Mistakes in covers, booklets...

EKE BBB

Chuck pointed out that the cover of Willis Jackson's "Bar wars" reissued on 32Jazz was actually a photo (reversed) of Von Freeman. It was taken from the sleeve of the Willis & Von album "Lockin' horns", reversed, and the wrong musician picked.

Joel Dorn did a few good ones, not limited to 32Jazz. He certainly should have known better on this one.

In the notes to David Newman's "Captain Buckles", reissued (briefly) on Label M, he says that "Captain Buckles" was his way of making things right with David, after "The weapon", which he describes as one of the worst examples of a producer overstepping his bounds in the history of record making. Nice confession, but "Captain Buckles" was recorded BEFORE "The weapon".

I omit all mention of a certain label that produces poorly packaged 4CD sets at astonishingly cheap prices, replete with more errors than the mind of man can contain. I think this thread should focus on firms who are supposed to know what they're doing (so Columbia shouldn't be included, either :))

MG

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MG, I think the original "Home Cookin" LP credits it to JOS. I can check Vintage Vanguard just to be sure. Speaking of JOS goofs, I only have the '98 Conn of "Softly as a Summer Breeze", but why is Horace Silver's "Home Cookin" listed as such on that LP but "One For Philly Joe" on the CD reissues? (at least domestically)

One type of error that is very unfortunate is when tracks are programmed (or listed) out of order. One example of this is the OJC CD version of Art Farmer's EARLY ART. They really messed it up. I notified Fantasy about the problem years ago, and they told me it would be corrected, but I don't think it ever was.

I'd really like to know what this was about, I wonder if Jim R still reads the forum.

One type of error that is very unfortunate is when tracks are programmed (or listed) out of order. One example of this is the OJC CD version of Art Farmer's EARLY ART. They really messed it up. I notified Fantasy about the problem years ago, and they told me it would be corrected, but I don't think it ever was.

I'd really like to know what this was about, I wonder if Jim R still reads the forum.

I've got a few albums with this problem. In almost all cases I've known which track was which, but one, Gerry Mulligan's Jeru on French Columbia leaves me puzzled. The tracks are listed as follows, both on the disc and the cover, but they're clearly not right. Anyone know the correct order?

1 Capricious

2 Here I'll Stay

3 Inside Impromptu

4 You've Come Home

5 Get Out of Town

6 Blue Boy

7 Lonely Town

The AllMusic Guide provides the correct CD sequence . The CD sequencing error derives from the sequencing error made on side one of Prestige 7665 which was a reissue of New Jazz 8258 ( which was itself a reissue of Prestige 177 & 193 ) . The CD timings are correct however .

Speaking of Art Farmer , what are we to make of his The Many Faces of Art Farmer recording on Scepter which is currently out on CD from Gambit ? The CD sequence is clearly wrong , but a check of the original LP cover and label shows the same sequence , so the error presumably started with the original issue . Perhaps someone with an original copy can check this , and also perhaps comment on the sound quality of the original vinyl , since the CD sound is somewhat murky .

I've discussed this one in other threads, but the Chiaroscuro LP Jazz Piano Masters had some mistakes, while the reissue corrected one, but two more were overlooked:

Track 4, by Teddy Wilson is actually a medley of "Body and Soul" and "Out of Nowhere" though the latter tune is not listed.

Track 21, by Eubie Blake, is introduced by the pianist as "Tricky Fingers" before and after the tune, though he actually plays another of his compositions, "Troublesome Ivories." At the age of 89 at the time, he was allowed a memory slip and either no one realized the mistake or didn't want to correct him.

Another common problem: Record labels confusing Duke Ellington's "Just Squeeze Me" and Fats Waller's "Squeeze Me," usually listing the latter title when they mean the Ellington composition--though Ellington usually gets the credit.

Edited by Ken Dryden

Another CD where the programming listed on the cover/booklet is utterly different from the sequence on the disc itself , is the 2003 edition of Michel Legrand's Legrand Jazz . Despite appearances , the programming on the 2003 disc is in fact identical to the 1986 CD edition .

Even more sleuthing is required to make sense of Paul Moer's Del-Fi recording , The Contemporary Jazz Classics . Here , the covers of both the CD and the original vinyl have a track sequence which in no way matches the actual sequence . I think I've figured out the correct sequence on this one , though don't ask me what the unrelated live Moer track at the end of the CD is called or is doing there !

