir discs: No. 70, Le Jazz Groupe de Paris joue Andre Hodeir, and No. 97, Jazz & Jazz.

No. 39, Kenny Clarke's Sextet plays Andre Hodeir is worth a try, too, though less angular and certainly less longhair.

I think Modern Jazz At Saint Germain Des Pres by Bernard Peiffer/Bernard Zacharias might be considered longhair, but probably not terribly angular. I like it a lot anyway.

• 1 month later...

There's a 3CD set coming up in the Jazz in Paris series...

50 Reasons To Love Paris

Will this be a compilation of previously released (in the JinP series) material, like that 5CD box they did a couple of years ago? (The 100 most beautiful melodies or something like that it was called...)

edit: this one I meant: The 100's Most Beautiful Melodies

Edited by king ubu

Each one is sold at 5.92 Euros and if you buy three of them you get a fourth one free.

5.92 Euros is about 8 Bucks

Not *that* great an offer, but still better thatn what I'll likely find the ones I still need for...

Just sent in an order for 9 of the 10 new ones (minsu the Kid Ory, that one's part of the Mosaic).

That means I'll have all of them, except the Roach (part of the Mosaic), the Miles Ascenseur (only original version, I prefer the CD with all the additional material!), the Prez (part of the Verve box), the Ory (part of the Mosaic), and also I don't have the 4CD boxes or any of these compilations (Sampler, Remixed, 100 Melodies, won't get this new one, either). Oh, of course I have the three "hors série" 2CD set, those are great!