BNBB refugees

I’m here. Whoo hoo!! But, where is everybody else?

Where should I begin? Most posters at the BNBB don’t know much about me. I didn’t post much, just a couple here and there. However, I’ve spent MANY evenings sitting between my stereo speakers, laptop computer beside me, listening to the great music recommended and discussed at the BNBB. You may not know much about me but I do recognize and appreciate all the names of the regular BNBB posters.

I’d been a registered user at the BNBB for less than a year. Although I felt welcome at the BNBB, I didn’t feel like a true member of ‘The Family’ (yet). Most of the regular posters, it seemed, had quite a history of discussing the music, arguing about politics, and posting nice pictures (of women, yeah!) for each other.

When Blue Note killed the boards, something clicked for me, and I immediately felt I was part of The Family. I felt that when Blue Note broke the family, they broke something in me too. Where did MY boards go? Where did MY jazz archives/information go?

I’ve been listening to jazz since the mid 1980s. Compared to anybody else I know I’m considered a jazz fanatic, aficionado, and expert. When I started monitoring the BNBB I discovered my jazz knowledge was DWARFED by the knowledge of the posters at the BNBB.

Did you know, before I discovered the BNBB (approximately 2 years ago) I didn’t know about Hank Mobley? Yeah, believe it. Since then, I’ve purchased ALL the available Mobley RVGs, Conns, and the Mosaic box. Hank has become one of my very favorites (all due to The Family at the BNBB).

Which brings me to my next subject…

One of our Blue Note brethren, a long-standing member of The Family, creates a web site that not only mirrors the old BNBB site, but also enhances it with the best bulletin board software I’ve ever seen. I believed, when B3-er created his site, The Family would return to fill the space with warmth and knowledge and jazz. "If you build it, they will come."

But, where IS The Family? Hmmm… the BNBB regulars appear to be spending most of their efforts posting at the All About Jazz site. What’s up with this? It appears the Members list continues to grow at Organissimo but the Members are posting elsewhere. THIS, Organissimo, is the best jazz discussion site on the internet, especially for the old Blue Note crowd. The board software is better, the forums are better, and 'the family' is better. I’m not sure why most of the old BNBB crowd continues to post at AAJ (which has nearly nothing to do with the old Blue Note group) rather than here, among friends. Like, I don’t get it. Can you help me to understand?

I’ve already heard from one former BNBB poster who claims a moderator at the AAJ deleted his post. Is this because it wasn’t appropriate? What else might be deemed not appropriate? Doesn’t this sound just a little too familiar? What IS appropriate, exactly? I don’t know. I like the idea of free speech, myself. Yeah, free speech is offered at Organissimo too.

Besides, how long can you stomach that single, looooooooong, and unorganized forum?

PD, why do you continue to attempt to post images at the AAJ? How about posting them over here? Catesta, we need some action (and some fun) at Organissimo! Berigan, maybe you could start a new Women thread? Lon, when you complete your board hiatus this site would greatly benefit from your knowledge and opinions (as would I, personally). Ed Swinnich, are you still listening to that Four Freshmen box? JSngry, we could use your wisdom. Kevin Bresnahan, where are you hiding? Chuck Nessa, I know you’re registered here!

Here I go…

WHAT’S THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE? WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? STOP POSTING YOUR CRAP OVER ‘THERE’ AND START POSTING YOUR CRAP OVER ‘HERE.’

Ahhhemm…

I’m sure B3-er would give us a Tomatbluenote forum if we asked. We’d be able to chew on ol’ Tom over here. Since he doesn’t respond anyway, we might as well post ‘em here, just like home.

In the words of Bill O’Rielly, “Am I wrong?” :huh:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm here. I'll be here, and some of the other sites as well. I've been VERY busy at home the last few days, besides following the BNBB diaspora. Honestly, I don't know that I'll be posting anywhere w/the frequency I did at BN, simply because of some non-emergency-but-still-important personal matters coming up (nothing major, just important).

