Mistakes in covers, booklets...

EKE BBB

Tell us mistakes/error you´ve found in your jazz-freak life, in CDs (or vinyl), regarding recording personnel, dates, et al... contained in covers, liner notes....

EDIT: ooops, I was going to start with one, but I´ve checked all the data.... and it was MY mistake and not theirs.....

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could start a sub-thread with Blue Note alone:

1. Lee Morgan's The Rajah has Billy Higgins listed on drums on the front, but on the back it says Gene Taylor (the bassist?)

2. Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue has an incorrect year of recording

3. Woody Shaw's 'Boo Ann's Grand' is listed as 'Boo Ann's Grind' on Demon's Dance

4. Cal Massey's 'The Cry Of My People' is listed as 'The City Of My People' on The Sixth Sense

5. Hank Morley is listed on the actual label as the leader on my vinyl copy of High Voltage

6. And of course, there's my favorite, the blasphemous-sounding Finger Popin'

There are others, I'm sure.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

The Denon Japan Savoy CD re-issues from the early and mid-90's (purplish-blue inlay cards) are a veritable cornucopia of such gaffes and mis-translations, especially in the realm of composer credits. I wish I could think of some specific examples right off the top of my head, but, dang, it seems like every re-issue was screwed-up in some way, I can hardly pick JUST one...

British pianist Stan Tracey acknowledges Thelonious Monk as a big influence and often includes one or two Monk compositions on his albums. So, while I've lost count of the number of times I've seen Thelonious's name mis-spelt in the mainstream media, I was amused to see it given several times as Thelonius in the composer credits on Tracey's recentish Cadillac CD Solo/Trio.

Then there was the British edition of the book Jazz Greats, a series of biogs in high standard hardback format by David somebody. It had obviously gone through a computer spell checker at proof stage, but subsequently not past the author's eyes. At least that is the only way I can explain over two dozen text entries like: Miles Davies, Lester Yung (the well known Chinese tenorman, as Ronnie Scott would doubtless have had it), A Love Supreme by John Coltrane's Classic Quartet and of course..............Thelonius Monk.

just about any Bobby Hutcherson Blue Note cd. "Booby Hutcherson?"

Hope it wasn't an aesthetic judgement. ;)

And you've got to marvel at that alternate Columbia cover for Kind of Blue. How did that corporate back room discussion go, I wonder---- "Hey guys, let's take possibly the most famous jazz album of all time, one that STILL sells well, and arbitrarily change the cover!" "Sounds good, but why not reverse the image as well?" "Good thinking! And don't forget to get the photo from a completely different era, say, the 70's." "Right you are. Ooo, I just can't wait!!"

That's what my Collector's Choice says!

But, out of respect for his holiness who is apparently on his last legs, I will refrain from posting further on this matter.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl...pe_John_Paul_II

What a yahoo this cardinal is! He's one of the candidates, so he's going around announcing to people that the person he may replace is in his final days? First Waldheim, then Arnold, now this jack-off. I'm embarrassed to be half-Austrian.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

One type of error that is very unfortunate is when tracks are programmed (or listed) out of order. One example of this is the OJC CD version of Art Farmer's EARLY ART. They really messed it up. I notified Fantasy about the problem years ago, and they told me it would be corrected, but I don't think it ever was.

Fantasy also screwed up big time on the first CD release of The Montgomery Brothers' twofer CD, GROOVE BROTHERS. They used the wrong master tape for one of the albums the CD was supposed to contain (half of the CD had the wrong music)! I bought it the day it was released, and alerted them to the problem immediately (along with a bunch of other people, evidently). To their credit, they had a new version of the CD out soon thereafter. I still can't believe the error CD made it all the way into production, though!

Very minor and not really a mistake, but the sticker label that seals the top of an unopened CD of Bill Frisell's "Have A Little Faith" refers to him as Billy Frisell. In the album art and everywhere else he's Bill.

At least they didn't call him "Lefty."

I've seen MANY photos that are mirror images, that is, the wrong way around. The Impulse digipacks do this a lot. As a sax player, I don't appreciate seeing people like Trane playing the top end of the tenor with their right hand. (George Braith, yes, but not regular sax players.)

1. The track listings for at least two Bobby Hutcherson BN CD reissues (SAN FRANCISCO and PATTERNS) are all messed up.

2. On Bob Brookmeyer's TRADITIONALISM REVISITED, in the short-lived West Coast Classics series, the first run had on the tray card no times listed for the songs, just placeholders that looked like this where the times should have been:

(xx:xx)

Edited by DrJ