Jazz In Paris

king ubu

These duplifications between JiP and other Universal France/Gitanes/EmArcy discs that turned up around the same time is a bit weird... for instance, the content of the two Dizzy JiPs (the great small groups plus the second disc with the Operatic Strings) were also combined on a 2CD set that was also part of one of those series (Anniversary, Heritage? Is there any complete listing of those anywhere, btw?)

Here goes: The Great Blue Star Sessions 1952-1953

Dizzy Gillespie/Blue Star

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Eric. I may actually be in Paris for a few days in July, so if we haven't worked something out by then, I could possibly pick up a few copies at a FNAC while I'm there--assuming I can find them!

greg mo

Now why didn't I think of that? And here I was all pleased with myself for working out a weekend trip to New York and Philly. ;)

Well you just gotta sacrifice for the music, you know?! :rolleyes:

greg mo

Well, after a year of holding out hoping that DG or some other US source would get the Grappelli in (The Nearness of You, I believe is the title), I finally broke down and ordered it from Amazon.co.uk. It's probably sourced from Amazon.fr, but they combined shipping with some other items I was interested in off the UK site, so the shipping doesn't sting quite as much as from Amazon.fr or FNAC. It should arrive early next week. It's probably crazy (and the music wouldn't sustain such hype on its own), but it is the only one from the JIP series that I don't have.

Thanks Eric. I may actually be in Paris for a few days in July, so if we haven't worked something out by then, I could possibly pick up a few copies at a FNAC while I'm there--assuming I can find them!

greg mo

Now why didn't I think of that? And here I was all pleased with myself for working out a weekend trip to New York and Philly. ;)

Well you just gotta sacrifice for the music, you know?! :rolleyes:

greg mo

Well, after a year of holding out hoping that DG or some other US source would get the Grappelli in (The Nearness of You, I believe is the title), I finally broke down and ordered it from Amazon.co.uk. It's probably sourced from Amazon.fr, but they combined shipping with some other items I was interested in off the UK site, so the shipping doesn't sting quite as much as from Amazon.fr or FNAC. It should arrive early next week. It's probably crazy (and the music wouldn't sustain such hype on its own), but it is the only one from the JIP series that I don't have.

I can relate. It's a pleasant enough record. I had to go to at least three FNACs in Paris before I found it, and then it was more expensive than all the other JiPs they had! Sigh. I am addicted to the series. I know Volkher monitors whenever the topic comes up. Any sign of further issues in the series, Volkher?!

gregmo

Word is out now that there will be more releases in the Jazz in Paris series. Probably out next month!

These will be mainly reissues from the earlier series with covers that will skip the excellent black and white archival photos.

The new series will feature CDs with images of the original albums covers.

Some bonuses will be added to several of the releases.

No idea if there will be fresh material.

As usual, nothing on the Universal France website!

• 3 weeks later...

going from what can be seen here there's indeed little new, just a bunch of reissues

http://www.lastfm.de/label/Universal+Music+Division+Classics+Jazz/albums?page=3

the vaughan has alternate takes, the meunier is just half of the clarinettes a st germain des pres cd; this compilation looks new to me

http://www.lastfm.de/music/Multi+Interpr%C3%A8tes/Jazz+Boom+N%C2%B01

will look more carefully later...

this site: http://blog-shinjuku-jazz.diskunion.net/Page/2/

lists some more, i.e.

ART BLAKEY / PARIS JAM SESSION

BILL COLEMAN / FROM BOOGIE TO FUNK

BOBBY JASPER / MODERN JAZZ AU CLUB SAINT GERMAIN

CHET BAKER / AND HIS QUINTET WITH BOBBY JASPER

DONALD BYRD / BYRD IN PARIS

DONALD BYRD / PARISIAN THROUGHFARE

ELEK BACSIK / GUITAR CONCEPTIONS

GUY LAFITTE / BLUE AND SENTIMENTAL

JAZZ AT THE PHILHAMONIC / LES TRICHUERS BOF

LIONEL HAMPTON / AND HIS FRENCH NEW SOUND VOL.1

LIONEL HAMPTON / AND HIS FRENCH NEW SOUND VOL.2

MICHEL LEGRAND / PARIS JAZZ PIANO

PIERRE MICHELOT / ROUND ABOUT A BASS

QUINCY JONES / I DIG DANCERS

RONNELL BRIGHT / THE RONNELL BRIGHT TRIO

SLIDE HAMPTON / EXODUS

SONNY CRISS / MR BLUES POUR FLIRTER

STEPHANE GRAPPELLI / DJANGO

is the Quincy Jones new?

http://www.deezer.com/de/#music/quincy-jones/i-dig-dancers-557228

and having the Donald Byrd albums out with their original covers is pretty cool! otherwise, the tendency is that these cds contain less music, not more...

