70's ROCK bands that changed in the early 80's...

Rooster_Ties

OK, I'll admit it - I'm a child of the 80's, when it comes to the music of my youth. And my wife is too. (I was born in 1969, she in 1967.) We have more "80's" CD's than I would probably care to admit to, although I've tried to steer clear of the crap, and focus on the really good stuff.

For instance, I have a nearly complete "The Fixx" collection on CD. And my wife still has a fetish for "Duran Duran". And of course we've got a whole bunch of "Talking Heads" discs, and "The Police" box set too. Then again, many of our purchases in this area are "greatest hits" packages (often just one CD by any one artist).

But through all of my backtracking now (trying to (re)discover music I may have only vaguely known at the time, but haven't heard much since), I'm starting to realize that there were (and are) probably a bunch of really great Rock albums from the 80's, that were overt reactions to the "New Wave" sounds of the 80's.

For instance, I suddenly have the urge to pick up Yes's "90125" from 1983, or maybe Rush's "Moving Pictures" from 1981. Or how about some of Robert Plant 's solo output, right after Led Zep broke up. (I kinda wish they’d release a single disc "greatest hits" package of Plant's solo work.) I’ve already got both albums on CD by The Firm, which I discovered back in my college days (late 80’s), and rather liked (remember the tune "Radioactive"???).

So then, what are some of the best Rock albums in the 80's, by bands that started in the 70's, that might hold the same nostalgia appeal that much of "New Wave" pop music of that era holds for me and the Mrs. --- thanks!!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS: Please feel free to suggest compilations, if appropriate. For instance, I'm thinking about searching this puppy out...

Rush - Retrospective, Vol. 2 (1981-1987), which is a single disc overview.

or maybe...

Rush - Chronicles, which is a double-disc set that covers them from '74-'87.

or, maybe I'd really be better off with a small handful of specific albums, like maybe two (or three at most) of these 80's Rush titles. (At present, I don't own any Rush at all.)

1980 - Permanent Waves

1981 - Moving Pictures

1982 - Signals

1984 - Grace Under Pressure

1985 - Power Windows

1987 - Hold Your Fire

Similar ground rules for suggestions from other bands too -- either compilations, or specific albums -- which ever makes the most sense for a casual fan like me.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'm also a fan of The Police, my brothers had their albums. GHOST IN THE MACHINE, ZENYATTA MONDATTA, SYNCHRONICITY were my favorites. I dig some of Sting's solo stuff too. The Fixx, Yes, Talking Heads...I relive my years of listening to KROQ-the local alternative rock station.

MOVING PICTURES is the only Rush album I have, if only to know the correct lyrics to "Tom Sawyer." That's one of those songs I would sing along as a kid and make up nonsense words to fill in where I couldn't decipher Geddy Lee's vocalizations. :lol:

Here's a few of my favorites from the 80s:

THE SPECIALS--gotta have "Ghost Town!"-I bought the SNATCH soundtrack just to get that song.

fIREHOSE - RAGIN,' FULL ON--bass player Mike Watt is sick with it. I'd love to hear someone who knows punk from the 80s really lay it down...

THE COMPLETE Stone Roses, if only for "Fool's Gold"--the bass line is smokin'

The Red Hot Chili Peppers - FREAKY STYLEY--way funkier than their more recent work. Cover of Sly & The Family Stone's "If You Want Me To Stay", album produced by George Clinton

Jane's Addiction - NOTHING'S SHOCKING--still their best effort. The musicians play dramatically different styles to suit Perry's odd, fascinating lyrics

Lenny Kravitz - MAMA SAID--still Lenny's best effort as well-I dig his first three despite the criticisms of him mimicking old styles. He sort of turned into a caricature of himself after the following album made him huge

Sorry, RT, but I was firmly in the New Wave camp at the time. I thought The Firm sucked the big one. I never warmed to Rush. It's strange, but most of my friends in the 80s were listening to Ozzie, Robert Plant, etc. at the time, which I couldn't stand. I mean, jeez, archeology is interesting, but I didn't want to listen to dinosaurs... ;)

Sorry, RT, but I was firmly in the New Wave camp at the time.  I thought The Firm sucked the big one.  I never warmed to Rush.  It's strange, but most of my friends in the 80s were listening to Ozzie, Robert Plant, etc. at the time, which I couldn't stand.  I mean, jeez, archeology is interesting, but I didn't want to listen to dinosaurs...  ;)

In many ways, I hear ya, Moosieur.

