What is your biggest music related D'oh!?

BERIGAN

Ok. I blame a crappy job, and being tired, not a lack of jazz knowledge! :rolleyes:

So I go into tower records, after working till 11 pm, with not much money in my pocket a few years ago(unlike today when I go in there with not much money in my pocket) Anyway, I saw a Johnny Hodges cd for sale, 7.99, 8.99 tops, from RCA. I think, it was this cd In a Mellow Tone (I can't find the cover of this cd on the web) Then, my brain decides to fill in what I think I have read. Johnny Hodges with Wild Bill Davison! Cool! Cool Alto, with Hot Cornet! I have never heard of this record before! Wonder how well they work together??? So, I buy it, and put it on...hmmmm.....I hear Hodges, but where is Wild Bill? All I hear is this damn Organist!!! :angry: (If saying this doesn't get me thrown off the board, nothing will! :g ) Next track, no Wild Bill Davison! So, I start looking thru the liner notes...Wild Bill Davis! On Organ!!! D'oh! indeed!

I probably didn't give the cd a fair chance after that..I sold it soon afterwards...It's like expecting ice cream, and getting Orange Juice..you may like both, but if you wanted some Ice Cream now...

Anyway, I learned something. There should be a law against two artists having virtually the same name ( or the same name, Bill Evans?)

So....bare your soul today, admit your musical sins....

Edited by BERIGAN

John Zorn's "Songs From the Hermetic Theatre"

I mentioned this album already in the "Anti-recommendations" thread, but I'm still kicking myself because I was going to check out the sound samples on amazon.com before I bought it. My gut was telling me to do so, but I didn't listen. When I was at the store, I was trying to decide between this and one of the live Masada cds by Zorn that I knew I would like. Aaaargh!

This is the worst cd I've bought in years.

$16.98 plus tax....ouch! I wish I had an emoticon of money going down the toilet (I bet Catesta has one)

I have a lot of instances of d'oh. How about selling off cds that turn out to be ultra-rare and being worth 50 times more than I sold it for. I've done that a few times.

I check out the stevehoffman.tv forums often and I've realized that I've made quite a few d'oh's by getting rid of older versions for the new shiny remaster. You know, the kind that are so compressed that your ears bleed.

To my embarassment, I have to admit that on a couple of occasions, I've purchased cds that I already had. Not remastered versions, but the exact same version. Of course I tore the wrapping off before I got home and when I went to put them away. I discovered that they had a twin. Ooof!

:excited:

My two biggest "D'ohs!", which caused me much embarassment as a jazz newbie, now make me laugh. The first one was thinking that Tina Brooks was a woman after first encountering an album with him on it. My second "D'oh!" occurred when I purchased the Coltrane Village Vanguard set. I was wondering who the bass clarinet player was, and I was disappointed that it was some guy named Harold Land, because I had thought it was Eric Dolphy! ;)

Edited by Nutty

Guest Mnytime

My biggest d'oh's involve buying CD's I already own. That's when you know your collection is getting big when you're really not sure if you already own that recording. As well as letting you know you must not have listened to that recording in a while. :D It also let's me know that I might need to cut back on the morphine. ;)

I just did it again buying a Hank Mobley CD for $14 from riverrat through the All About Jazz site that I already had. The worst thing about it is I was at home and could have easily checked on my computer or walked over to where my record & CD collection happens to be. Luckily I was able to sell it to a friend that I knew was looking for it.

I spent months doggedly pursuing a live Stan Getz CD that I had as a part of a boxed set. It's not ENTIRELY my fault. I had forgotten that it was on the set. I couldn't find any info online (including on the AMG site) that indicated that this set was now available on a boxed set. It was only when it finally arrived in the mail that I knew that I had heard it before. I wound up giving it to a co-worker...