Another CD where the programming listed on the cover/booklet is utterly different from the sequence on the disc itself , is the 2003 edition of Michel Legrand's Legrand Jazz . Despite appearances , the programming on the 2003 disc is in fact identical to the 1986 CD edition .

This may stem from the two different releases of the album back in the day, on Columbia and Philips.

The booklet ( or at least my booklet ) for the Verve Elite Edition CD The Modern Jazz Society Presents A Concert Of Contemporary Music is screwed up . A section of Gunther Schuller's notes is missing , and a section is repeated .

You're right. I bought this used and the dude that previously owned it had two booklets; one that was defective, which he wrote 'error', and the other one ' corrected'.

MG, I think the original "Home Cookin" LP credits it to JOS. I can check Vintage Vanguard just to be sure. Speaking of JOS goofs, I only have the '98 Conn of "Softly as a Summer Breeze", but why is Horace Silver's "Home Cookin" listed as such on that LP but "One For Philly Joe" on the CD reissues? (at least domestically)

I don't think BN's back covers listed the authors, so you'd have to have a scan of the label. Checking Gokudo to be sure.

The sleeve notes to McGriff's "Skywalk" LP say the tune is his.

MG

Can't raise Gokudo at present, but I don't think that will have an answer.

hmm, a case where JOS played another organist's tune............... interesting

He recorded several tunes by other organists.

On "Damn!", there was "Papa's got a brand new bag".

On "Hoochie coochie man", he recorded Q's arrangement of "One mint julep", done for Ray Charles' organ (but not a tune by an organist, I agree)

On "Plays pretty for you", there's Fats Waller's "Jitterbug waltz" - about the earliest jazz standard written for the organ.

On "Small's Paradise" and "House party", he recorded "Lover man", by Ram Ramirez.

And on "Prime time", there's a wonderful version of Bill Doggett's "Honky tonk".

MG

Jimmy Smith is given composer credit for Motorin' Along on the original side two label of Home Cookin' , as well as in the liners . I know McGriff and Smith were old Philly buddies , so if Motoring Along on Skywalk is the same tune , then it could be McGriff's I suppose , but absent further evidence I see no reason to doubt Smith's authorship .

The booklet ( or at least my booklet ) for the Verve Elite Edition CD The Modern Jazz Society Presents A Concert Of Contemporary Music is screwed up . A section of Gunther Schuller's notes is missing , and a section is repeated .

You're right. I bought this used and the dude that previously owned it had two booklets; one that was defective, which he wrote 'error', and the other one ' corrected'.

Guess I missed the recall notice . So what is it exactly that I'm missing then ? ConfusedSmiley.gif

Jimmy Smith is given composer credit for Motorin' Along on the original side two label of Home Cookin' , as well as in the liners . I know McGriff and Smith were old Philly buddies , so if Motoring Along on Skywalk is the same tune , then it could be McGriff's I suppose , but absent further evidence I see no reason to doubt Smith's authorship .

Yes, it's the same tune. Interesting that the original of "Home cookin'" had Smith as the composer. Don't really know what to make of it.

McGriff recorded it twice (once on "Step one" in 1969) and was credited both times. And, as I said earlier, the "Skywalk" sleeve notes (by Bob Porter) as well as the credits mention McGriff as the composer. And there's a reference to a version recorded "a few seasons back" (from 1984) by Al Cohn & Zoot Sims, for which McGriff presumably got credit, too (don't know the album). But here's the funny thing; Porter says, "it's a McGriff tune from the late sixties". Bob usually knows what he's talking about but sometimes he forgets particular examples of things. The fact that Smith recorded it before is something Bob must have known about but maybe it didn't click in his mind.

I recall that someone on the board can look stuff up at some copyright sourse, but I don't know who it is.

MG

I recall that someone on the board can look stuff up at some copyright sourse, but I don't know who it

At the U.S. Copyright Office I found this .

I recall that someone on the board can look stuff up at some copyright sourse, but I don't know who it

Thanks Chas. I don't fully understand what it is, but it looks like Smith was claiming copyright in 1990 on a tune for which no entry was found, which I assume would have been the case if there were copyright claims from before 1978, because that's the earliest date of the database.

MG

Thanks Chas. I don't fully understand what it is, but it looks like Smith was claiming copyright in 1990 on a tune for which no entry was found, which I assume would have been the case if there were copyright claims from before 1978, because that's the earliest date of the database.

I read it as stating that the registration of 1990-11-05 is a renewal of Smith's original 1962-01-11 copyright .