The best guitarist with organ.

Matthew

Who works best in an organ combo?  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the answers received I am absolutely amazed that one of the best guitarist is not even mentioned, maybe because he was not American

But when it comes to a Organ, guitar drums trio cd, I don't know any better than the Eddy Louiss trio, with Rene Thomas on guitar and Kenny Clarke on drums.

Unfortunately Rene Thomas died young and his recorded legacy is small, but to my ears anyway he was one of the most complete jazz guitarist I know.

On this date he plays with such rare intensity, and now I am going to throw a cat amongst the pigeon, I don't understand what is all the fuss about Grant Green!!

Give me Jimmy or Doug Raney anyday!!! Oooops

Doug Raney cdwith Joey de Francesco and Billy Hart "Backbeat" is another of my fav in the genre.

Grant Green is the man but the best "Grant Green" I've heard is on MIDNIGHT CREEPER and is, of course...

GEORGE BENSON!!!

First time I heard that one I thought to myself, "WOW Grant is really smiking on this one." only to look at the liner notes and was floored. George's playing on UPTOWN and COOKBOOK as well as Lonnie Smith's LIVE AT THE CLUB MOZAMBIQUE is always right on time.

I don't understand what is all the fuss about Grant Green!!

I tend to agree. The organ stuff is just fine however, I prefer Grant In A Ballad/Standards mode. Different strokes...

Dude, try to listening to some albums and maybe you'll get an idea. Where should we start: how about the Complete Quartets with Sonny. It Ain't Necessarily is one the most incredible sounds I've ever heard. Where should we go next: Idle Moments, Street of Dreams, Talkin' About (those three just are out of this world), I Want to Hold Your Hand, Solid, Sunday Morning. Should we go on or is that enough. Taking nothing away from anybody else, but there's a reason people make a fuss about him, why people demanded (not asked) that his first session be issued.

, but there's a reason people make a fuss about him, why people demanded (not asked) that his first session be issued.

I do own "Idle moments" which is a great cd but to me the other musicians are what makes the cd great.

I've listened to some of is other stuff, but I was never convinced by his playing,

the single note technique does really not impress me.

Maybe it is because I am a Jim Hall, Jimmy and Doug Raney, Kenny Burrell, Joe Pass fan which to me ar just on a different level.

, but there's a reason people make a fuss about him, why people demanded (not asked) that his first session be issued.

I do own "Idle moments" which is a great cd but to me the other musicians are what makes the cd great.

I've listened to some of is other stuff, but I was never convinced by his playing,

the single note technique does really not impress me.

Maybe it is because I am a Jim Hall, Jimmy and Doug Raney, Kenny Burrell, Joe Pass fan which to me ar just on a different level.

Dude, try to listening to some albums and maybe you'll get an idea. Where should we start: how about the Complete Quartets with Sonny. It Ain't Necessarily is one the most incredible sounds I've ever heard. Where should we go next: Idle Moments, Street of Dreams, Talkin' About (those three just are out of this world), I Want to Hold Your Hand, Solid, Sunday Morning. Should we go on or is that enough. Taking nothing away from anybody else, but there's a reason people make a fuss about him, why people demanded (not asked) that his first session be issued.

Hey Brad,

I have all those albums you mentioned. I enjoy them very much. I've heard the Complete Quartets album so much, I can pretty much sing every note Grant plays right along with him. Those are all great albums and Grant plays wonderfully. Trust me "I get" what Grant was all about. I get his R&B and blues roots. I get his ability to embelish the melody in a deceptively simple manner. Most importantly, I feel the passion in his playing when he was on. "It Ain't Necessarily So" is a great example of that.

My only point is that when it comes to organ/guitar albums, I prefer players other than Grant. No more, no less. Hey, I dig a lot of the funky organ stuff Grant did. I just like other things more. Grant was a beatifully lyrical player, with a special gift for melody. I much rather hear him play "My Favorite Things" rather than "High Heel Sneakers"! Ya know?

... and Melvin Rhyne's are too! - He had Peter Bernstein on most, but also did records with Herb Ellis, Ronald Muldrow, Bobby Broom and Royce Campbell since 1990.

... and some more!

Thanks for the heads-up on Melvin Rhyne, I didn't realize he was still going strong. Learn something new everyday.

I don't understand what is all the fuss about Grant Green!!

I tend to agree. The organ stuff is just fine however, I prefer Grant In A Ballad/Standards mode. Different strokes...

Hard to explain my love affair with Grant Green.