I liked (but didn't ever love) "The Firm", and I guess you could say that I've never warmed to "Rush" or "Yes" either, since I've never bought any of their music before. But, I certainly was exposed to it back then - on "AOR" radio at the time. (Weren't we all???)

I'm all over the bands that first came into prominence in the 80's, but it's those 70's (that tried to reinvent themselves) that I've been overlooking. I suppose some E.L.P. or maybe Asia might be in order too. Genesis too probably, although I'm gonna have to pick my post-Gabriel "Genesis" very carefully, since much of it is really too much like solo Phil Collins for my taste.

How about maybe The Who's "It's Hard" from 1982?? Or here's a couple from left field: Neil Young's "Trans" from 1983, or maybe Young's "Landing on Water" from 1986.

How could I forget David Bowie. Yeah, I certainly have some Bowie from the 80's.

How about maybe Jethro Tull's "Under Wraps" from 1984"??? I've never heard this album, but suspect I might remember a tune or two from what little airplay it got at the time. (The AMG review mentions copious drum machines and synthesizers.)

PS: I'm sure the primary function of these CD's will be for the car for long road trips with my wife.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'm afraid the main reaction from the rockers to the New Wave sound was to imitate it. They all have that thin, bass-free sound. Having said that, I grew up with it and can tolerate it (or maybe even enjoy it).

Invisible Touch is the one Genesis album that might be tolerable to you, RT. "Land of Confusion" is one of the best songs they did. One to avoid: the self-title album with "That's All." It's half-baked in so many ways.

I prefer Big Generator over 90125 ... for the latter (in terms of chronology ... that is, BG) album has more grooves and energy.

The first few Robert Plant solos are far better than latter day Zeps, but I'd pass on the 80s Bowies for the most part (but except, of course, for Scary Monsters, which is technically an 80s album).

RT, none of this stuff (other than Bowie!) made it to the station I was listening to. Can't remember the call letters right now, but I'm sure other Bay Area residents remember the Quake. (KQAK maybe? I dunno...) It was new wave all the time, from the peak on into the period when I, for one, started thinking "isn't this starting to sound suspiciously like the disco stuff we were trying to get away from???"

The odd think about the station was when it was sold and changed formats. Like a lot of stations in this situation, they wanted to run off the old crowd for a fresh start, so they started playing something weird to scare off the crowds. What did they pick? God, I can remember it now, with reverence even: "All Eno, all the time!" And it was!! For three days or so, it was the most incredible radio experience I've ever known...

Oh my--there's SO much to talk about here.

I loved Rush's material from the 1980s. Moving Pictures to Hold Your Fire was a very interesting period for them, though the transition actually began with Permanent Waves. Alex Lifeson's guitar playing relied less on Jimmy Page-ish licks and Steve Howe-ish atmospheres, and seemed to embrace some of Andy Summers' minimalism and space, and Robert Fripp's atonality and angular approaches. Rooster--starting off with Permanent Waves, as you point out, may be a good idea.

I really liked all the 1980s pop bands that were directly related to or were a result of the Ska revival of the late 1970s. Noj mentioned The Specials above. English Beat and Squeeze (to some extent), and other bands in the fisrt wave, and then General Public and Fine Young Cannibals later on. Haircut 100 was an incredible band that suffered because of their name. Lotsa shit happening underneath the reggae/ska rhythms and blue-eyed soul with them.

