The best guitarist with organ.

Matthew

Who works best in an organ combo?  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I love Kenny's playing best overall, I had to go with Grant in an organ combo.

Which reminds me--guitarist Jimmy Ponder on Patton's That Certain Feeling (courtesy of the Mosaic Select!) is a motherfucker! I love listening to that guy, and I want more! Has he appeared as a sideman elsewhere?

Grant Green was the best.

However, it should be acknowledged that certain combos worked wonderfully together. Hard to beat Kenny Burrell's collaborations with Jimmy Smith. Those two worked beautifully together.

Also no mention of Jimmy Ponder, as someone mentioned, especially on Patton's "That Certain Feeling." No mention of James Ulmer's work with Patton as well. They were wonderful together.

And how about the fellow who worked with Jimmy Smith before Kenny did? Was it Eddie McFarland, or something like that? He wasn't bad.

I'm surprised that Martino isn't getting any love. I started this poll because I've been listening to my Jimmy Smith cd's a lot the past week. The truth of the matter is that I'm not sure if Burrell is the best right now. Listening to his playing, he doesn't produce the kind of fire that the others do. So, I'm in a quandry on how highly to rate him. Guess I have to keep listening some more.

Edited by Matthew

I'm surprised that Martino isn't getting any love....

The truth of the matter is that I'm not sure if Burrell is the best right now.  Listening to his playing, he doesn't produce the kind of fire that the others do. 

All these guys have my love and admiration. Bernstein is the most likely to be found in my cd player right now, but I just spent a couple hours listening to the Grant Green BN box set. It's all great stuff.

As for Burrell, I agree, there's some nice stuff out there but he's not an especially exciting player. I'm loathe to put him down out of respect for his career though. I mean, who the hell am I? He's recorded like what, 80 albums as a leader??? But there have been times when it sounded like he was really struggling with the instrument.