Jazz In Paris

king ubu

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, wait, is that two ladies kissing there? Oh-la-la... :P

Nothing like that :excited:

The scene was caught in the 60s. Different hairstyles (and attire) then!

This was shot at the Square du Vert Galant on the western edge of the Ile de la Cité.

Another classic kiss (by Robert Doisneau) at the same Square

doisneau_vert-galant.jpg

The Square gardien would have made sure that no improper conduct would take place between two ladies!

Edited by brownie

This was shot at the Square du Vert Galant on the western edge of the Ile de la Cité.

doisneau_vert-galant.jpg

The Square gardien would have made sure that no improper conduct would take place between two ladies!

So the photo on the new set is also by Doisneau? Nice photos, both!

I thought so, of course (re: the ladies)... but then the guy definitely has something androgynous about him, no? :rolleyes:

doisneau_vert-galant.jpg

So the photo on the new set is also by Doisneau? Nice photos, both!

I thought so, of course (re: the ladies)... but then the guy definitely has something androgynous about him, no? :rolleyes:

No idea yet on who's the photographer who took the image that's on the cover of the '50 Reasons' CD. Don't think it's Doisneau!

... but then the guy definitely has something androgynous about him, no? :rolleyes:

If you'd seen any sizeable number of pics of the French early to mid-60s youth (e.g. the then-current French rock'n'roll/beat bands and their fans) you wouldn't say that ... ;)

Anyway, the cover pics of the JiP series are fantastic throughout and in many cases capture the atmosphere of the times (and the music) perfectly well, though sometimes they ought to have used pictures taken more at the time the music was recorded and not that long before or after. And I'd sure like to have that cinema wall publicity seen on Jazz and Cinema Vol. 5!! :D :D That would be something ...

... but then the guy definitely has something androgynous about him, no? :rolleyes:

If you'd seen any sizeable number of pics of the French early to mid-60s youth (e.g. the then-current French rock'n'roll/beat bands and their fans) you wouldn't say that ... ;)

Anyway, the cover pics of the JiP series are fantastic throughout and in many cases capture the atmosphere of the times (and the music) perfectly well, though sometimes they ought to have used pictures taken more at the time the music was recorded and not that long before or after. And I'd sure like to have that cinema wall publicity seen on Jazz and Cinema Vol. 5!! :D :D That would be something ...

It is SUCH a cool series. I'm addicted to it and I really love the period photos. I read somewhere that Universal swore they were finished after they issued the last batch, but I continue to hope it will continue! They are issuing an 8-cd box set of Chet Baker in Paris, but that's not part of the Jazz in Paris series (and it will include the Baker volume in the series).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They are issuing an 8-cd box set of Chet Baker in Paris, but that's not part of the Jazz in Paris series (and it will include the Baker volume in the series).

from what i have seen, that box, to be released on 04/12/07, only includes the 55-56 Barclay sessions already reissued in different forms. so how come it takes up 8 full CDs? easy, one CD per session with some only featuring 3 or 4 tracks and uncountable alt takes on others. now that's a brilliant marketing concept!

i'm only missing vol. 3 ('56 sessions), which i have as a copy and would like to have as a regular release. vol. 4 i'm not interested in.

i had been waiting for many years for the full barclay sessions to be reissued to make up for that gap ... but not in this way. it will cost over 100 € . sure, nice booklet and pics but loads of duplication. and the story of those Paris days has been told lots of times. i doubt there's much (if any) new info in there. and it seems not even the duos with Caterina Valente are on the box, though I don't know for whom they were recorded (not Barclay for sure, but probably some label now under the Universal umbrella).

i think i'll stick to my CDR.

They are issuing an 8-cd box set of Chet Baker in Paris, but that's not part of the Jazz in Paris series (and it will include the Baker volume in the series).

from what i have seen, that box, to be released on 04/12/07, only includes the 55-56 Barclay sessions already reissued in different forms. so how come it takes up 8 full CDs? easy, one CD per session with some only featuring 3 or 4 tracks and uncountable alt takes on others. now that's a brilliant marketing concept!

i'm only missing vol. 3 ('56 sessions), which i have as a copy and would like to have as a regular release. vol. 4 i'm not interested in.

i had been waiting for many years for the full barclay sessions to be reissued to make up for that gap ... but not in this way. it will cost over 100 € . sure, nice booklet and pics but loads of duplication. and the story of those Paris days has been told lots of times. i doubt there's much (if any) new info in there. and it seems not even the duos with Caterina Valente are on the box, though I don't know for whom they were recorded (not Barclay for sure, but probably some label now under the Universal umbrella).

i think i'll stick to my CDR.

Look here for more info:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=36969

I'm tempted but will definitely not get it all too soon...

The Barclay sessions were available on foru discs, which already contained quite some alternate takes. I managed to find three of them (the elusive one that went OOP much earlier than the rest was Vol. 2, I think, I got a CDR thanks to a kind soul from this board - and half of it is on the JinP quartet disc, too). Anyway, I guess it's smarter to just live on with these, but then, as usual with nice box sets, I'm tempted as I said...

Just a reminder that the 'Chet Baker in Paris' box is not part of the 'Jazz in Paris' series.

Not all the albums recorded in Paris are part of that series!

Yeah, but it's still a bit weid. The Baker material is Barclay material, some Barclay material was part of the series, even one of the Baker albums was... it's just not the same reissue crew, I assume?

Just a reminder that the 'Chet Baker in Paris' box is not part of the 'Jazz in Paris' series.

Not all the albums recorded in Paris are part of that series!

Yeah, but it's still a bit weid. The Baker material is Barclay material, some Barclay material was part of the series, even one of the Baker albums was... it's just not the same reissue crew, I assume?

I did not see any producers credit on the Chet box. The name of critic Alain Tercinet is mentioned in the back liner notes and he was involved with the Jazz in Paris series.

Since the box and the series come from Universalmusic France I'ld say the same people were involved!

One more box coming soon from the Jazz in Paris series. Looks like it is a 12CD single box reissue of the four DeLuxe sets.

Jazz in Paris 1917-1959

Man, they're really recycling that series.

Gotta update my list.

Sorry if this was discussed before. But are there things in these box sets that are not contained in the individual CDs of the Jazz in Paris series? If so, how much? I'm just beginning to try out some of these CDs, and finding them very nice indeed.

Edited by Bol

Yes, there are things in those box sets not in the individual discs. . . ten percent or less I would say from memory.

Could you supply any details on this Jazzbo? I guess I'd just assumed this was nothing but a compilation of stuff that had already appeared in the previous volumes of the series.

Yes, there are things in those box sets not in the individual discs. . . ten percent or less I would say from memory.

Could you supply any details on this Jazzbo? I guess I'd just assumed this was nothing but a compilation of stuff that had already appeared in the previous volumes of the series.

I'd be interested to have some precise info about that, too - just in case someone has it ready to post.

There is a guitarist named "Jean-Pierre Sasson" who plays on several of the Jazz in Paris CDs. Mostly he plays in very inconspicuous ways. But recently I checked out some tracks on Lucky Thompson's "Americans Swinging in Paris" CD. These are tracks on which Sasson, not Thompson, was the leader. Wow! His playing is fascinating. Kind of like the stripped-down version of Django Reinhardt on electric guitar, but much more at ease on electric than Reinhardt's playing on electric guitars in some of his last recordings. As far as I can find out, Sasson did not make many recordings on his own -- some EPs on the label Ducret Thomson that probably will never be re-issued. How I wish I could listen to some of these recordings.

Edited by Bol