Mistakes in covers, booklets...

EKE BBB

One type of error that is very unfortunate is when tracks are programmed (or listed) out of order. One example of this is the OJC CD version of Art Farmer's EARLY ART. They really messed it up. I notified Fantasy about the problem years ago, and they told me it would be corrected, but I don't think it ever was.

I'd really like to know what this was about, I wonder if Jim R still reads the forum.

The AllMusic Guide provides the correct CD sequence .

Oy. No, AMG still has the sequence wrong. All these years go by, and still nobody seems to get it, despite the fact that there are some well-known songs on this disc. I wrote to Fantasy in 1996 regarding the error in programming of tunes on the first CD release. I received a letter stating that the error would be corrected, and that I would receive a new copy of the CD when it became available. I received another Early Art CD in the Summer of 1998, and it had the exact same errors.

Here is the correct track listing (at least the way they're sequenced on my CD):

1. confab in tempo

2. i'll take romance

3. wisteria

4. autumn nocturne

5. soft shoe

6. i've never been in love before

7. i'll walk alone

8. gone with the wind

9. alone together

10. pre amp

On tracks 1,2,3 and 5, the group was Art Farmer,Sonny Rollins,Horace Silver,Percy Heath,Kenny Clarke. (Jan. 20, 1954)

On the remaining tracks, Farmer,Wynton Kelly,Addison Farmer,Herbie Lovelle. (Nov. 9, 1954)

A few months ago, when I was transferring the music to iTunes, I noticed that the CDDB had the sequence wrong, so I wrote to them too. After about two weeks of back-and-forth messages to explain and convince, they finally got it right (last time I checked).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.......AMG did have the correct sequence at the time I posted - I remember I checked it against my own self-corrected CD inlay card .

I'm curious as to whether the error occurred on the original LP . Here's the label from side one , showing a completely different sequence from either AMG or the actual CD sequence :

Art_Farmer_Early_Art_Label.jpg

Perhaps someone who has the record can weigh in .

What's odd is that the song order on all issues of Benny Bailey's Big Brass seems to be incorrect, though since there are several originals, I'm not sure which song belongs to each title, aside from the standard on the date.

Not exactly a mistake that made it to fruition, but when I was assigned liner notes for a best of collection (from a larger boxed set for the label), I mentioned that they included a song on the advance CD that didn't feature the leader soloing at all, an odd choice. They deleted it and took my suggestion for a replacement. I also found it odd that they omitted one of his best known compositions, which they did and took my suggestion of deleting "Canadian Sunset." I guess I could have gotten assistant producer credit, even if it meant no extra pay...

Hmmm.......AMG did have the correct sequence at the time I posted - I remember I checked it against my own self-corrected CD inlay card.

I'm curious as to whether the error occurred on the original LP . Here's the label from side one , showing a completely different sequence from either AMG or the actual CD sequence :

Art_Farmer_Early_Art_Label.jpg

Perhaps someone who has the record can weigh in .

After 13 years (since the CD was issued, and I noticed the error and reported to Fantasy), it would feel good to get this sorted out. As I've said before, Fantasy sent me a replacement CD in 1998, but the error wasn't corrected. If somebody out there has a later issue of the CD which actually IS corrected, then we can put this to rest. So far, I have no evidence that this has occurred.

I'm not sure I understand the importance of analyzing the original LP. There may have been an error in sequencing on that, but it seems irrelevant to the topic at hand, which is the error on the CD, which I would assume is in far greater circulation and use at this point than the original LP. If there were errors on both, they don't even match up, thus I'm not sure that talking about the LP can shed any light on the CD error. Maybe there's an angle I'm overlooking, and I'd be happy to be corrected on that.

Chas, the most intriguing thing to me about your post was the first line... "AMG did have the correct sequence at the time I posted - I remember I checked it against my own self-corrected CD inlay card." Chas, if you would, please explain in detail how and why you corrected your CD card.

