Shaving

For those who haven't tried it, I highly recommend the shaving brush with soap routine. Just about every brand of shaving soap has lanolin and other goodies to make the experience pleasant.

I once read a letter to the editor in the Toronto Globe & Mail which advised never to use a shaving cream made by a maker of razor blades. The idea was that they include in their cream chemicals which will rot the blade, requiring you to buy more blades!

My grandfather used a straight edge razor, with a leather strop hanging down from the side of his sink! I've never done that, but I will if I ever lose the beard.

Edited by GA Russell

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've a mustache and goat for almost 20 years, so my chin and upper lip would probably freak if ANYTHING got near them, but for the rest, I use the previously mentioned Mach 3. A damn fine product, much to my surprise. I currently use whatever shaving cream is on sale, but have dropped hints about a cup & brush for Christmas, so that may change. I always shave in the shower, for that extra moisture in the hair. I don't know what this "up and down" stuff is; the phrase usually doesn't come up in the shower unless the wife is in there with me ;); for me it's one pass WITH the grain, then one AGAINST for closeness...

I tried an electric once for about a month; I was most definitely NOT impressed with the quality of the shave. Plus I missed the ritual...

Manual. My beard isn't too heavy, but I like the closeness of an acoustic razor. I use a gilette sensor with a gel shaving cream

I was out of my shaving cream one day a couple years ago, so I used my wife's shaving gel. Call me girly, but it works better than any MANLY shaving cream I have ever tried. I use skintimate gel to this day!

300.jpg

Does anyone remember the old Saturday Night Live commercial where they were mocking 2 blade razors by offering the first 3 blade razor? It seemed absurd at the time, but it's time has come. Next we'll be seeing a floor wax/desert topping hit the shelves.

Anyone try shaving OIL? I saw an episode of Queer Eye For The Straight Guy and their primping expert recommended it. I am intrigued.

Anyone try shaving OIL?

Yep. I use Somerset's shaving oil. A little goes a very long way, smooth shave, nice smell. You need some shower gel or something in the water to prevent the bristles sticking to the side of the basin though.

Twin blade - Gillette Sensor, I think.

Edited by David Williams

I'm a Mach 3 guy too, but I'd kill for an electric shaver that actually gave you a close shave. I have a couple of scars on my chin that resulted from a particularly nasty high sticking incident from my ice hockey days and I always seem to be catching the blade. When I really nail myself, the aftermath makes the bathroom look like an ER. Not pretty.

This is probably bordeline TMI, but I actually use two different razors. The Gilette for the first "cut" and then a disposable for clean up in some hard to get to areas generally associated with the aforementioned scars. I use the Edge gel that's supposed to include some sort of cleansing ingrediants, but I tend to think that's just marketing spin. I use an aftershave cream from Nivea that I like a lot. The key there is to get the stuff without any alcohol. Unless, that is, you enjoy that burning sensation only a good, alcohol based aftershave can provide.

Up over and out.

I use an aftershave cream from Nivea that I like a lot. The key there is to get the stuff without any alcohol. Unless, that is, you enjoy that burning sensation only a good, alcohol based aftershave can provide.

No shit! Whoever came up with the idea of "after shave lotion" must hate men as much as fashion designers hate women! :lol:

Odd idea for a thread, but here goes.

I use the little black Remington battery shavers. They are so good that someone else bought the company! :D

The thing about these is that they cost only about $10, yet have the same business end as the $60 "rechargeable" model. But you can make them rechargeable by simply using rechargeable batteries! So, they are a $60 value for only $10 (not that I'd pay $60). The replacement cutters and foils cost as much as a new shaver, so guess what I've been doing ...

These are excellent shavers, and really do shave "as close as a blade", and I don't want my money back.

Well, all good things come to an end. About two years ago, they discontinued this model, and its replacement is lousy. I bought as many old ones as I could find, and am now on my last one. When it wears out, I shall jump off the Empire State Building.

Schick is introducing a four-blade razor called the Quatro!

My favorite blade is called in Canada the Wilkinson Protector. In the US, Schick offers the same product, but markets it only to women! It has two blades with wires to tie them down.

From the ads it looks like the Quatro has the same wires.

I'm with Lon. Well, not really. I'm miles away from him actually, but I do use Aveeno. I've used the same Gillette Sensor handle since my high school days. I shave my face every other day, my neck once a day and go through one blade a week.

Follow-up with Aveda after-shave. No sting.

BTW, I think I'm allergic to every other shaving cream in the world except Aveeno. That stuff is mild baby!

An interesting, creative and expansive thread...I like it! :)

A Bit of History

I was always an electric shaver kind of guy. I guess I always had a thing about sharp metal objects gliding across my face. I had a Norelco 'lectric shaver (first 2 head, graduating up to 3 by the time I was 20) for years and years. I wanted to have a thick beard so I used the thing constantly, after my dad said the more I shaved the "thicker" the facial hair would become. In about '95 I started keeping a neat goatee, which went thru various stages.

In the Fall of '96 I took a little backpacking trip across Europe, during which time I was 'not shaving'. I was doing fine, until about three weeks in, when I was in Edinburgh, my ace turned extraoridnarily itchy and uncomfortable. So being slightly naive of the whole process I bought a manual razor at the store, took it back to the Hostel and shaved three weeks of growth of my face...sans shaving cream...only hot water! After I patched up all the nicks and stopped all the blood, I decided that the shave was FAR more smooth than the electric, so I ditched it! I went back and forth from goatee to full, back again, clean for a while and now I'm good with my patch of hair under my lip. I've also been able to (after years of attempts) to keep pretty nice and long sideburns. (The chick love 'em!)

Strange though, becuase although shaving used to be at least a once a day habit, I now go 5, 6 days without shaving. To free up time in the morning (out the door by 6:45) I usually shave before bed.

After trying various things I finally settled on the following...Shick Extreme 3 razor and blades, Nivea Sensitive Moisture Rich Shaving Gel and Nivea after shave balm. Barely any nicks or burns.

these days: 29360.gif + vanilla4oz.jpg

even though the "moisture shave" doesn't have "legs" in its brand name!

Used to use 5679558.jpg

(similar to Mrs. Jazzmoose's?) but too hard for me to keep track of separate handle and cartridges!

In looking for pix, I found THIS SITE, complete with instructions on how to macho-ize the sharp, smooth and cheap Gillette Daisy!

shaving-pic8.jpg

Edited by maren

Really enjoyed reading all the posts. You people are wonderful! Even JimS!!

When I finished working yesterday, I headed straight to the department store and got a new Braun electric razor, it was on charge all night and I tested it this morning. Now I feel like a new man (Joe said this before).

Except the last thing I heard from my wife when I left home was 'When are you going to switch to manual?'.

The new razor does make a little more noise than the dead one. Will have to check that Mach 3.