Shaving

Electric of manuel? What's yours? JimS, you're out of this!

My trusted Braun electric shaver gave up this morning. After several years of daily service. No problem with the thing before. The motor just went down.

Shaving is about the first thing I do in the morning. And I don't really fell good until I have had my shave. After it's done in a few minutes, I'm ready for the day.

Tried to grow a beard decades ago but I just didn't like it.

I realise it's a personal problem because I have to admit the best (and closest) shaves I have had have been at hairdressers in North Africa and around the Mediterranean where they use the single blade razor.

Manual shaving is just not for me. I tried that too but I grew tired of the scratches and the blades and creams rituals.

Right now I don't feel good. The beard is growing. Can't wait until I'm done at the office so that I can rush out to buy a new electrical razor!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use an electric razor but couldn't tell you what brand unless I had it in front of me. It doesn't give as close a shave as a manual razor, but I just got fed up with the shaving cream mess. Being able to shave away from the sink also helps solve morning sink-access conflicts - my wife can put on her make-up as I shave while reading my email.

Manual. Gillette Mach 3.

'Lectric razors make my face all raw. And of course, ever since I caught glimpse of the Zappa album cover for Weasels Ripped My Flesh, I will not go near an electric razor. B)

There's something very satisfying about a nice close shave with a manual razor, steaming hot water, soap and a brush----a masculine ritual that will never go out of style!

My wife loves my beard, I've had it in place for ten years now, after about a six year cleanshaven period and then about ten years of a beard before that or more. Shaving my cratered acne-scarred cheeks ain't fun, so I've been content with the beard. Shaving my throat is a necessity and Sensor or Excel is used for that, and Aveeno shaving cream (y'all should try this, fantastic stuff.)

I had an electric for a brief time but was never that satisfied. On the other hand, I have a great talent for ripping my skin off with a razor, so I guess I'm stuck either way.

Did anyone else grow up seeing their father shave and come to the conclusion that it was the removal of the shaving cream that removed the beard, rather than the blade doing the work? I remember Dad lathering up my face and I would use the straight edge of a toothbrush to "shave". Sometimes I get the same effectiveness now. <_<

I guess the subsidiary question for manual shavers would be "up" or "down"? B)

If I was a fair-haired lad with a hardly noticeable beard, or a rich guy on whom stubble means success, I'd use a Braun 7680 Syncro System Logic Shaver. But since I'm Italian and often work until 8pm, I rely on the closer shave of a Gillette Sensor razor. I haven't tried a triple blade yet, but this discussion has me considering making the jump and maybe even buying a fancy handle made of rosewood or ebony.

Electric of manuel? What's yours? JimS, you're out of this!

Aw MAN!

Sometimes I keep a beard, and sometimes not. When I don't, I use an electric razor if I'm motivated to keep clean daily, an accoustic razor when I let it go for a day or 3. The electric works fine when there's not much to go through, but when it comes to a good CLOSE shave, nothing beats a fresh blade, a hot towel, and some lather.

Same thing with keeping the beard borders cleaned - electric is adequate if the maintainance is regular, but if you get a few day's stubble, go for the blade.

But remember - when using a electric, look for the big "L", first letter in...

Electric here as well.

An old colleague once told me that electric razors cause your stubble to grow out in odd "grains", and can make the hair itself a bit curly rather than straight. I have noticed that my stubble does seem to grow out left-to-right, instead of straight down. I'm not sure whether an electric razor is the cause of this, or if it's just my genetics.

I haven't shaved manually for a long period of time to see if it makes any difference or not, but find this sort of far-fetched.

Anyone else ever heard of this?

Depends-

For the quick, "I got 2 minutes to shave" situation, I always use down strokes. It may not be the closest shave, but it's gives a clean, even appearance.

If I have some time, I'll follow the downstroke with new lather and a complete re-shave with upstrokes.

Oh man, how can you have up without down? It’s a yin and yang, black and white, in and out kinda thing. Disregard either of the two and you’ll never reach shaving nirvana. If I can’t run out of the bathroom shouting, “Score!” something just ain’t right.

i get Pseudofoliculitis Barbae(sp) commonly called 'razor bumps'. when i shaved daily, i used Magic & the dull side of a butter knife. about once a year i shave my beard or goatee. grow it right back. :lol:

for trimming is use a Braun Groomsman (i think thats the name). when i'm sporting a goatee i "shave" with the clipper off, so i have what appears to be about 2 days worth of stubble. my wife digs it. B)