• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Here's a good 'un.

Just been listening to

Gene Ludwig & Cecil Brooks - Double exposure - Savant

In the sleeve notes, by Bill Milkowski, who shoud know rather better, I think, this gem:

"Ludwig adopts Earl Gardner's block chord style..."

:D

Even better, Bill says that the album was recorded at the end of the session that produced Jimmy Ponder's "What's new" (HighNote 7100). There's so much about the circumstances, backed by quoted from Cecil, that I'm sure there's no mistake about this. On the reverse of the notes, it says "recorded in July 2000". But "What's new" was recorded on 5 August 2002, a trio session with Ponder, Ludwig & Brooks. Ponder's album "Thumbs up" was recorded in July 2000, but Gene Ludwig isn't on that album. So there's no reason why he should have been there to use up a couple of spare hours at the end.

So two different people made two different types of mistake on this one.

MG

I just found this post and wanted to confirm that "What's New" and "Double Exposure" came from the same recording session done in July 2000. I was there, the trio did the tracks for Jimmy's CD and then Cecil and Gene stayed on to put some more tracks in the can for a future duo release. That was one long day.

pattye ludwig

I think both artists and labels out to spend more time proofreading. I reviewed a CD a couple of years ago where one track

was listed as Thelonious Monk's "Locomotion." I'd never heard of this "Monk" song though I knew his "Locomotive" well. It

turns out it was John Coltrane's composition, played on his famous Blue Trane album.

But the one that takes the cake is Will Calhoun: Live at the Blue Note. The last track was listed as Herbie Hancock's "Dolphin Dance,"

but it was McCoy Tyner's "Passion Dance." The guy reviewing it for JT couldn't tell the difference.

In the sleeve notes, by Bill Milkowski

Aha, so that is the "Milkowski" who writes the liner notes over at Wolfgang's Vault. I have noticed some factual errors in them, but here is an unfortunate statement about Oscar Peterson I spotted recently:

"Following a stroke in 1993, Peterson returned to pubic performances on a limited basis beginning in 1995 and also made several live trio recordings for the Telarc label."

Got "The Wildest!" by Louis Prima - the inner page of the booklet (p. 5-8) is there twice, but the first page (p. 1/2 and 9/10) is, alas missing :(

I won't even try contacting EMI about this... my experience is you'll never, ever get a reply anyway. Can someone do some scans, maybe? Would be appreciated.

Too bad I didn't look at the disc more closely before buying it. Guess those at the shop would just bitch around as it was sale, don't have the nerves to try getting it replaced.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm.......AMG did have the correct sequence at the time I posted - I remember I checked it against my own self-corrected CD inlay card .

I'm curious as to whether the error occurred on the original LP . Here's the label from side one , showing a completely different sequence from either AMG or the actual CD sequence :

Art_Farmer_Early_Art_Label.jpg

Perhaps someone who has the record can weigh in .

They aren't too good with the spelling of the names of the Autumn Nocturne composers either.

Edited by medjuck

41eEqD91S%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Arrived today. I'm sure the music will be peerless but the introductory essay on the history of African independence is extremely disjointed and has Malcolm X as an active member of the Black Panthers. In spirit, perhaps...

Edited by A Lark Ascending

And speaking of composers: The Impulse cd of Johnny Hartman's "The Voice That Is" credits the Kurt Weil-Ira Gershwin "My Ship" to Teresa Dell Riego-Charles G. Mortimer. George Hoeffer's notes say, "An Obscure composition, 'My Ship' was written by Teresa Dell Riego, a song writer active around the turn of the century." I guess he never listened to all of Miles Ahead.

41eEqD91S%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Arrived today. I'm sure the music will be peerless but the introductory essay on the history of African independence is extremely disjointed and has Malcolm X as an active member of the Black Panthers. In spirit, perhaps...

Haven't bothered to read anything yet... but enjoy the box a lot!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Keepnews Collection reissue of Clark Terry's Serenade to a Bus Seat lists Wynton Kelly as a drummer on the back cover. Terry playing with two drummers and no piano -- that would be a record to hear!

Even funnier, I just noticed that Steeplechase's CD of Very Early by Joe Locke credits the song "Nature Boy" (written by Eden Ahbez) to Abba! That's on the disc itself and the back cover.

If anyone reading this happens to be from a label that might need a copy editor or proofreader, I do know of a freelancer who is good, has reasonable rates, and knows jazz.

• 3 months later...

Wasn't "Apres Vous" the title Parker gave the song? And wasn't "Au Privave" the way a Norgran/Clef person spelled it when Parker told him or scribbled the title?

40-some years ago Delmark mistitled Maurice McIntyre's first LP "Humility in the Light of Creator" but correctly titled his song "Humility in the Light of the Creator." Delmark's CD reissue now sticks their album mistitle into both the song list and the liner notes.

Who on earth is the tenor saxophonist on the cover of the 2-LP set Hank Mobley/"Messages" (Prestige 24063)?

Someday a scholar should write a paper on all the errors in Orrin Keepnews-produced reissues, beginning with RCA Victor stuff.