Shaving

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At the risk of sounding like a real skinflint...

John, you cheap bastard. Buy a Mach 3 on your way home from work tonight.

This Bic thing is making the whole board look bad.

13pt_piws_9311.gif

:rolleyes:

Actually I got a free one throught he door when they first came out. Its still in the cupboard. To keep up appearances on the board I'll give it a try. Then I'll probably be too much of a cheapskate to buy new blades.

I had been using a Braun electric to knock my beard down a bit and shave my lip and then get close with a Schick disposable in the shower. Neither the Braun nor the Schick could give me a close shave alone. The Braun can't begin to touch my neck and the Schick feels like it plucks the whiskers off my lip.

Yesterday, I tried th Mach 3 sample I got in the mail and I'm a convert!

This is as close a shave as I've ever had with a single pass. Very comfortable on my face as well.

Interesting to see how many guys are using the Mach 3 with so many products out there.

Every other day I shave my face with a Braun electric razor. Once a week I shave my face and head with a Gillette Sensor Excel in the shower. My girlfriend took my Mach 3 for her legs - but the Sensor Excel does a nice job on my head (though it is noticeably rougher on my face). And I use a Kiehl's aftershave/moisturizer. And I shave at night so my face can recover by morning. (I hate shaving in the morning and going through the day with irritated skin.)

• 2 months later...

And the razor wars continue...

January 15, 2004

Gillette Unveils Pulsing Shaving Razor

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BOSTON (AP) -- There's a new Rolls-Royce for the serious shaver. Gillette rolled out a new high-tech, premium razor Thursday, a souped-up version of the Mach3Turbo featuring 62 patents and a tiny, battery-powered motor that emits pulses that work on the skin to prop up hair so it can be lopped off more easily.

The Boston-based company said the gentle, electric hum of the "M3Power'' not only reduces the need to shave over the same skin surface repeatedly, but even produces an agreeable massaging sensation.

But the Rolls-Royce device, expected to hit North American shelves in May, will also come with a Rolls-Royce price tag: $14.99 for the shaving system (including a battery), compared to $8.99 for the Mach3Turbo. A 4-pack of blades will go for $10.99, a 15 percent premium.

"I'm not concerned about the product or the quality or the ads or the message, it's just whether or not the consumer will readily accept the trade-up,'' said William Steele, an analyst at Banc of America Securities.

Gillette says they have before, and they will again.

"Men have demonstrated over and over a willingness to pay if we perform, and we do,'' said Mary Ann Pesce, Gillette's vice president of new shaving products.

The M3Power, rolled out in New York on Thursday after much industry speculation, is a counterpunch to rival Schick-Wilkinson Sword's four-bladed "Quattro,'' which hit shelves in September amid much fanfare and some concern it would cut into Gillette's market lead. Gillette has sued Schick, a unit of St. Louis-based Energizer Holdings, for patent infringement.

But Gillette says M3Power is more of an extension of the Mach3 product line, and that its next-generation shaving system is still in development. Pesce declined to say whether Gillette would try to include the M3Power technology in a woman's razor. Gillette's new Venus Divine women's system goes on sale in March.

The M3Power comes with a Duracell battery -- also manufactured by Gillette and lasting three to six months under normal use -- that fits in the handle and powers a small motor that generates what Pesce described as a "gentle hum.'' That energy increases the tension in facial skin, and essentially props up hairs, which can otherwise lie flat.

Gillette also says it has improved the technology behind the coating of the blades, to make sure they stay uniformly smooth throughout.

"It also provides this new experience that guys said was like a massage,'' she said.

Gillette refused to discuss details of its marketing plan for the new system, but said it would kick off with an ad during the Super Bowl.  ( :rolleyes: )

Peter Hoffman, president of Gillette's blades and razors division, declined to give specific sales guidance but said he expected comparable results to the rollout of Mach3Turbo, which generated $300 million in sales in its first year.

Most of that came from customers already using Gillette, and the company acknowledged that would likely happen again here. But Steele said it would likely lead to some new customers, and that Gillette's strategy has worked in the past.

"Leave it to Gillette to innovate behind its own products,'' he said.

Shares of Gillette fell 6 cents to close at $36.07 in trading Thursday on the New York Stock Exchange.

That vibrating razor sounds dangerous to me. I won't be the first to try it!

This week I started using Caswell-Massey Almond Lather Shave Cream. It's a brushless cream. I got it for Christmas a few years ago and forgot about it, so I'm opening it up now. It's extravagant, but it does a good job of lubricating, and smells great!

I've become a shaving switch hitter. For Christmas, I was given a Braun electric, the kind that dispenses lotion as you shave. My S.O. got if for me because she was tired of me complaining about razor cuts. The Braun does a passable job but it doesn't get as close as I like. So now, after I'm done, I wait about a half an hour and then do a light once over with a bit of shaving cream and the old Gillette triple track. Cuts appear to be a thing of the past and it makes for the closest shave I've ever had.

Up over and out.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm telling you, all you guys complaining about cuts from manual shavers or electric for that matter... switch to the Schtick Quattro!!

I used a Mach3 for years and years and I always cut my face. I always cut my face with any razor I've ever used. At least one little nick somewhere. Always. Without fail.

I've owned the Quattro for a few months now and have not cut my face ONCE. Not even a pinprick.

It's an amazing razor. Yes the blades are highway robbery, but the lack of blood loss alone is worth it.

I'm telling you, all you guys complaining about cuts from manual shavers or electric for that matter... switch to the Schtick Quattro!!

I'm smellin' an endorsement here. I can just see the ad in downbeat- "Jim A. uses the Schick Quattro- no more blood on the keys baby!" Plus a big ol' Schick sticker on the Leslie. How tasteful.

• 4 years later...

Today I use both. I have been shaving since the 1940s. starting with a rust-prone, double-edged razor that wanted more than hair.

Around 1949, Philips' Philishave caught my fancy... Philishave-1.jpg

Two heads are better than one and electrics are fine after your skin gets used to them.

Then, around 1963, came Wilkerson's stainless blade--it was great, but things got better and when I fire up my Alkaline-charged Gillette fusion, I get

the best shave ever........................... fusionpower_01.jpg

Still use an electric for quickies, but only if I am leaving the house and staying close to the 'hood.

I haven't seen a vote here for a hybrid: Wet and/or Dry.

I travel a fair bit, and when in Switzerland about a dozen years ago had my Braun electric die on me, and it was going to cost more to repair it than buy a new one. But, while switchable to the North American voltage, I would have ended up with a cord that needed an adapter to work at home. The shopkeeper suggested I get get a battery-powered one for the duration, and suggested a Panasonic Wet/Dry.

An electric razor (even battery) that you can use wet?? Yes! and while it's not great on the neck, the result: the best shave ever. It cost less than $50, and I'm on my third version now. I stick with the battery type (2 AAs you can buy anywhere) for the travel convenience--no recharger needed. The current one, Panasonic Pro-Curve ES4815s is just fine with me... (Oh: use the best shaving get out there, Aveeno).

I have a very fast growing beard with a texture fairly close to the quills of a porcupine. After about 12 hours of not shaving, my face feels like course grade sandpaper. I have learned the hard way that electric razors, even the most exorbitantly expensive, are completely useless to me. The Quattro tends to draw blood. The Mach 3 Turbo is the best blade I know of, next to a straight razor. Shaving with a Mach 3 against the grain, I look fairly civilized for about 12 hours. With a straight razor, I can be okay for about 24 hours.