Patton Select has just dropped

Gary

A nice surprise both the Chambers & John Patton selects have arrived here (# 865 & 767) . I thought i might have to wait a while as there looked to be a hold up with the John Patton set last week.

This is my 1st John Patton purchase , but after reading a few of the threads on here i think i'll have a pleasant evenings listening.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, mine just dropped this morning.

I've got all the music...but the booklet is BAADDD. GREAT PICTURES. Mostly of the "Along Came John" session. Some great shots that show the Dixon/Patton/Green team talking it out during the session among other things.

It's GREAT to hear "That Certain Feeling" cleanly for the first time without pops and crackles!!!! That session is so awesome.

Bad stuff. :tup:D

i keep checking the front door and no package.

i hate you eastcoasters!!! :P

mosaic needs to move to the westcoast

ss1

Hey I'm pretty far East compared to you - ENGLAND.

Thats why it was a nice suprise today - i normally have to wait three or four days after reading that you guys have had your boxes delivered.

So, I get my Patton Select today and I pop in disc 1, starting with track 7 "The Rock," the first song off of "The Way I Feel," because I've never heard this record before. Does anyone else notice distortion at exactly ten seconds into the track? Is this the mastering or the recording? Don't tell me we've got another Moncur Select on our hands here.

:angry:

Man that's just freakin' terrible!!!! The distortion goes from the start of "Rock" to about 00:15 and peaks at about ten seconds.

I guess that's why they threw the caveat warning into the booklet that there is "organ distortion throughout this set". WTF... if I want organ distortion I'll reply to some of that e-mail spam I get!!! I recall no such thing on the TOCJ (that now resides somewhere between here and reindeer-land that I stupidly sold off, but was never received, to a board member). So are Ron and the boys playing salt-water-taffy-store with the tapes or what?

And I thought it sounded terrific when I first put on this set with discs two and three.

I haven't purchased this set yet, but would like to. I can accept distortion in these recordings since they are old recordings.

Does the distortion sound like it's inherent in the master tapes and cannot be removed? Or, does it appear to have been added by the remastering process?

Is the distortion bad enough to cause a 'no buy' decision versus a 'yes buy' decision?

Another link here.

Edited by wesbed

The irony of the title of this thread is that it appears my Patton Select WAS dropped!! And from a pretty great distance.

This is my fourth Select and the first in an envelope instead of a box. It was obviously compressed at some point. The box is creased on the sides and one of the jewel cases is cracked.

I had the same experience as hutch head, having never heard THE WAY I FEEL, I went right to The Rock only to hear that distortion! I could tell something was wrong from the first instant. I'm certainly no expert but to me it sounds like a damaged tape. It reminded me of when my old casettes would get eaten by a player and I would rescue them and continue to try to play them with the tape all visibly crumpled. (don't miss those casettes for sure!)

I can live with 15 secs of distortion for all this great music if this is what the source tape has to offer, but otherwise, I want a cleaned up copy!!

Guest Chaney

Dusty Groove is already selling ALL of the Select sets for $49.99.

What's up with that? Jumping the gun a bit, no? (Not that there's a law against them buying up a bunch of sets and selling them on their site. IF that's what's happened.)

Dusty Groove

Dusty Groove is already selling ALL of the Select sets for $49.99.

What's up with that?  Jumping the gun a bit, no?  (Not that there's a law against them buying up a bunch of sets and selling them on their site.  IF that's what's happened.)

Dusty Groove

Interesting .. If they buy them at current list, which if Mosaic is honest, should be the case. They then make about $10.00 profit selling them.

Wonder what the discount price to stores would be when Mosaic " officially" sells the sets through them.. less than $39.99 ???

Edited by P.D.

I'm listening right now to the TOCJ, and there is no problem with The Rock. Could it be a McMastering problem? What does it sound like exactly? It could be some kind of digital distortion. Makes me wonder if anyone listens to these before they go out. :rmad:

It's not organ distortion or the buzz of a hot recording at all. It's got to be simply a defective tape that was used. So why is it that the TOCJ is pristine? It's like the old old Japanese "Song for My Father" intro. It has absolutely no glitches at all on a 1985 import but raised it's ugliness on the RVG and everything since.

Why is it that so many companies can pain-stakingly remaster stuff so perfectly and here we have yet another Blue Note hiccup. Could they not have seamed the intro from a regular old 16-bit disc into the salvagable masters for the final production of this? And why is it usually just on the start-up of a session? Listen closely to the RVG of "The Turnaround" it's got the same thing going on, but to a much lesser degree than "The Rock", and never had the glitch on the Collector's Choice issue. I got a feeling that all of these things are just plugged in and walked away from until the bell rings bringing McMaster or who ever back from break-time.

I know...bitch bitch bitch...yea yea...it's all about the music. Well get the music right would ya! Just waiting for the next selects to have the booklets printed on tracing paper,too.

:tdown

Thanks for the heads up, guys! Guess I'll be sticking with my individual cds and passing on the Mosaic.

Man, we gotta be careful about "upgrading" our older stuff!!

Seems like the older stuff may end up sounding better as these tapes continue to degrade with all the remasterings.

Watch out "Blue Train!!"

I e-mailed Mosaic last night about this matter -- still haven't received a reply yet. That disclaimer in the booklet about organ distortion cannot refer to the sound of a tape being eaten alive. So much for Mosaic's "exacting state-of-the-art standards"! I've ordered a total of 4 sets from Mosaic (Lee Morgan/Wayne Shorter, Moncur Select, Chambers Select, and Patton Select) -- and two of them have been a hack job.