I see that you posted the AMG link in January '09. I just checked the AMG page, and as of right now they have it listed (same as always, afaik) with the same errors as on the 1996 CD.

Current AMG listing:

1. Soft Shoe 3:54

2. Confab In Tempo 4:57

3. I'll Take Romance 4:32

4. Wisteria 4:05

5. Autumn Nocturne 4:59

6. I've Never Been In Love Before 3:49

7. I'll Walk Alone 3:55

8. Gone With The Wind 4:07

9. Alone Together 3:59

10. Pre Amp 3:35

The 1996 CD tray card (image taken from previous discussion here: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...t&p=443256)

early_art.jpg

Okay, if a newer CD has been issued and re-programmed with the above track sequence that was on the tray card and in the booklet from 1996, then I've got an obsolete CD (I'm very doubtful of this).

I put my CD into iTunes, and here is the track list with timings that I contacted the CDDB about and had corrected several months ago. In other words, I consider this to be the correct track sequence to match the programming of the 1996 CD:

1. Confab In Tempo 3:59

2. I'll Take Romance 5:01

3. Wisteria 4:35

4. Autumn Nocturne 4:08

5. Soft Shoe 5:03

6. I've Never Been In Love Before 3:53

7. I'll Walk Alone 3:59

8. Gone With The Wind 4:14

9. Alone Together 4:01

10. Pre Amp 3:37

Originally, I recognized the errors involving the first 5 tracks based on the fact that I am very familiar with the standards "I'll Take Romance" (I knew it mainly as a favorite from the Max Roach version on "Jazz In 3/4 Time" on Emarcy); and "Autumn Nocturne" (I have several versions of it, I know the lyrics, I've written chord sheets, etc). So, at least on my CD, I am 100% certain that "I'll Take Romance" is track #2 (5:01 in length, according to the iTunes tagging); and "Autumn Nocturne" is track #4 (4:08 in length). Based on this, I recognized that Fantasy had essentially taken "Soft Shoe" and incorrectly listed it first, bumping the actual first four tracks down a notch in the sequence.

Edited by Jim R

I'm not sure I understand the importance of analyzing the original LP. There may have been an error in sequencing on that, but it seems irrelevant to the topic at hand, which is the error on the CD, which I would assume is in far greater circulation and use at this point than the original LP. If there were errors on both, they don't even match up, thus I'm not sure that talking about the LP can shed any light on the CD error.

No , you're right , if there's a sequencing error on the original vinyl issue (New Jazz 8258) it differs from the sequencing error on the CD . I only wondered about the sequencing on the original , because I wondered why the track listing on it differs from both the CD reissue and the vinyl reissue (Prestige 7665) . However , looking at the CD booklet , I now understand why . The track sequence on Fantasy's CD reissue matches that of Prestige 7665 in order to , "improve upon the original by keeping the album's two sessions grouped together" . Whether the actual track order on that LP succeeded in doing that , and hence whether the sequencing error stems from that time , can only be answered by those who have Prestige 7665 .

Chas, the most intriguing thing to me about your post was the first line... "AMG did have the correct sequence at the time I posted - I remember I checked it against my own self-corrected CD inlay card." Chas, if you would, please explain in detail how and why you corrected your CD card.

As to the how , well , since I didn't have Photoshop , I simply typed up a new inlay card with the correct sequence and recording dates . If I'd had a CD Burner back then I'd have just burnt a disc with a sequence matching the inlay and booklet listing .

As to the why , I discovered the error exactly in the way you did , through familiarity with the tunes you cited . This was years ago , hence in my post from this past January I knew enough to double-check the AMG listing against my corrected one . Irrelevant today I know , but AMG did have it right at that time .

Chas, thanks. Interesting observation about the reissue vinyl.