Just tried to sort out the new reissues - the ones with ADDITIONAL MUSIC are in bold face:

Art Blakey - Paris Jam Session (#40)

Bernard Peiffer - Piano Et Rythmes (#93 - Plays Standards)

Bill Coleman - From Boogie to Funk (#7)

Bobby Jaspar - Modern Jazz au Club Saint Germain (#27)

Chet Baker - And His Quintet with Bobby Jaspar (1)

Django Reinhardt - The Great Artistry of Django Reinhardt (#91 - Nuages) (2)

Donald Byrd - Byrd In Paris (#4)

Donald Byrd - Parisian Thoroughfare (#5) (3)

Elek Bacsik - Guitar Conceptions (#15)

Guy Lafitte - Blue and Sentimental (#24)

Jazz At The Philharmonic - Les Tricheurs (#50 - Jazz et cinéma vol. 2) (4)

Jean-Luc Ponty - Jazz Long Playing (#43)

Lionel Hampton - And His French New Sound Vol. 1 (#45 - Vol. 2)

Lionel Hampton - And His French New Sound Vol. 2 (#44 - Vol. 1)

Lucky Thompson - Modern Jazz Group (#28)

Maurice Meunier - And His Orchestra (#54 - Clarinettes à Saint-Germain-des-Prés) (5)

Max Roach - Parisian Sketches (#96 - also part of the Max Roach Mosaic)

Michel Legrand - Paris Jazz Piano (#32)

Multi Interprètes - Jazz Boom N°1 (6)

Pierre Michelot - Round About a Bass (#29)

Quincy Jones - I Dig Dancers (7)

René Thomas - And His Orchestra (#16) (8)

René Urtreger - Joue Bud Powell (#67)

Ronnell Bright - The Ronnell Bright Trio (#61 - Piano aux Champs Elysées) (9)

Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Vaughan à Paris (#83 - Vaughan & Violins) (10)

Slide Hampton - Exodus (#10)

Sonny Criss - Mr Blues Pour Flirter (#23) (11)

Stéphane Grappelli - Django (#87)

Toots Thielemans - Blues Pour Flirter (#17)

Willie Smith - Willie The Lion Smith (#64 - Music On My Mind)

NOTES

1) this one contains selections from various Barclay sessions (Jaspar is only on #1-3)

2) this one contains the first 8 (of 12) tracks from #91 "Nuages" (that CD added two 78s to the 10 inch album reissued on the new disc)

3) missing another take of "Salt Peanuts" that was on #5

4) #50 also contained Art Blakeys soundtrack for "Les femmes disparaissent", not included on this new disc. Instead this new disc contains:

05. On The Alamo (False Start) 1:26

06. On the Alamo (Complete Take) 9:42

07. Get Happy (False Start 1) 0:28

08. Get Happy (False Start 2) 0:58

09. Get Happy (False Start 3) 0:15

10. Get Happy (Complete Take) 7:14

11. Sweet Georgia Brown (Discussion) 0:35

12. Sweet Georgia Brown (Complete Take) 10:06

These seem to complete the session and have not been too widely spread I assume?

JATP All Stars - Musique du film "Les Tricheurs"

Roy Eldridge (tp-1) Dizzy Gillespie (tp-2) Maxim Saury (cl-3) Sonny Stitt (as-4) Stan Getz (ts-5) Coleman Hawkins (ts-6) Oscar Peterson (p) Herb Ellis (g) Ray Brown (b) Gus Johnson (d)

Filmsoundtrack, Paris, May 1, 1958

1389 Les tricheurs (5)(*) Versailles (F)MMB600, Barclay BEP74024

1390 Clo's blues (6)(+) - , -

1391 Phil's tune (1)(+) - , -

1392 Mic's jump (2)(+) - , -

1393 Finale (4) -

1394 On the Alamo (3) -

1395 Get happy -

1396 Sweet Georgia Brown (3) -

Note :

(*) This title also on Karusell (Swd)KEP355.

(+) These titles also on Verve 521674-2, entitled "Nothin' but the blues" and released under the name of Herb Ellis.

5) #54 also contains an album by Hubert Rostaing

6) this one's all new!

EDIT: well, mostly... two cuts have been on the great Sacha Distel "hors série" 2CD package - see niko's post below.