But B-3'er is a fellow player, and to me, that gives him an edge from jump street. I WILL be around!

wesbad,

I'm glad you've decided to get involved. I know, like myself, you see this board as the best place for us all to come. Truely, only time will tell. Things WILL work out. A few more post deletions....and, well...you know how everyone feels about that sort of thing. I still see the potential this place has being filled by the rest of the BNBB population. It just may take a little time and a few more gaffs over at AAJ.

Build it and they will come. I think that's true. If B3-er's board is built better than AAJ, then he will prevail. I think it is. Also, most are probably waiting until the forums are listed on the AAJ over the weekend. But ultimately, I sense a bit of a strict vibe over there. We'll see. Let's just have patience. :D

Well, as John Tappscott pointed out on another topic, it hasn't been that long since the axe fell, and I think we're still in the sorting out phase. I wouldn't give up too quickly on this board emerging as THE hangout for us exBNer's...

And wesbed, you've BEEN part of the family! ;)

I looked over AAJ a couple of days ago and was undecided about registering. When I looked here it seemed like home.

I guess I was naive, but I had some notion that the BN Board could be rebuilt if the members started posting again. When my first post was ridiculously censored, it was sayonara. I'm glad to be here.

This is for everyone now registered here or thinking of joining the fray. I'm Joe Gloss, guitarist for organissimo. I never posted at BNBB, just occasionally checked it out if Jim mentioned something interesting going on over there.

I just want to say how blown away I am by the response Jim has gotten from all of you concerning this forum. I had no idea that such a tight-knit and self-supportive community had been created over at BNBB. Even though I had nothing to do with setting this up, I would still be bursting with pride for my buddy Jim and for all of us together if everybody were to stick around and make this a regular hang. Blue Note's loss would be our gain, as a community like this would make the organissimo site so much more than just a promotional spot for the band.

So thanks for coming 'round, and I hope to be chatting with all of you for a long time to come.

Cheers, Joe G

The only board I visited was the BNBB. Now that I'm registered at AAJ and here, I intend to visit both. It's nice to have a solid alternative. This is a cool place!

Now if the old politcal junkies would just show up and start things simmering......... ;)

I've actually grown more torn over the last day or two. This is a closer recreation of the BN board and since it was started specifcally to host us refugees, I think we do feel more comfortable here. (Besides, the forum software is terrific!)

On the other hand, the AAJ website (not just the forums) is well-established and pretty darn good to boot. The changes that the board is undergoing this weekend should also make it more like the old BN board (or here!).

It really is too soon to tell how things will shake out. I'm pleased to see what some of the topics are here (John Paton! Jimmy Smith!), and I believe that both boards will eventually develop their own identities. I'm sure I'll stick with them both.

Ray

Okay, this is Lon, I decided to be jazzbo just because it's a new dawn, it's a new day. . . .

I'm not going to be posting much anywhere, but this looks like the place to be posting; good folk, kindly started by an important BNBB member to be a haven. . . .

The decimation of the BNBB I actually found to be a relief! I had started a new job (within the same agency) that only allows me about an hour of free computer time a day, my lunch hour. . . . It's been a great thing for me but I thought I would be missing a lot at the BNBB. Well, that turned out to be so very very untrue. All that is left there is Greg, swimming around waiting for someone to complain so he can say "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!"

AAJ looks good, but because this one was created out of whole cloth to be a BNBB replacement, I'm going to lend it my support. I'll not be posting as much as I was before, but I'll be around. Hang tough brethren . . . international hard times ahead!

Great to see some of the "heavies" dropping by like Jsngry and Lon (jazzbo)! But, I'm certainly glad many of us have made our way here.

I think the AAJ board is fine. Especially with the forums now. I'm certainly not against going there...it's just that I keep coming here! Why?...well...it just feels nice. I go a lot on feel... about everything.