The one that stands out in my mind was when I took Intro to Jazz at the local community college (at the time I had five jazz CDs; three Coltranes, Kind of Blue, and Time Out) and blew a question on a test by confusing Thelonious Monk and Charles Mingus. I don't know how, dammit! :blink:

When I was just starting to seriously play in my sophomore year of high school, a tenor playing friend called "Someday My Prince Will Come" on a gig. I dutifully looked up the tune in my fake book, not realizing that my book had it in F for some reason when it's played in B flat about 95% of the time. Oops. That was a train wreck to remember!

Man, my latest "d'oh" is painful both fiscally and musically.

Remember my "Dusty Groove-itis" thread? Well, I did miss out on the Paul Griffin "Soul Sauce" LP but it got me thinking and I decided to see if I could track it down. Took no time at all as it turned out to be listed on a website I had cruised several times but never actually ordered from.

But what's this? They list two different Paul Griffin LPs, the aforementioned "Pours on Some Soul Sauce" and also "Plays Swinging Soul". Different labels, too, one is Somerset and one is Audio Fidelity or something "audio". Maybe it was the residual effects of DG-itis but I decided if I was going to try Paul Griffin I was really gonna go whole hog.

And what's this they have? Houston Person on Westbound, Get Outa My Way? Well, I really liked the Eastwind live double lp from the same time period, oh sure, throw that in too.

So, the box arrives a couple of days ago. I take a look at the two Paul Griffins and what do I see? Like 3/4s of the titles are the same! And what do I hear? Yes indeed, the exact same album, with just a few titles changed! At least the music turned out OK, with a strong gospel groove, not as commercial as I'd feared.

Wish I could say the same thing about the Houston Person.

I knew what I had just by glancing at the first title of the first side:

Disco Sax

Its worse than it sounds. I think there was more musical content in Rick Dees' "Disco Duck".

And as a board member pointed out to me, if we combine those two titles we almost come up with a motto:

Disco Sucks

When I was a kid, some musician told me that he felt that Stan Getz had a "thin" sound. (still can't for the life of me understand why he said it - he was otherwise a rather solid resource)

Since I was young and ignunt, and since a poorly recorded session seemed to reinforce his statement I ignored Getz for YEARS. Needless to say, my ears finally hipped me to reality, and I felt foolish for blindly taking one person's statement as gospel. I did learn a valuable lesson from the experience though!

I too have purchased music already in my collection, AND gave away great OOP material I've found in used shops because I mistakenly thought I had it already. Oooooof indeed!!!!!!

When I was a kid, some musician told me that he felt that Stan Getz had a "thin" sound. (still can't for the life of me understand why he said it - he was otherwise a rather solid resource)

It's funny--in my experience, there are quite a lot of saxophone players who tend to dismiss players like Getz or even Mobley out of hand when it comes to trying to shape their own sound. The norm these days seems to be to pursue the big sounds of a Rollins or Coltrane or Brecker. I had an obnoxious band director in high school who really discouraged kids from trying to sound like anything other than those thick-toned players.

It's funny--in my experience, there are quite a lot of saxophone players who tend to dismiss players like Getz or even Mobley out of hand when it comes to trying to shape their own sound. The norm these days seems to be to pursue the big sounds of a Rollins or Coltrane or Brecker. I had an obnoxious band director in high school who really discouraged kids from trying to sound like anything other than those thick-toned players.

God forbid that a young musician try to develop his own voice.

I remember playing a gig with a fusion-type band a few years ago. We had a version of Maiden Voyage worked up with a rockish beat, and my part was arpeggios with a heavy delay. Well, we finished that tune and went into the next, which was a blues with a unison melody between guitar and sax. Imagine my suprise and terror when my opening phrase repeated itself. Doh! I forgot to turn the delay off! To make matters worse, the sax player was standing in between me and my amp, so I had to wind my way past him in tight quarters to get the damn thing turned off. Half the head was over by the time I got back into action. :o

I just did a big "Duhhh!" in that this evening I became the proud winning bidder on ebay of an item I already own. I emailed the seller and told him that i would fulfil my obligations and send him the money, and he graciously said that he would relist it.

I thought it was another title and not the one I already owned.

Okay everyone: together: "DUHHHHHHHHHH!!!"