Mosaic Hard Bop/Modern Jazz?

Brad

I still think an Archie Shepp Impulse! box would be tops.

How many of those records made it to CD in the first place, and how many are OOP now? Fire Music certainly is which is an absolute crime.

They're OOP alright, but I guess Mosaic wouldn't do that, arguing that those who wanted to buy them did get them... some terrific music, though, on albums like "Mama Too Tight", "Live in San Francisco", "Four for Trane", "Fire Music", and "On This Night"! These and the Newport disc were all part of those Impulse Master Series or whatever it was called, roughly 1996-99 I think? So was "The Way Ahead".

The album "Three for a Quarter, One for a Dime" was included on "Live in San Francisco" as a bonus.

"The Way Ahead" included two bonus tracks from "Kwanza".

"Black Gypsy" was part of the Free America series.

"Attica Blues", "The Cry of My People" and "Kwanza" were reissued in the LPR/Originals series.

That leaves about four albums or so (including one with Philly Joe done for America, and the fine "For Losers" and "Magic of Ju-Ju", both of which MCA/Verve somehow missed to bring back in the late 90s).

I think that's just not interesting enough. Also it would be too large a set. And some of the late music isn't quite that great, while most albums do include some fine music, which would probably still cause Mosaic to do it as a 1964-67 Impulse box, if they ever did it, which would again mean that except for "Ju-Ju", there'd be no new music on it...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of those records made it to CD in the first place, and how many are OOP now? Fire Music certainly is which is an absolute crime.

They're OOP alright, but I guess Mosaic wouldn't do that, arguing that those who wanted to buy them did get them... some terrific music, though, on albums like "Mama Too Tight", "Live in San Francisco", "Four for Trane", "Fire Music", and "On This Night"! These and the Newport disc were all part of those Impulse Master Series or whatever it was called, roughly 1996-99 I think? So was "The Way Ahead".

The album "Three for a Quarter, One for a Dime" was included on "Live in San Francisco" as a bonus.

"Attica Blues", "The Cry of My People" and "Kwanza" were reissued in the LPR/Originals series.

That leaves about four albums or so (including one with Philly Joe done for America, and the fine "For Losers" and "Magic of Ju-Ju", both of which MCA/Verve somehow missed to bring back in the late 90s).

I think that's just not interesting enough. Also it would be too large a set. And some of the late music isn't quite that great, while most albums do include some fine music, which would probably still cause Mosaic to do it as a 1964-67 Impulse box, if they ever did it, which would again mean that except for "Ju-Ju", there'd be no new music on it...

Thanks for the fantastic summary. Mosaic probably should have done such a box in the mid-90s. The music is certainly worth the Mosaic treatment. Apparently, they missed their chance.

Thanks for the fantastic summary. Mosaic probably should have done such a box in the mid-90s. The music is certainly worth the Mosaic treatment. Apparently, they missed their chance.

Yep, I'd have been all over that set!

On the other hand, I love those 96-99 Impulse digipacks a lot as well... (the packaging got flimsy towards the end of the run, see Coltrane/Shepp at Newport, Coltrane's "Ascension" or "Insterstellar Space", but none of the Shepps were afflicted by that... "On This Night", btw, was only available as a GRP CD, packed in regular jewel case).

Anyway, Mosaic didn't have access to Universal's vaults back then, and they've never tackled any Impulse material. And after all, in the current sorry-ass state of CD reissues, Universal's "Originals" series is quite outstanding (though I still hate that they don't include bonus tracks that were on older versions of the CDs...)

It's probably been suggested before, but how about "The Complete Enja Recordings of Mal Waldron"?

Looks like there were at least 10 LPs issued between 1971 and 1981. I'm familiar with only a few of them, but I'd love to hear more!

Good idea, but MC once implied that foreign producers are less likely to relinquish control of their catalogue distribution. I once suggested an ECM set, and he stated that such a set would be difficult for just this reason. So I would assume the same roadblocks would exist with the 2 Enja guys.

Anyway, Mosaic didn't have access to Universal's vaults back then, and they've never tackled any Impulse material.

Except for the Oliver Nelson set.

I guess Impulse! tends to be neglected by Mosaic because there are relatively few artists with a large group of albums on that label, and those that there are (Coltrane, Shepp, Tyner), have been covered by individual releases.

However, they could do a five or six-disc Impulse! set of Shirley Scott (who has been neglected by Universal thus far), and I wish they would.

It's probably been suggested before, but how about "The Complete Enja Recordings of Mal Waldron"?

Looks like there were at least 10 LPs issued between 1971 and 1981. I'm familiar with only a few of them, but I'd love to hear more!

Good idea, but MC once implied that foreign producers are less likely to relinquish control of their catalogue distribution. I once suggested an ECM set, and he stated that such a set would be difficult for just this reason. So I would assume the same roadblocks would exist with the 2 Enja guys.

Agreed. But, presumably, there were many roadblocks with the Braxton Arista stuff, and (thankfully!), it was finally released.

I can dream, can't I? :)

Covering the impulse catalog would seem to be an obvious choice for future projects. Lot of good stuff there, not just Coltrane, etc. I have cds by Art Blakey, Curtis Fuller, Sonny Rollins, Lucky Thompson, McCoy Tyner and Sonny Stitt on the one hand and Benny Carter, Paul Gonsalves, Freddie Hubbard, Earl Hines, and Pee Wee Russell on the other. Perhaps you could get some interesting Selects out of these, at the least.

The Impulse catalogue has been covered rather extensively. I'd be willing to bet that fewer than 10 titles remain to be reissued.

I was thinking of a box set but some of these things are not rarities. Verve did put out some when they were doing the LPR series.

Wish they would do a 'Complete 1950s Tempo Label Sessions'. A box of that would kick ass and be right up there with a primo Blue Note box.

Tubby Hayes, Hayes/Scott 'Jazz Couriers', Dizzy Reece, Jimmy Deuchar, Victor Feldman, Bogie Gaynair, Eddie Thompson. OK, so a lot of it has been reissued by Jasmine on LP/CD and some by the Japanese on vinyl. A luxury big box with a nice booklet and the Malcolm Addey remastering treatment wouldn't go amiss though. :cool:

Possibly add in there a Jazz Couriers 'Mosaic Select'?

The only drawback is that I understand that the original masters might be MIA.

Edited by sidewinder