Wayne Shorter - Alegria

bertrand

Before I rush out and buy the new Shorter CD - does the Japanese version of this have any bonus tracks like Footprints Live did? A quick search of the web found several vendors who had an import and the track listing was the same as the U.S. CD. Of course, the European version of High Life had two extra minutes on 'Midnight In Carlotta's Hair'...

I actually was at Tower and remembered this conundrum on my way to the register. I put it on hold knowing that my friends at Organissimo would no doubt have an answer for me. I tried to find an e-mail for Verve on their site but didn't see one.

I want to buy this ASAP as I'm going to see him in Bethlehem, PA on 4/5 and I'd like to 'absorb' this record by then.

Thnaks in advance,

Bertrand.

Thanks guys - I picked it up tonight and listened once so far. Every track is totally different from the next (possibly because it's been recorded over the last few years).

Wayne is trying something different and very interesting with his tenor playing - his solo on 'Orbits' hovers between R & B and free jazz, and he's trying that singing through the horn thing that Dewey Redman does.

It's going to be another one of those Shorter albums where something new pops up everytime I listen to it.

Bertrand.

I have not been able to warm up to this one. I don't like the stop and start rhythms or the string arrangements and don't find much of Wayne's playing very moving or lyrical.

Maybe I need to hear this on vinyl. ;)

I will keep listening to it before I give a review>

( By the way anyone who likes the string things should buy Tony Williams last one. )

I just heard Alegria for the first time yesterday. This is a big winner for me, easily my favorite Shorter album in a long time.

What a delight to hear such fresh-sounding compositions and playing coming from an elder statesman who is smack in the tradition! Those very first howls on the soprano let you know right away that something really NEW is coming. Beautiful music all the way around.

Wayne Shorter is now more than just a living legend. He is a living legend alive!

Jazz has been around so long that it needs to get shorter!

Edited by John L