Lee Morgan SOUL Show - 1972 Video On YouTube

JSngry

I don't go with some of those comments that Lee was a declining force with faltering chops in later years and along with the 'Lighthouse' set these videos just go to prove it.

Much as I like the performance of 'Angela' on the 2LP set the version here is even better I think. Dig also the fact that Jymie Merritt is up front and very interactive with the front line. Adds considerably to the performance.

Looks like Jymie is playing his Ampeg five-string upright bass.

A bit of an interview w/ Jymie Merritt 18 September 01, Warwick Hotel, Philadelphia

JM: And I finally ran into [LM], I was living in Brooklyn and I ran into him one day on the street, and he said I’m forming a new group. By this time, we were down into the next generation of players. Because I had just come from rehearsal with Chick Corea, we were working, Chick and Joe Henderson. I was sort of working around with those guys at that time. And he said, Well, I’m coming back on the scene and I’m getting a group together. So I gave him my number and he said he’d call me in a couple of weeks. And we got together, and he had Harold Mabern, Mickey Roker, Bennie Maupin.

TP: And you were on electric again.

JM: Electric upright, yeah, Ampeg. That started earlier, when I came back to New York and I was working with Max Roach. The guy that had developed this instrument I had known for a long time. Hull, Everett Hull. I don’t know if he’s still alive, if he is he’s near a hundred (laughs). I was working one of those clubs on the East side, I think it was the Apartment, he sent somebody who brought me this rig. By this time the business had gone nationwide, and he sent me this custom made amp and this bass. Which I still have. So I was working with it, and I asked Max, what do you think if I take this overseas. We were always having problems touring with acoustic basses anyway. So he said OK, so that was the beginning of my using it. So when I joined Lee I told him what I was using and he, you know [didn’t mind], so I used that instrument for the entire tenure of my playing with him. We used it on the dates out in California, and then shortly after that, we got back to New York and he changed personnel. He got Freddie Waits and Billy Harper. Mabern was still on board. Then we started doing some things, and we recorded one album. He said, come down, we want to start editing the album, but we never got that far. In the interim, we went to work at Slugs in New York on the lower east side, and at that time … it was in February, cold, starting to snow now and then. And I’ll never forget it, it was Washington’s birthday, whatever year this was. 72, cause I had just moved back to Philadelphia to reorganise. I’d started a workshop, and I went back to get that hooked up. So I was commuting. And I was staying at one of the hotels on Broadway, and I came out of the building in the morning, I think it was Saturday morning ...

(While we were talking Jymie spelled in English.)

• 13 years later...

Listening to the "We Remember You" Lee CD today.  Did a search for "I Remember Britt" (love that tune) and found this.  Note sure if identical to the old YouTube video, but definitely an improvement on this:

https://mosaicrecords.tumblr.com/post/163302535360/lee-morgan-i-remember-britt-its-amazing-how

https://www.shoutfactorytv.com/soul/soul-s1-e9-lee-morgan-horace-silver-bobbi-humphrey/599b6b5d3d3f53151d002be2

All three of the "We Remember You" tracks are on the video, in color and of pretty good quality.  Wow ...!

Hope springs eternal, for this!!!!

Date: February 11, 1971
Label: [television broadcast]

Andrew Hill (ldr), Carlos Garnett (ts), Woody Shaw (t), Andrew Hill (p), Victor Sproles (b), Roy Haynes (d) 

a.     Grass Roots  (Andrew Hill)
b.     Bayou Red  (Andrew Hill)

Broadcast on WNET-TV program "Live! On Soul"

• 8 months later...

New(?), full-length, full-color upload of the entire episode of Soul with Lee and Horace Silver, et al…

• 01:58 Horace Silver - "Old Mother Nature Calls"
  • 07:12 Horace Silver - "I've Had A Little Talk"
  • 11:22 Lee Morgan - "I Remember Britt"
  • 21:10 Lee Morgan - "Angela"
  • 28:33 Horace Silver Interview
  • 36:54 Bobbi Humphrey - "Sad Bag"
  • 42:38 Horace Silver - "Big Business"
  • 48:43 Horace Silver - "Acid, Pot or Pills"
  • 53:50 Lee Morgan - "The Sidewinder"
Edited by Rooster_Ties