Pet care question

The vet just told me that my cat has dental disease and needs his teeth cleaned, which of course requires full anesthesia. I was told that the cost would be "about" $1,000. I'm willing to pay this if it is necessary, but it seems to me that this must be absurdly high compared to what most vets charge. It's hard for me to believe that everyone who gets their pet's teeth cleaned has to pay this much. Anyone have to go through this before?

That's the thing - she said it wasn't really that bad, but that if we waited another year it very well could be. I'll make some calls on Monday. It occurs to me that if they are overstating the cost, they may be overstating the problem, too. That would be disappointing, because the place has a very good reputation:

http://www.amcny.org/

My guess is that this is all of a piece with the cost of living in New York. I wouldn't expect a NY veterinarian to charge what someone in the suburbs would, because their overhead is that much more. Iirc, we paid about $400 or a bit less for a full dental cleaning about two years ago.

I agree with Dan. Vets in Manhattan have to be about as expensive as it gets with the possible exception of Beverly Hills. We had our oldest cat done a couple of years ago and it was in the $500 range, but we live in Hillsboro Oregon. Still, a second opinion never hurts. Somehow I doubt the same UCR (Usual Customary Reasonable) guidelines exist in animal world like they do in ours.

Here's a great dental hygiene tip. My brother raises Leonbergers and knows his stuff when it comes to pet care. There's a product on the market made by Wysong called DentalTreat. It's a canine/feline food additive. It comes in powder form so all you do is sprinkle some on your pet's food once a day and that's it. Believe me this stuff is the real deal. We have two dogs, a Leonberger and a Newfoundland/Lab mix. Their teeth are movie star white and completely devoid of tartar.

Up over and out.

Another Oregonian in a town of 120k. In June 2006 teeth cleaning was $320. I believe it could have been $80 less, but that was without an IV, though the IV was recommended. Bastards, just tell me the cost to do it right!

So figure in outrageous increases in health cost since '06 + NYC prices, and $1000 still sounds mighty high to me.

One trick to pull on them is after the cleaning is to buy a bag of Science Diet T/D. This is a dental care food, and as you are buying it from them it will be on their records. We don't make this food the cat's main meal but instead give her 8 to 12 pieces in the morning and adjust her dinner portion accordingly. Since you use such small amounts you'd either want to freeze most of the 7 lb bag or see if the vet sells it in smaller amounts. (We live next to a vet who repackages it in 1 lb ziplock bags.)

So next time around their computer had us flagged to have her teeth cleaned again a year later, but I pointed out we were using the dental food, and if it wasn't doing the job what was the point of using it? Oh, whadya know, her teeth looked fine. So maybe the food works, maybe it just gets the vet off your back. It's certainly easier than trying to brush your cat's teeth, although a few cats do become addicted to the taste of the toothpaste.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll call around on Monday and if I don't get a much better rate, I guess I'll just fork over the grand. It's less than one of my speakers, and my cat is obviously a lot more important than that.

The problem with Manhattan is that no matter what crazy price someone decides to demand for any given service or good, there will be somebody willing to pay it. This is the land of $1 million studio apartments, after all.

Here's a great dental hygiene tip. My brother raises Leonbergers and knows his stuff when it comes to pet care. There's a product on the market made by Wysong called DentalTreat. It's a canine/feline food additive. It comes in powder form so all you do is sprinkle some on your pet's food once a day and that's it. Believe me this stuff is the real deal. We have two dogs, a Leonberger and a Newfoundland/Lab mix. Their teeth are movie star white and completely devoid of tartar.

For the dogs, we just bought a dental hygiene product that's disguised as a hard bone. Each end has stiff toothbrush like bristles. The dogs want to chew on the ends, the bristles do the work. Seems to work so far, the instructions do say that its not a toy and that chewing should be limited to five minutes at most, and there is the risk of bleeding. So we have to remember to give it to them with some regularity. Care-A-Lot Pet Supply carries them.

For that kind of money I'd expect implants.

Indeed !

Dental orthodontic cleaning for humans around here is around the £40-50 pound mark (ie. $100) so I'd say $100 or so should be about right. $1000 should get you a row of gold feline crowns at least :g .

Edited by sidewinder

I have my dog's teeth done at least once or twice a year.

The preanesthesia test which I do, but is optional runs me around $100. The cleaning itself is anywhere from $140-$200. Any extras like extractions have run it as high as $500, but that's still half of what you're being quoted.

Maybe cats are more complicated.