Concert, "Théâtre de l'Apollo", Paris, May 26, 1954

#3 - Bernard Hulin (tp) Benny Vasseur (tb) Guy Lafitte (ts) Raymond Fol (p) Guy de Fatto (b) Pierre Lemarchand (d)

#5 - Christian Bellest (tp) Hubert Fol (as) Jay Cameron (bar) René Urtreger (p) Benoit Quersin (b) Jean-Louis Viale (d)

Can't seem to find more... so here's the dusty blurb:

A great snapshot of the Paris jazz scene in the postwar years -- material recorded nearly a decade after the end of WWII, showing a tremendous evolution in French jazz during the space of a few short years! The album features live performances by a few key groups -- mostly in modes that feature bop and modern jazz, the two growing loves of the Paris scene at the time. Titles include "Le Calife" and "Woodman", played by a group led by pianist Christian Chevallier with Roger Guerin on trumpet and Jean-Louis Chautemps on tenor; "Half Nelson" and "I'll Remember April" by a group co-led by guitarist Sacha Distel and alto sax player Hubert Fol; "Don't Blame Me" by trumpeter Bernard Hulin and tenorist Guy Lafitte; "Devil's Dream" and "Fine & Dandy" by a group led by bassist Pierre Michelot with Roger Guerin on trumpet and Benny Vasseur on trombone; "Night In Tunisia" by pianist Rene Urtreger; and "I'm Tellin Ya" by the sextet of guitarist Raymond Beau, with Serge Bib Monville on tenor and Georges Arvanitas on piano.

7) #1-13 correspond to sessions I & J from Mosaic set, #14-15 are from session I and are omitted (wihout any explanation, as far as I can see) on the Mosaic set!

8) there's a printing mistake in the JiP 1-102 catalogue: it mentions that #16 contains two albums but only gives track listing for the first one (#1-8)

9) the "Piano aux Champs Elysées" compilation (#61) compiled a 10 inch album by Art Simmons with the Bright album reissued anew now.

10) the new CD contains 4 additional alternate takes not part of #83

11) this one also contains most of the Criss portions of #55 "Saxophones à Saint-Germain-des-Prés", it seems?

----------------------

I HATE THIS TWO IN ONE POST FEATURE !!!!

NEW POST STARTING HERE:

Now if anyone else ever DID compare the tracklistings of the four 3CD sets with the single discs and did determine what's from where and what's unissued elsewhere, please post it here!

Edited by king ubu

6) this one's all new!

Concert, "Théâtre de l'Apollo", Paris, May 26, 1954

#3 - Bernard Hulin (tp) Benny Vasseur (tb) Guy Lafitte (ts) Raymond Fol (p) Guy de Fatto (b) Pierre Lemarchand (d)

#5 - Christian Bellest (tp) Hubert Fol (as) Jay Cameron (bar) René Urtreger (p) Benoit Quersin (b) Jean-Louis Viale (d)

Can't seem to find more... so here's the dusty blurb:

A great snapshot of the Paris jazz scene in the postwar years -- material recorded nearly a decade after the end of WWII, showing a tremendous evolution in French jazz during the space of a few short years! The album features live performances by a few key groups -- mostly in modes that feature bop and modern jazz, the two growing loves of the Paris scene at the time. Titles include "Le Calife" and "Woodman", played by a group led by pianist Christian Chevallier with Roger Guerin on trumpet and Jean-Louis Chautemps on tenor; "Half Nelson" and "I'll Remember April" by a group co-led by guitarist Sacha Distel and alto sax player Hubert Fol; "Don't Blame Me" by trumpeter Bernard Hulin and tenorist Guy Lafitte; "Devil's Dream" and "Fine & Dandy" by a group led by bassist Pierre Michelot with Roger Guerin on trumpet and Benny Vasseur on trombone; "Night In Tunisia" by pianist Rene Urtreger; and "I'm Tellin Ya" by the sextet of guitarist Raymond Beau, with Serge Bib Monville on tenor and Georges Arvanitas on piano.

thank you, guess i'll buy this in any case! there's some duplication though, as far as i can see, the two distel/fol tracks are also on the distel hors serie cd, one of the two Chevalier Tracks is in the St Germain des Pres Boxset (Le Calife), same for one of the Michelot tracks (Devil's dream); but it's great to hear more from players like Fol and Hulin!

Edited by Niko

Very helpful, esp. as a number of these releases have just hit Dusty Groove! I've got a copy of Jazz Boom #1 on hold and will pick it up Friday. I think the only other one that would be worth picking up (for me) is Quincy's I Dig Dancers. How is this? Certainly the band members are pretty incredible but sometimes these things don't jell the way you would think.

Can't recall this particular session, but I enjoyed the Quincy Jones Mosaic a lot, played it when it was out anew, time to revisit, I guess... weird that it omitted these two tracks, will send them a mail to inquire!

I think me, I'll buy the Blakey and the Jazz Boom from this new series. Don't think I'll grab the Sassy and Q for the additional titles.

Having the original covers would be very cool in some cases (the Urtreger, the Byrds), but I'm not quite THAT silly usually, to buy duplicates just for the cover art... not yet, I guess...

I think me, I'll buy the Blakey and the Jazz Boom from this new series. Don't think I'll grab the Sassy and Q for the additional titles.

If I'm reading the info correctly, the only new material on the new Les Tricheurs CD are some false starts. I think I'll pass.

