Eddie Harris INSTANT DEATH

Wes Montgomery TEQUILA

Charles Mingus MINGUS AH UM

Billy Cobham SPECTRUM

Donald Byrd KOFI

Jimmy Smith ROOT DOWN

Grover Washington, Jr. FEELS SO GOOD

Grant Green GREEN STREET

I've realized these are the albums I have played the most by each of these artists. I imagine for those who got into jazz a long time ago, a good portion of this list are "the basics." These albums have that special something that puts them over the top for me, and I have begun to try to pace the number of times I listen to them.

Have you overdosed on any albums? Spun too many times by the local DJ? Can't listen to it anymore? So good you wore the grooves out on the record? Bought several times it is so essential? Were there any one-album wonders...obscure names that produced a timeless, classic album or even just one unbelievably good song? Obscure albums on obscure labels? OOP gems that you've been inclined to listen to for the 1,474th time? Wore out the cassette you dubbed from a friend's vinyl, then were dying for it until you heard it again?

What I'm really aiming at is finding out other albums that are as infinitely rewarding as the ones I listed. Maybe something you've heard too many times is something I've never heard at all...so what albums have you played to death?

Personally, I tend to not get sick of good stuff for a reeeeaaaaal looooong time. I'll listen to albums I've listened to innumerable times and still enjoy them. Maybe it's a gift. ^_^

Okay, okay..!

I mix my stuff around enough that I hardly ever tire of anything. I have numerous titles that I've heard only once. I purchased Point of Departure at a Border's sale more than a year ago... I've not opened nor listened to it yet.

I've played all the Steely Dan albums waaaaaaay too many times, and they still sound good to me.

As good as it is (and it is good), I've played Kind of Blue enough times that I've tired of it over the years. Errr... sorry, Miles.

Edited by wesbed

The local jazz station (KCSM) has played Nelson's Stolen Moments (the song, not the whole album!) so many times over the last year, that I've reached the point that I know I'll never listen to that disc again. Or at least for many, many years. It's a shame; it's one beautiful tune, but enough is enough. As many times as I've heard My Favorite Things, I can still conceive of listenging to it again at some point...

Noj, there are quite a few discs on my shelves that almost fit the category, and won't be listened to for a loooong time. But after putting in Blakey's The Freedom Rider the other day, I know that anything can happen. I can't possibly even guess at the number of times I've listened to that, but I got the urge, ya know?

I got played out on jazz :o , a couple of months ago. For some reason, I just had to let jazz be put on the back burner and listen to other stuff (mostly rock). Interestingly enough, at least for me, coming back, I've only bought one re-issue (Got a Good Thing Goin'), and the rest new jazz, which I'm really enjoying. I seem to be listening to jazz better now than I ever did before.

Now Playing: The Balance: The Dave Holland Quintet: Extended Play: Live at Birdland

B3er is in the midst of a two week hiatus from all music. He said that he couldn't hear the music in his own mind; kept hearing everybody else's when he sat down at the organ.

There are several Metheny albums that I've listened to to the point of having the enjoyment drop off a bit. Also re: Theo's charge of narcissism, Waiting for the Boogaloo Sisters is one I've heard a lot. :rsly:

It's working great, too. I might extend it. I've written two tunes, which is pretty good considering I haven't had much time to actually practice lately. I've been doing home repair (I got that door on, Joe. It's sweet but I realized what it needs to make it AWESOME... dividing the large space where they had put a single pane of glass into four spaces!!!!)

Noj's list is interesting. I've listened to Root Down maybe twice. I think it's pretty boring. I've listened to Jimmy Smith's BN titles so many times I'm surprised the CDs still play! But before my hiatus started I was re-visiting them again. Great stuff.

Noj's list is interesting. I've listened to Root Down maybe twice. I think it's pretty boring.

Ouch! Coming from a B-3 connoisseur such as yourself, that stings! :ph34r:

Jimmy Smith's BN output--I need to invest. I'm sleeping on it.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. B)

I'm afraid I have to put Steely Dan on the list. One reason I haven't bothered to get the new one. I'm kinda 'played out' on their sound.

What??!!!

Damn man, get the new one. Get it! You won't be disappointed. :)

wesbed - I'm sure I will pick it up eventually, but for now I have them on "hold".

