Mosaic Hard Bop/Modern Jazz?

Brad

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was that Felsted project, as far as label-oriented boxes go.

MG: the Getz Roost material is out on a beautiful Blue Note 3CD box (same design as the Morgan Lighthouse and Herbie Nichols sets). Much of that (the parts with Jimmy Raney) were on the Getz/Raney Mosaic, so that's not an option.

I like Weizen's Teddy Charles idea, by the way! I haven't heard a lot of his music and he certainly holds quite some interest! That Bird album is magnificient! I guess there's more along those lines? The Bethlehem "Salute to Hamp" is quite nice, too. The session on the Mingus Atlantic box (all or most of that's on the "Word for Bird" album, I think, filling up the great tentet tracks) is rather tame, though, not to say lame...

And what's the word about that Gary Burton RCA? Is that still in the pipeline?

And as for Mosaic singles, there was at least one more Kenton Presents album that hasn't been covered by Mosaic (Cooper, Holman, Rosolino were in that box, Chaloff had one, too, no?) - the one I'm thinking of is the Claude Williamson trio - I had borrowed the LP once from a friend's late dad.

I'm all for label-centred boxes, by the way! The HRS is magnificient, the Capitol collects loads of ok, good and some quite great material.

As for Verve, I'd be all for an Illinois Jacquet that would continue the story from where the 1945-1950 box ends. Also Ben Webster, though there it's not really necessary... or is there something unreleased?

Then how about Harry Edison? I have Swinger/Mr. Swing, Sweets, Buddy & Sweets, and the one with Buck Clayton that was on that "Swing Trumpet Kings" 2CD set... was there more that would fit into a box? I think he also did some easy listening stuff...

Also how about some Lunceford? I have the Masters of Jazz series, luckily, and the later recordings (MoJ folded before they arrived there) seem to be somewhat weaker, yet... maybe a Columbia (Vocalion/OkeH whatever) Lunceford box?

Or compiling all the non-Billie H. Teddy Wilson sides? Sort of a companion to the Sony box? Now that I'd love to see!

Or some Benny Carter collection?

Something Coleman Hawkins?

Oh, and how about more Mulligan?

I was just playing discs 1 & 2 of the Concert Jazz Band box last night and considered for a minute ordering the Mulligan Select along with running low Moncur one (went with the Carmell Jones, instead, going by numbers).

The complete Mulligan meets the Saxophonists sessions? The one with Webster is out as good as it gets in the 2CD VME, but the Hodges is a crappy LPR with no additional material, the Getz is an ooooold CD, the Desmond is stunning anyway (they could also add the RCA sessions with Desmond, possibly, as they did RCA material before, and Sony material anyway).

Also there are boots of the CJB - from 1960 in California and from the Vanguard gig that resulted in the CJB at the Village Vanguard album. Not sure they'd fit onto a Select, but that would be one hell of a great release (though legally problematic, I assume...)

Something they could do is a 1962-66 post-CJB Verve/Philips/Limelight box. That's 7 albums, some of which have been on OOP Japanese CDs, and some of which are on inferior-sounding Andorran LP transfers. Only Night Lights has been out in the west, I think.

Another idea might be the 1955-56 sextet sessions, three albums on EmArcy/Mercury. There are a lot of alternate takes from those sessions, so a 3-CD set would be possible. None of these albums has been on CD in the west, surprisingly. Two have been on Japanese CDs, and the third is on a Membran CD. All three are also on an Andorran set.

Something they could do is a 1962-66 post-CJB Verve/Philips/Limelight box. That's 7 albums, some of which have been on OOP Japanese CDs, and some of which are on inferior-sounding Andorran LP transfers. Only Night Lights has been out in the west, I think.

Another idea might be the 1955-56 sextet sessions, three albums on EmArcy/Mercury. There are a lot of alternate takes from those sessions, so a 3-CD set would be possible. None of these albums has been on CD in the west, surprisingly. Two have been on Japanese CDs, and the third is on a Membran CD. All three are also on an Andorran set.

Both great proposals! I'm not familiar with much of Mulligans non Pacific Jazz discography... what about that Columbia quartet album with Art Farmer, "What Is There To Say?" - is there more of that, or could it be added to the EmArcy albums?

