Mosaic Hard Bop/Modern Jazz?

Brad

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have all of it on LPs, but it would be great to see it reissued. Damn, I would buy the set just for the cardboard box and booklet. New York, Fall 1974; Five Pieces 1975 and Montreux/Berlin Concerts represent some of my favorite music that he has ever made--monster lineups too (Holland, Lewis, Wheeler et al.). I think an Arista set would be a mixed bag for most people, though, with albums such as For Four Orchestras (Comp 82) and For Two Pianos (Comp 95) also being from that label (though I dig those too, albeit infrequently). Yet those are important recordings if you want to get a better scope of his creative interests and therefore need to be included, IMO. The set might be too massive (i.e. expensive) if they inculde it all. There is also the lovely duo album with Abrams and the double album of solo material. And who knows what outtakes might be sitting in the can. Yeah, it would be spendy.

I guess I never realized there was a For Two Pianos on Arista. Those small group records are classics.

But speaking of Xanadu, what about a Mosaic Select for the bop lps they did. I think that would be a tremendous idea. I believe there were 6 LPs. Don't know, however, if it would be enough for a Select although maybe you could do it in a couple of Singles, if not.

http://jazzlabels.klacto.net/xanadu.html

plenty of good looking stuff there!

The 'Complete Xanadu Live at Montreux' would make a really nice Select.

The info comes from Michael Cuscuna via an email to a jazz pen pal. This has been an idea of his since the company started.

True. I wrote him a letter (this was pre-email) back in 1990 (hardly the beginning of the company, but around the time when it became obvious that they were going to be around for the long haul) asking him about this & he said that he needed some "distance from the experience" or something like that, but that that it was going to happen eventually. I get the impression that making all those "extended" (i.e. - non-quartet) albums for Arista required some gamesmanship and such and ended up being somewhat...stressful.

But lately it's been licensing issues. And now they appear to be solved.

Great news!

Is this going to be a good way to get introduced to Braxton? Never heard him.

MG

No Hammond B-3.

Braxton + B3 might be an interesting thing to hear (or maybe not). Mark Whitecage recorded with an organ - with good results - on Dom Minasi's Quick Response CD. I realize that Braxton ain't Whitecage, but who knows?

Edited by paul secor

How about a Teddy Charles box? Loads of wonderful material there...a fair share oop. A licensing nightmare?

Not that it really means anything today, but when I was a real hound for vinyl back in the 80's those Braxton Aristas were some of the most frequently found items in second-hand bins ... they usually went for about $2.98 ... now Mosaic is contemplating a box!! How things have changed ...

Also, before anything else, how about a ROD LEVITT Mosiac treatment? His work is definitely worth making available again ...

Not that it really means anything today, but when I was a real hound for vinyl back in the 80's those Braxton Aristas were some of the most frequently found items in second-hand bins ... they usually went for about $2.98 ... now Mosaic is contemplating a box!! How things have changed ...

That's when I picked mine up. Amazing, isn't it?

Also, before anything else, how about a ROD LEVITT Mosiac treatment? His work is definitely worth making available again ...

I think I wrote Mosaic a few years ago with that suggestion. Don't remember their response. Definitely worth emailing them about it again. His three RCA albums wouldn't fit on a Mosaic Single and won't be enough to fill a three-disc Select.

I think I wrote Mosaic a few years ago with that suggestion. Don't remember their response. Definitely worth emailing them about it again. His three RCA albums wouldn't fit on a Mosaic Single and won't be enough to fill a three-disc Select.

How about a complete RCA Jazz Workshop box adding those two?

Thinking about this issue of Mosaic and Modern Jazz in general, my feeling is that Mosaic has to be interested in consistency. The firm can't go around issuing huge boxes in which a large proportion of the material isn't up to scratch - though a few duff tracks are probably OK.

That seems to impose a natural limitation on Modern Jazz boxes. There were several labels that aimed for, and achieved, great consistency in their different kinds of Modern Jazz output: Blue Note; Prestige; Contemporary; Riverside/Jazzland; Atlantic; Impulse; Argo/Cadet (to an extent); Pacific Jazz; Roost; Verve (pre Creed Taylor). NOT the majors, in my view (though there are exceptions such as Miles Davis).

Riverside, Prestige and Contemporary are simply not available to Mosaic. Nor is a lot of Atlantic, it seems. Blue Note has pretty well been mined for Mosaic boxes. PJ and Roost were both fairly small - though there seem to be one or two possibilities, such as Les McCann and ?Stan Getz. A lot of the best Verve material has already been put into boxes by Verve - though Jacquet and Webster Verve Mosaics would be welcome (but Modern Jazz?). But really, you can count the musicians who might be candidates for big boxes from those labels without resorting to toes.

Otherwise, you have to look at the later small jazz-oriented indies like Freedom, Inner City, Palo Alto etc. And can you build many big boxes from those? I rather doubt it. Certainly Selects could come from such sources, but not big boxes.

MG

MG,

Interesting post. I agree that Mosaic, at least from a big box perspective, is running out of material. I'm sure they have had discussions with many of the labels you mention about the availability of their inventory, but talking about having access and having access are two different things. What's most interesting to me is that while these labels have no intention of putting out a lot of the material Mosaic would like to get ahold of, especially in these days of declining CD sales, they are unwilling to allow anyone else access to it. Seems like you'd want to make some money off a catalogue as opposed to nothing at all, but I guess that's not the case. Frankly, I think this may be why Mosaic is considering the Braxton box, to see what kind of market there may be out there for more outside titles.

Another option might be to expand upon their original concept by putting together boxes that are focused on labels as opposed to individual artists. I know Blue Note played around with the Pacific Jazz catalogue a few years back to less than satisfactory results, but what if you could put together a set of obscurities from a given label that would otherwise never see the light of day? Surely there has to be some kind of market for this.

I'll tell you one thing. I'd love to be a crumb on the table when Mosaic is having discussions about their future. You could put those recordings together in a box set and I'd buy 'em.

Up over and out.

A set of obscurities from a given label that otherwise would not see the light of day. . . .

Wasn't that the concept behind the Capitol, and Columbia Swing box sets?

So yes, hope they keep it up. And there's still mileage for Mosaic in my opinion in the pre-bop years of jazz.

A set of obscurities from a given label that otherwise would not see the light of day. . . .

Wasn't that the concept behind the Capitol, and Columbia Swing box sets?

So yes, hope they keep it up. And there's still mileage for Mosaic in my opinion in the pre-bop years of jazz.

Lon,

Same idea but I was thinking along the lines of lesser known labels like Pacific Jazz, Cadet, Crown, King, Argo, Roost and the like. As I envision it, these boxes would be more focused on bop and post-bop, which, IMO, is still Mosaic's bread and butter.

The other thing that's occurred to me is looking into the European scene. I know they might face some issues with name recognition but, man, there's a lot of A-list stuff to be found on the other side of the pond.

Up over and out.