Mistakes in covers, booklets...

EKE BBB

My Lucky Thompson CD called "Good Luck in Paris" (JazzTime 827217-2) has a cover photo of Don Byas, not Lucky. (Don't have a scanner; otherwise I'd post a copy of this.)

I've seen a CD of performances by the stride pianist Joe Turner illustrated with a photo of the blues shouter Big Joe Turner, but this one isn't in my collection.

And I just saw a disc of a Bruckner symphony illustrated with a photo of Brahms.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a CD of performances by the stride pianist Joe Turner illustrated with a photo of the blues shouter Big Joe Turner, but this one isn't in my collection.

In fact there are a lot of articles (and even reviews), mistaking Joe Turner for Big Joe Turner. The great stride pianist must bear with that!

• 3 years later...

Some of the most common mistakes:

Composer credits:

Richard Rodgers as "Richard Rogers"

Willard Robison as "Willard Robinson"

These mistakes have happened so frequently I've lost track of them.

Will Calhoun: Live at the Blue Note

The last track is listed as "Dolphin Dance" by Herbie Hancock, it is actually "Passion Dance" by McCoy Tyner. Whoever reviewed it for JazzTimes didn't know the difference between the two songs and waxed eloquently about what a great version of "Dolphin Dance" it was. Half Note may have corrected it on later editions.

Other goofs:

I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart (not "Get")

Take the A Train (not "A Train")

The last two songs I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart and Don't Get Around Much Anymore

were played as a medley.

Betty Roche also has an accent above the e in her last name.

That just about sums it up, although one might also add the following 'sentence': "These are "Live" performances some sound quality imperfections may exist".

Other goofs:

I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart (not "Get")

Take the A Train (not "A Train")

The last two songs I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart and Don't Get Around Much Anymore

were played as a medley.

Betty Roche also has an accent above the e in her last name.

That just about sums it up, although one might also add the following 'sentence': "These are "Live" performances some sound quality imperfections may exist".

O.K., I agree with all these - but if you insist that "A Train" is incorrect (and not just sloppy) as the correct title is "Take The A Train" then you might also add that "In My Solitude" more commonly (FAR more commonly) goes under the title of "Solitude" only. ;)

@TTK - re- your last post:

Open any newspaper or mag and you will see that this species is virtually extinct these days when it comes to printed media. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Side 1 of my vinyl copy of Art Pepper+Eleven, Modern Jazz Classics is incorrectly labeled "Barney Kessel, Let's Cook! Side 1". It would be nice to think that errors like this hugely add to a record's value, as with some postage stamps, but I suppose they don't! :(

The first pressing of AEC's "A Jackson In Your House/Message To Our Folks" CD from Fuel 2000 has Don Cherry's "Mu First Part/ Mu Second Part" on the disc instead.

The liner notes and credits for Miles - Someday My Prince Will Come, for some strange reason, go out of their way to completely exclude Hank Mobley as a participant on I Thought About You even though he blows a nice solo on that track. Unfortunately, so do many discographies too as they relied on Columbia's credits.

Too many to name on the BN RVG reissues.

And there's this error on the original 16 disc Coltrane Prestige box:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=45292

I thought I had seen "Solitude" published as "(In My) Solitude" but I could have been wrong, I didn't double check it. That is something I do automatically when I write liner notes, as there always seems to be mistakes or omissions in the information provided by the record labels.

Unfortunately, not everyone feels that way when a CD is issued.

My Japanese 2006 reissue of Freddie Hubbard's "Polar AC" lists the following composer credits, all of them wrong:

Polar AC (Chris Kenner)

People Make the World Go Round (David Matthews)

Betcha By Golly, Wow (Clifford Brown)

Naturally (Fritz Pauer)

Son of Sky Dive (Chick Corea)

Ron Cater, Bobby Hucherson (label of Hutch's "Components" Conn) Jimmy McGriff listed as the composer of "Motorin Along" on the original '96 domestic McMaster of "Home Cookin" Jacques Prevert listed as Pervert on the back tray cover of Chick Corea Akoustic Band: Live at Blue Note Tokyo. Kenney Burrell: original 1986 domestic McMaster "Midnight Special"

Jimmy McGriff listed as the composer of "Motorin Along" on the original '96 domestic McMaster of "Home Cookin"

I thought he was the composer. He's listed as the composer on his own version of the tune on "Step one". Who was listed as composer on Jimmy Smith's vinyl edition of the album?

MG

PS The tune has also been recorded by Al Cohn & Zoot Sims, listing McGriff as composer. And McGriff recorded it again in 1984 ("Sky walk").