Just found this, will have some reading to do!

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/natlib/ihas/warehous...003721/0001.pdf

Then how about Harry Edison? I have Swinger/Mr. Swing, Sweets, Buddy & Sweets, and the one with Buck Clayton that was on that "Swing Trumpet Kings" 2CD set... was there more that would fit into a box? I think he also did some easy listening stuff...

There's some Roulette and Enrica albums - don't know who owns Enrica masters.

Great musicians both! And no Mosaic boxes.

But none of these are modernists :)

MG

There's some Roulette and Enrica albums - don't know who owns Enrica masters.

Great musicians both! And no Mosaic boxes.

But none of these are modernists :)

MG

No, of course not, but that's the usual thread drift... Carter had about a disc's worth in the Capitol box (great stuff, of course!).

How about more Vanguard material - those brilliant Vic Dickenson/Jo Jones jam sessions for example?

I heard a couple of those in the sixties, courtesy of Derek Stuart-Baxter, who ran the local record shop, and who raved about them. I got a very strong impression that they were too relaxed for their own good.

MG

How about more Vanguard material - those brilliant Vic Dickenson/Jo Jones jam sessions for example?

I heard a couple of those in the sixties, courtesy of Derek Stuart-Baxter, who ran the local record shop, and who raved about them. I got a very strong impression that they were too relaxed for their own good.

MG

What I've heard sounds very fine to me. Different strokes, I guess.

I once sent an e-mail to Mosaic suggesting Vanguard & Storyville sessions. MC wrote back saying that these are currently owned by people who are not very keen on working with Mosaic.

Any more Mulligan would be great. The sextet sessions with Brookmeyer & Zoot Sims especially. Too bad Norman Granz did not own Verve longer to record more Mulligan. It would have been great to have Mulligan record with Jack Teagarden or Pee Wee Russell for example.

And as for Mosaic singles, there was at least one more Kenton Presents album that hasn't been covered by Mosaic (Cooper, Holman, Rosolino were in that box, Chaloff had one, too, no?) - the one I'm thinking of is the Claude Williamson trio - I had borrowed the LP once from a friend's late dad.

I am not sure that the fine "Kenton Presents Boots Mussulli" album has been reissued on CD either ... that could be added to the package ..

I emailed Mosaic 4 or 5 years ago and suggested a Roost, Roulette, or PJ "rescue mission" sort of set - much akin to the huge Capitol set. A label based set that would be comprised of stuff that is not able to be fit into an artist associated set. There was some website I found a few years ago that had listings of everything recorded on Roost and Roulette and I thought - these would be great sets just like the Capitol! I saw that Dave and Lon have sort of mentioned something similar. So I sent the email and got a very lukewarm response. Maybe times have changed?

ah well, I'm at work so I didn't google too long for that... but I'll try and finally grab a DVD of "Blow Up" for the real thing some day... (I've seen it on the big screen of course, but it would be nice to have it handy at home!)

My memory may be failing me, but I don't remember much in the way of Mods after 1964. "Blow up" was what, 1966? 1967?

MG

I am not sure that the fine "Kenton Presents Boots Mussulli" album has been reissued on CD either ... that could be added to the package ..

It has, but only in Japan. Quite hard to get (and obviously expensive if you CAN find it).

ah well, I'm at work so I didn't google too long for that... but I'll try and finally grab a DVD of "Blow Up" for the real thing some day... (I've seen it on the big screen of course, but it would be nice to have it handy at home!)

My memory may be failing me, but I don't remember much in the way of Mods after 1964. "Blow up" was what, 1966? 1967?

MG

Y'all in the UK were ahead of us in the States. We were still phasing out of Mod in 66-67.

garthsj, Fresh Sounds did this one if you're interested. I have it, nothing earth shattering but decent enough.

51NF46YR0RL._SS500_.jpg

• 1 year later...

A James Moddy Cadet/Argo box would be high up on my list.

any connection to mods?

MODS-2.jpg

Too moodern! :) Birds didn't dye their hair like that in the sixties - probably those dyes hadn't been invented even. This is retro-mod.

MG

I had one of those Parkas back in the 1970s (last Depression). Furry hood ! No RAF decal though.

Time to buy another.. ;)

Edited by sidewinder