Edited by jmjk

Ooh-- almost forgot-- the post punk thing.

Bands like Joy Division, The Cure, Gang of Four, New Order (Joy Division after Ian Curtis roped himself, and more dance-oriented as time progressed), Psychedelic Furs, Bauhaus all seemed to either sit on the cusp of the late 70s-early 80s, or were influenced by a punk/glam/Pistols/Bowie/Roxy thing, and shook all that up and forged ahead with something new.

had i known better at the time, i could've gone anglo:

Magazine, Echo & the Bunnymen, maybe even a little New Order, Prefab Sprout (?), Dexy's Midnight Runner's (i'm swiping faves from friends), probably not the Cure or Siouxsie...

even GOOD Bowie is anathema in this house and once you're down with Black Flag and the Birthday Party, there's no going back.

out,

clem

Clem brought up some tasty treats.

Prefab Sprout--brilliant!

Dexy's - Not brilliant, but their cover of "Jackie Wilson Said" is very entertaining

The Birthday Party - never been a band like 'em since. Somewhat rooted in the 1970s, but repulsive enough to remain modern!

Joe Jackson underwent an interesting transformation. He started out at the tailend of the "New Wave" movement with Look Sharp! and I'm the Man, then in 1984 came out with Body and Soul. The record, I remember, turned everyone's head around. You had the Blue Note style cover, tight arrangements with horns, and interesting songs to boot.

So Joe went from:

112844-music-resized200.JPG

To:

bodyandsoul.jpg

Rooster, did you change the sub-heading for this thread? If so, my posts are tangential (they may be regardless :lol: )

You caught me. I did just change the sub-head on this thread (I think it originally said "name some of the best results..."), but I backed off from posting an official course correction into the thread itself.

The sidetracking is fine, and not at all unwelcome. I just wanted to also get some more input on the original (if peculiar) focus of my starting this thread in the first place.

( But a dual discussion is OK by me, and I'm always looking for more cool stuff from the early 80's. )

Joe Jackson underwent an interesting transformation. He started out at the tailend of the "New Wave" movement with Look Sharp! and I'm the Man, then in 1984 came out with Body and Soul. The record, I remember, turned everyone's head around.

Ah! How could I forget about Joe Jackson?

Although I love music from all of his periods, his Night and Day album in 1982 was a high point for me. That album oooozes finesse, without catering to trends of the day.

Didn't the Rolling Stones react to New Wave too, at least a little bit???

I've never heard "Undercover" from 1983, but I know the tune "Undercover of the Night" from it, and perhaps one or two others from the radio (with titles that I'm not familiar with). Part of the AMG review of "Undercover" says: "As their most ambitious album since Some Girls, Undercover is a weird, wild mix of hard rock, new wave pop, reggae, dub and soul."

Perhaps "Dirty Work" from 1986 as well, which I used to have at the time, but haven't heard in years.

Didn't the Rolling Stones react to New Wave too, at least a little bit???

I've never heard "Undercover" from 1983, but I know the tune "Undercover of the Night" from it, and perhaps one or two others from the radio (with titles that I'm not familiar with). Part of the AMG review of "Undercover" says: "As their most ambitious album since Some Girls, Undercover is a weird, wild mix of hard rock, new wave pop, reggae, dub and soul."

Perhaps "Dirty Work" from 1986 as well, which I used to have at the time, but haven't heard in years.

Mick sure did with She's the Boss. I love Jeff Beck's playing on that album. And Bill Wyman sure did with "Je Suis un Rock Star".

I seem to remember a tune on Undercover... called "Too Much Blood" that sounded a bit UnStones-like.

There's one! How 'bout Beck? He came out with his album called Flash in 1985. Mostly dancefloor numbers with Beck widdlin' away on his orange Charvel/Jackson (shit, he even swithced to an 80s guitar!), and he attempts some vocals! It also includes a reunion with Rod the Mod on "People Get Ready". Awful as it is, that record has a soft spot in my heart.