I like it here, and I'm just too lazy to keep ping-ponging between two places...! :)

My quandary, the same as everybody else… I like it here, however, the changes at AAJ are quite positive. I see no problem with having two boards except that I was accustomed to going to ONE source for jazz information, discussion, rants, whatever.

I go a lot on 'feel' too.I remember, back in the days of the ‘browser wars,’ I kept using Netscape just because it felt nicer to me. Finally, Internet Explorer became enough more-advanced. At the same time, AOL purchased Netscape and turned it into a generic/corporate/commercial looking thing. I switched to Internet Explorer because it provided the cozier (at least, less overwhelming) feel for me.

I feel the same way about this site. It seems cozier, friendlier, less obstructed. I believe we will all trend to the site that proves livelier. I’m kinda waiting to see where the action goes. I’m hoping it moves here if only one site remains active.

Watching THIS board grow has been quite enjoyable. The number of Members continues to climb. Meanwhile, I can keep two browser windows open, if necessary. My computer won’t complain.

Edited by wesbed

I am in harmony with my universe again. Thanks b3-er for your fine work here. After the Verveification of the BNBB I momentarily thought Harlem.org could be the answer, but no.

AAJ became a pain in the ass immediately. None of us "refugees" need a condescending school teacher to greet us with a lecture about what we may discuss in posts. I'd rather go to the dentist than participate on that board.

This is the place!

Thanks again b3-er.

I signed on too.. it looks and feels nicer than the others... maybe because it was a vacant desert isle.. to use the shipwreck analogies over at AAJ.. no hostile natives, though it is to be expected. I was a bit taken aback by us "swimming ashore" and immediately demanding they put their house into OUR order...

It surprised me more that they did, but I acknowledge as Jim mentioned somewhere.. this influx was a big boost for the commercial potential of that board. If I owned it I'd welcome a 150 -200 new overnight members too.

This board is laid out really well, better than the "new" AAJ, and as I said, most, probably but a couple of B3's friends who might be here, have something in common..we were trashed by BN. A common adversity makes bed fellows of us all.

I'm a liitle torn up about it, to a retired OF jazz nut the BNBB became a second family...spent alot of time laughing and crying with you guys( +girl).. hell it wasn't just jazz, it was passing of pets, sick kids, Aricisms good and bad etc... no need to spell it all out... I think the hard core crowd felt the same.... if not you put on a good show... I'd buy a used car from any of you, or a beer for you if you ever show up on the doorstep

But regardless of the commercial aspect of AAJ, and don't be fooled.. if I were B3 and had a really active board / site...I'd see what income it could bring, I feel I owe AAJ some reasonable amount of attention for pulling us out of the debris... Harlem was hell..boring Hell...

So I guess I'll do both until I see where the majority of the kin folk settle.. do like this environment better though

Shit can I post images??????

B3 I ordered your CD, should be here tomorrow.. if you perform on your organ.. the keyboard kind... as well as you perfomed putting this together I'm sure its a gas.

Another "refugee" has arrived. I've registered here (and at AAJ), and I look forward to continued pleasurable hours of lurking, learning, and occasionally posting.

This site is so flexible, easy to use, and pretty. Thanks B3 :D

I'm here - or, as Dexter Gordon used to say "Have no fear, Dexter is here."

Well, I'm not Dexter, just pepe from the old BNBB. I also registered at AAJ.

I think this is a difficult situation. AAJ is really doing fine job welcoming hundreds of BN-refugees, adjusting their board lay out to our preferences and after just a couple of days coming forward as a really nice place to be. I'm quite impressed by their efficiency reacting so quickly to our needs. They also have a lot of interesting stuff besides the board function.

And then it's this place, reminding me very much of the old BNBB and having many from the old gang on board - and again, I'm impressed.

I'm afraid this means I'll spend more time at my computer than I used to.

Maybe I look forward to a merger.

Edited by pepe