Having the original covers would be very cool in some cases (the Urtreger, the Byrds), but I'm not quite THAT silly usually, to buy duplicates just for the cover art... not yet, I guess...

I would definitely have preferred if more of the JIP notes had the original artwork inside, but I am not buying the music a second time. OTOH, if the Quincy Jones was issued as JIP with matching cover, I would buy it without a second thought. That's kind of crazy as well...

No, there are complete takes of all three tunes on the "Tricheurs" disc:

05. On The Alamo (False Start) 1:26

06. On the Alamo (Complete Take) 9:42

07. Get Happy (False Start 1) 0:28

08. Get Happy (False Start 2) 0:58

09. Get Happy (False Start 3) 0:15

10. Get Happy (Complete Take) 7:14

11. Sweet Georgia Brown (Discussion) 0:35

12. Sweet Georgia Brown (Complete Take) 10:06

(#1-4 are the well-known ones, part of "Jazz et cinema 2")

And maybe yes, I'll indeed go for the Q as well, regardless with what design it comes :)

• 1 month later...

Listening to Quincy Jones - I Dig Dancers now - that and Jazz Boom N° 1 have arrived a few days ago.

Nice fold-out digipacks (4-parts) with a page of english and french notes (or rather: french notes by Alain Tercinet and an english translation).

About the bonus tracks on the Quincy (that are not part of the Mosaic box), there's no additional information. It just says:

Original LP issue (1-10): Mercury 60612

(P) 1960 The Verve Music Group (1-10)

(P) 1984 The Verve Music Group (11-15)

I guess that means that all five alternates/bonus tracks have been first released in 1984?

Meaning Mosaic made a blunder there?

Doug Payne has a nice review of the Q disc on his blog.

Jazz Boom N°1

Jazz in Paris Collector's Edition

Universal Music France 532 565-9

zzjazzboomno1~~~~~~_1_101b.jpg

1. Le Calife (Chevallier)

2. Half Nelson (Davis)

3. Don't Blame Me (McHugh)

4. Woodman (Chevallier)

5. Yardbird Suite (Parker)

6. Devil's Dream (Michelot)

7. Night in Tunisia (Gillespie-Paparelli)

8. I'm Tellin' Ya (Cohn)

9. The Way You Look Tonight (Fields-Kern)

10. I'll Remember April (Raye-DePaul)

11. Fine and Dandy (James-Swift)

(1,4) Orchestre Christian Chevallier: Roger Guérin (t), Charles Verstraete (tb), Jean-Louis Chautemps (ts), William Boucaya (bari), Christian Chevallier (p), Alix Bret (b), Bernard Planchenault (d)

(2,10) Hubert Fol et Sacha Distel Quintette: Sacha Distel (g), Hubert Fol (as), René Urtreger (p), Pierre Michelot (b), Baptiste "Mac Kac" Reilles (d)

(3): Bernard Hulin (t), Benny Vasseur (tb), Guy Lafitte (ts), Raymond Fol (p), Guy De Fatto (b), Pierre Lemarchand (d)

(5): Christian Bellest (t), Hubert Fol (as), Jay Cameron (bari), René Urtreger (p), Benoît Quersin (b), Jean-Louis Viale (d)

(6,11) Orchestre Pierre Michelot: Christian Bellest, Roger Guérin (t), Benny Vasseur (tb), Teddy Ameline (as), André "Cousin" Rosss (ts), Michel Cassez (bari), René Urtreger (p), Sacha Distel (g), Pierre Michelot (b), Baptiste "Mac Kac" Reilles (d)

(7,9) Trio René Urtreger: René Urtreger (p), Benoît Quersin (b), Jean-Louis Viale (d)

(8) Sextette Raymond Beau: Roger Guérin (t), Serge "Bib" Monville (ts), Georges Arvanitas (p), Raymond Beau (g), Benoît Quersin (b), Baptiste "Mac Kac" Reilles (d)

Recorded May 12 and 26, 1954, Appollo-Théâtre, Paris.

Original sessions produced by André Francis and Marcel Romano

Original LP issue: Philips 77 101

(P) 1955 Universal Music France

Reissue (partial credits - some of the usual gang involved, it seems...):

Transfers and Mastering: Studio 101

Research and CoordinatioN: François Lê Xuân

Supervision: Yann Ollivier

These look so nice, the collector in me is very tempted to get them all, but I guess sanity will win...

I've known most of the Q from the Mosaic set (which I love)! This one's kind of an old-fashioned big band album, as you might guess from the title. It's a lot of fun, mostly short tunes, featured soloists are, among others: Clark Terry, Benny Bailey, Jerome Richardson, Phil Woods, Julius Watkins... and the band is star-studded!

Will report on "Jazz Boom N°1" once I've heard it.