I had a total aversion to New Wave being a child of the 60s/70s era. The loose, freewheeling nature of the best music of that era seemed to be replaced by a sort of hyped up, rhythmically four-square approach that sounded as if it had been recorded in an aircraft hanger.

One area of influence which irritated the hell out of me was on Richard Thompson. For a time - from 'Across a Crowded Room' - you had these jittery numbers with clipped backing vocals and toy organ sounds. Always sounded like Thompson-goes-New-Wave to me. 'You Don't Say' was the first offender.

Much of 'Daring Adventures' was weakened for me but that same tinny sound. A lovely ballad like 'Jennie' (fortunately recorded more sympathetically elsewhere) is spoilt by a 4 square new wave beat, the sort of thing I associated with the mass invasion of the synth/drum machine of the time.

To someone who grew up on the liquid sound of John Martyn or Little Feet the New Wave thing seemed most unattractive.

As a consequence I spent most of the 80s getting to know classical music.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Mick sure did with She's the Boss. I love Jeff Beck's playing on that album. And Bill Wyman sure did with "Je Suis un Rock Star".

I seem to remember a tune on Undercover... called "Too Much Blood" that sounded a bit UnStones-like.

There's one! How 'bout Beck? He came out with his album called Flash in 1985. Mostly dancefloor numbers with Beck widdlin' away on his orange Charvel/Jackson (shit, he even swithced to an 80s guitar!), and he attempts some vocals! It also includes a reunion with Rod the Mod on "People Get Ready". Awful as it is, that record has a soft spot in my heart.

"Flash" was Jeff Beck doing Miles in the 80s. Funny, I did have the soft spot for the "People Get Ready" guest appearance by Rod Stewart, who moved subsequently on to his most reviled recording (the self-titled album that had "Every Beat of My Heart" and, you know it, "Love Touch").

"Too Much Blood," and to a lesser degree "Undercover of the Night," I see as the descendant to "Sympathy for the Devil."

I haven't heard this in many, many years -- but seem to remember having a roommate that used to have this on tape.

c51287o4l7j.jpg

Roger Hodgson - "In the Eye of The Storm", from 1984. Hodgson was half of Supertramp (he was the higher of the two voices), and you might remember the tune "Had a Dream [sleeping with the Eneny]" which got some airplay, if I remember right.

Now was there any "New Wave" influence????? I haven't heard the album in so long, I can't remember. Yes???? No???? Maybe????

Hmmm. Lot's of good stuff mentioned on this thread, but I guess it's a difference in perspective. Most of the stuff mentioned that I like I see in no way as a "70s rock responce to 80s New Wave". I mean, come on; the ska revival? That was as much a part of the New Wave scene as the B52s, not a response to it. Or did the drugs do that much damage to my memories of the times? :unsure:

I guess, In general, when I say "New Wave" influence, I really just mean to suggest that (some) Rock Music became much less "Rock" oriented, and (often) introduced some synths into their mix, and (perhaps) became more "Pop" oriented (at times).

Jimmy Page's "The Firm" is a good example, or at least their tune "Radioactive" probably is. Certainly not "New Wave" exactly (strictly speaking), but also definitely not "Led Zep II" either. (Nor is it really "Led Zep" meets "Bad Co" either.)

Same thing could be said for several of Robert Plant's first few solo albums. I can't name tunes specifically, but I do know that what I remember hearing on the radio was definitely an evolved sound that was reacting to other stuff in the air around that time.

Again, "New Wave" is not precisely the only aesthetic I'm looking for, but rather just the updated response of "Rock" music to general early 80's developments, including synthesizers and drum machines, and what many would describe as being "less human" musical textures.

I'm game for changing the title of this thread again, to clarify a bit more...

EDIT: OK, I dropped "New Wave" from the title of this thread, cuz it just confuses the issue.

Edited by Rooster_Ties