B3er is in the midst of a two week hiatus from all music. He said that he couldn't hear the music in his own mind; kept hearing everybody else's when he sat down at the organ.

Yeah, but when that's over, will he take the darn Blindfold Test I so thoughtfully provided? Or, hand it off to Joe and Randy and let them post their guesses.

Nice picks Clementine! I dig Wynn Stewart and the rest.

I'm glad you're a fan, Jazzmoose. I really love those old Buck Owens albums.

I'm also a huge Merle Haggard fan. I'd say any of his Capital albums from the sixties really have that Bakersfield thing down.

As a guitar player, I'm really drawn to the guitar players of this era. These guys aren't necessarily Bakersfield, but were from SoCal. You have to check out Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant. There are some great compilations on the Razor and Tie label. Jimmy Bryant is my favorite guitarist EVER. Another guitarist I really like is Joe Maphis. His cd Fire On the Strings is good.

If you like country/rockabilly, check out Wanda Jackson. Joe Maphis and Buck Owens played guitar on her early Capital Sides. There's a great compilation series from Europe. It's called a Capital Rockabilly Party. There's 3 volumes and it has a great cross section of fifties rockabilly/country.

If you like newer stuff, I'd check out Dale Watson, Redd Volkaert. The Hightone label does a lot of new Bakersfield style country.

There's so much... I love this stuff!

:rsmile:

This happens tom me mostly with vocal stuff, such as Sinatra's wonderful "Songs for Swingin' Lovers", or some of Diana Krall's albums (up to "Love Scenes" - confession time: I like them :ph34r: )

Another played out album for me is Coltrane's "A Love Supreme". I have not listened to that one since I got the Deluxe edition. (Well, only a couple of months before that, I got the single CD for the second time, having sold the one I had after having acquired the Classic Quartet box... so I seem to like that one)

From the list of Noj, I don't think I have outheard anything.

But by somehow trying to regulate what you're listening to when (and with all the new stuff coming in all the time), I don't find it difficult not to out play my stuff. And then, I'm into jazz only for some 10 years, and still young...

ubu

I certainly tire of particular genres at times but simply skip to another. A month or so of ye olde Englishe folke or Scandanavian nyckelharp music or early 20th C classical or old Neil Young records does a wondrous job of refreshing the palate and making the jazz sound all fresh and shiny again.

I can also recommend a good dose of the divine Emmylou Harris (a fine exponent of honest, creative, evolving country-folk!) as a marvelous way of resting tired jazz ears [did I mention that I really love Emmylou!].

In the Middle Ages they used to practice crop rotation, leaving one field out of three fallow each year to refresh itself. Seems a pretty good principle for a lot of things.

Crop rotation - that's a great parallel, Bev!

I also get played out, or "listened out" on some tunes and albums. For example, I don't think I'd like to perform "Good Bait" or "Impressions" again.

A lot has to do with one's memory. I happen to have a good memory for tunes and solos, and I don't like to hear a performance 50 times in a row.

One set of work that I will probably not listen to again is that of Bird. When I first heard him, I devoured everything that I could find, and soon had all the Dial, Savoy and Verve items, plus tons of live tracks. It's all in memory, and, brilliant though it all is, I just don't need to hear it again. I am not recommending that YOU don't hear it, of course.

Some players and albums have a special something about them that makes them sound enjoyable and fresh no matter how many times you play them. Red Garland has that for me (and for many others). Ralph Gleason once said that about Red's albums. A lot of Blue Note albums are also in that category. BN's catalog, though excellent of course, includes few "best ever jazz" albums, but the production and work that went into them makes them good for many listenings. "Silver's Serenade" is typical in this regard.

Yeah, but when that's over, will he take the darn Blindfold Test I so thoughtfully provided? Or, hand it off to Joe and Randy and let them post their guesses.

Well, Organissimo hasn't rehearsed since that day I posted about in the last Blindfold Test thread.

After my hiatus I have every intention of listening and commenting on the BFT #2 that you so graciously bestowed upon me! :) I really do appreciate it... the timing was just off.

Re: Root Down. Just my opinion. I probably should listen to it more before totally dismissing it...