The guy had so much soul. Every solo tells a story. He was full of creative ideas in his prime. Didn't appear to be school-taught, but had this natural talent. His solos would build and develop like storytelling. (er, I think I already said that!)

I'm not a musician, so it is difficult for me to describe, but Grant is something special to me. He had this thing that was different from the other guitarists. That solo on "Blues in Maude's Flat" on "Grantstand" is incredible. Full of ideas. I remember that that was the first time I had ever heard Grant play, and I was blown away. Who is this guy? His solo stayed in my ears for hours afterwards. Waht a player!

Thanks for the heads-up on Melvin Rhyne, I didn't realize he was still going strong. Learn something new everyday.

Here's a list of all CD's with Melvin after 1990:

Altenburgh ALT-70007 Mark Ladley Trio - Strictly Business

Altenburgh JGA-70013 Mark Ladley Trio - Evidence

Criss Cross 1070 CD Brian Lynch - At The Main Event

Criss Cross 1059 CD Melvin Rhyne Trio - The Legend

Criss Cross 1089 CD The Tenor Triangle - Tell It Like It Is

Criss Cross 1080 CD Melvin Rhyne Quartet - Boss Organ

Criss Cross 1143 CD The Tenor Triangle - Aztec Blues

Criss Cross 1114 CD Eric Alexander Quartet - Eric Alexander In Europe

Criss Cross 1118 CD Melvin Rhyne Trio - Mel's Spell

Criss Cross 1137 CD Melvin Rhyne Quintet - Stick To The Kick

Criss Cross 1164 CD Melvin Rhyne Trio - Kojo

Criss Cross 1183 CD Melvin Rhyne Quartet - Classmasters

enja CD 8020-2 Ronald Muldrow - Yesterdays

Evidence ECD 22101 *Project G-5 - A Tribute To Wes Montogomery

Justice JR # 10 01-2 Herb Ellis - Roll Call

Paddle Wheel KICJ 146 *Project G-5 - A Tribute To Wes Montgomery

Paddle Wheel KICJ 147 Melvin Rhyne - To Cannonball With Love

Positive 78024-2 Royce Campbell - Make me rainbows

Savant SCD 2016 Melvin Rhyne Trio - Remembering Wes

Timeless 764737011 Jimmy Coe - Say What

Verve 314 549419-2 Nicholas Payton - Dear Louis (3 tracks)

Wooju WOOJU-1 Juli Wood - Moovin' And Groovin'

*two issues of the same CD.

Thanks for the heads-up on Melvin Rhyne, I didn't realize he was still going strong.  Learn something new everyday.

Here's a list of all CD's with Melvin after 1990:

Altenburgh ALT-70007 Mark Ladley Trio - Strictly Business

Altenburgh JGA-70013 Mark Ladley Trio - Evidence

Criss Cross 1070 CD Brian Lynch - At The Main Event

Criss Cross 1059 CD Melvin Rhyne Trio - The Legend

Criss Cross 1089 CD The Tenor Triangle - Tell It Like It Is

Criss Cross 1080 CD Melvin Rhyne Quartet - Boss Organ

Criss Cross 1143 CD The Tenor Triangle - Aztec Blues

Criss Cross 1114 CD Eric Alexander Quartet - Eric Alexander In Europe

Criss Cross 1118 CD Melvin Rhyne Trio - Mel's Spell

Criss Cross 1137 CD Melvin Rhyne Quintet - Stick To The Kick

Criss Cross 1164 CD Melvin Rhyne Trio - Kojo

Criss Cross 1183 CD Melvin Rhyne Quartet - Classmasters

enja CD 8020-2 Ronald Muldrow - Yesterdays

Evidence ECD 22101 *Project G-5 - A Tribute To Wes Montogomery

Justice JR # 10 01-2 Herb Ellis - Roll Call

Paddle Wheel KICJ 146 *Project G-5 - A Tribute To Wes Montgomery

Paddle Wheel KICJ 147 Melvin Rhyne - To Cannonball With Love

Positive 78024-2 Royce Campbell - Make me rainbows

Savant SCD 2016 Melvin Rhyne Trio - Remembering Wes

Timeless 764737011 Jimmy Coe - Say What

Verve 314 549419-2 Nicholas Payton - Dear Louis (3 tracks)

Wooju WOOJU-1 Juli Wood - Moovin' And Groovin'

*two issues of the same CD.

Note to myself: Next visit to Amoeba's, print list and check out Melvin Rhyne. My head was so turned in one direction, I overlooked Rhyne completely. Listened to Boss Guitar today and Rhyne is definitely worth checking out.