Mistakes in covers, booklets...

EKE BBB

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim R said:
One type of error that is very unfortunate is when tracks are programmed (or listed) out of order. One example of this is the OJC CD version of Art Farmer's EARLY ART. They really messed it up. I notified Fantasy about the problem years ago, and they told me it would be corrected, but I don't think it ever was.

Fantasy also screwed up big time on the first CD release of The Montgomery Brothers' twofer CD, GROOVE BROTHERS. They used the wrong master tape for one of the albums the CD was supposed to contain (half of the CD had the wrong music)! I bought it the day it was released, and alerted them to the problem immediately (along with a bunch of other people, evidently). To their credit, they had a new version of the CD out soon thereafter. I still can't believe the error CD made it all the way into production, though!

I too notified them about the error and was sent a corrected copy soon after. They had mistakenly used the master tape for the twofer Lp issue Groove Brothers.

The same batch of issues had a Mongo Santamaria twofer CD with two tracks omitted, don't know if this was corrected.

The recent CD issue of Herbie Mann's Great Ideas of Western Mann had a wrong bonus track at first: instead of the one track from that session issued on the Blues ForTomorrow anthology they used the title track of that album; this has been corrected, and again I was sent a replacement copy without hesitation.

Terry Hinte of Fantasy assured me they take every possible precaution to avoid these errors, but they keep creepin' in at the most unexpected places.

Don't be pickin' on Fantasy alone, Blue Note ain't any better: Besides the mixed up credits on the Clifford Brown Memorial Album CD, they forgot to list one alternate take from the Howard McGhee - Fats Navarro session on the respective CD issue, and on the Connoisseur 10" series Frank Foster - George Wallington CD they forgot to list one alternate take from the Wallington session that was on the CD.

The first copy of the Three Sounds Lighthouse CD I bought had an entirely different pop album on the CD - the label showed Three Sounds etc.!!!

Don't know about Early Art. But I suspect this could be an error that was on the original LP; there was a discussion of this regarding the tune titlings on the Thad Jones United Artists LP when they prepared the Thad Jones Mosaic box set - this may have happened more often than we would like to think. One example:

When Monk recorded a new tune for a Riverside in San Francisco, the engineer (or Keepnews) asked him for a title, and he mumbled " ...worry later", which they wrote down as the title - it was San Francisco Holiday.

I always thought the titles on one of some pieces of Lucky Thompson's ABC LP 111, reissed on an Impulse CD, are incorrect. It includes two tunes, Deep Passion, but that melody was recorded by the Oscar Pettiford Orchestra on ABC as A Lady's Vanity - which also is on the Thompson, but as Deep Passion. The latter tune is a themeless improvisation on the chord changes of Body and Soul that would fit the title Deep Passion much better, this have been a reversal of tunes, but since both are track 4 on the LP sides, all titles for both sides could have been reversed or even mixed up ...

I have some more LPs were labels were mixed up, but am too lazy to pick them out... ;)

Edited by mikeweil

The first copy of the Three Sounds Lighthouse CD I bought had an entirely different pop album on the CD - the label showed Three Sounds etc.!!!

Back before CDs I found an oddity. I picked up Starship's Red Octopus ("blame it on my youth"), got it home, and although side one was correct, side two was Harry Belafonte's Greatest Hits. At the time, I thought this was so cool, I kept it. If it happened today, I'd probably return it. For the Belafonte album.

The 1956 Lou Levy 'Jazz in Four Colors' RCA LP had photos (by Dave Pell) of the four musicians featured: Levy, Larry Bunker, Leroy Vinnegar and Stan Levey but inverted the Vinnegar and Bunker photos. The vibraphone player was identified as Vinnegar, the bass player was identified as Bunker.

• 2 years later...