Not that I don't believe you, but I'm surprised that AMG (notorious for being slow to implement corrections to their data over the years) would have made a correction AND reversed that correction within this span of time. Knowing that there are people (like the person I worked with at the CDDB database) who find it very difficult to accept that a record company would make such a mistake, and that a tray card can be wrong, maybe it's not so surprising that AMG readers would have caused the correction to be reversed. Somebody probably assumed that the corrected data at AMG was more likely to be wrong than what was printed on their CD, and perhaps the AMG editors didn't have the time or the inclination to check into it. Oh well, at least the CDDB has it right (for now).

I do have the Prestige 7665 reissue LP.

The track sequence on the cover and the label is that listed above as being the "current" AMG listing and the 1996 card listing in Jim R's post above. And these do appear to be sequential, i.e. 4 tracks from the session featuring Sonny Rollins first and 6 tracks from the session without Rolllins (i.e. with Art Farmer as the only horn) second.

I'm not sure I really managed to follow your above discussion about what is wrong. Is it that the problem is that "I'll Take Romance" and "Autmun Nocturne" have been switched around? I admit I am not sufficiently familiar with those two standards to identify them offhand but what is identified on the record as "Autumn Nocturne" does not have a sax on it so seems to be correct.

I do have the Prestige 7665 reissue LP.

The track sequence on the cover and the label is that listed above as being the "current" AMG listing and the 1996 card listing in Jim R's post above. And these do appear to be sequential, i.e. 4 tracks from the session featuring Sonny Rollins first and 6 tracks from the session without Rolllins (i.e. with Art Farmer as the only horn) second.

Okay, thank you for that. This seems to confirm everything written by Mark Gardner in his 1969 liner notes for 7665 (included in the CD booklet). Since you're not familiar with the songs, I suppose we can't assume there was no error on 7665 (tunes labeled incorrectly in terms of matching the actual LP sequencing of the tracks), but at least we know that the labeling was the same as on the CD, and sequenced to keep the original sessions together. By the way, Rollins sat out on "Wisteria", so the tracks from the two sessions can't entirely be sorted according to whether Sonny's tenor was present or not.

So, since the CD tracks were not programmed in the same order as the labeling on 7665, that's where the trouble lies in terms of the CD issue. If you are able to figure out whether the sequencing truly matched the labeling on 7665, that would be instructive. Perhaps you could find "I'll Take Romance" and "Autumn Nocturne" elsewhere in your jazz collection (if you don't have yours databased, you could search online for the various jazz versions of those tunes).

I'm not sure I really managed to follow your above discussion about what is wrong. Is it that the problem is that "I'll Take Romance" and "Autmun Nocturne" have been switched around?

No, on the CD, "Soft Shoe" was programmed 5th (instead of first), thus making the other tracks slide into different numerical positions (note that "I'll Take Romance" still follows "Confab In Tempo"; "Wisteria" still follows "I'll Take Romance", etc).

I admit I am not sufficiently familiar with those two standards to identify them offhand but what is identified on the record as "Autumn Nocturne" does not have a sax on it so seems to be correct.

One of the main reasons I bother with all of this is out of love and respect for the compositions (and the artists, in cases where their work is mixed up with someone else's). In this case, for people like yourself who aren't familiar with the two standards that are part of this confusion, I want the songs to be recognized (literally, and in the sense of being respected) and not have their identities diluted by errors like these.

I have copies of the Shorty Rogers Mosaic and scans of the track listings and detailed discography from the large booklet.

I found the track listing shows "Pearls" as the fourth song on Disc 3, but the discography titles it "Peals". Anybody know which is correct? I'm guessing the former, but you never know.

• 4 weeks later...

I have copies of the Shorty Rogers Mosaic and scans of the track listings and detailed discography from the large booklet.

I found the track listing shows "Pearls" as the fourth song on Disc 3, but the discography titles it "Peals". Anybody know which is correct? I'm guessing the former, but you never know.

'Peals' is correct. It is listed as thus in the LP track listings (also on side 7 of the LP set) and the detailed discography. 'Pearls' on the CD listing is a typo.

Played this tonight and remembered this thread...

4021263480_aae20b1d16.jpg

For the Japanese it's all about authentic reproduction , which is why this misspelling , which appeared on the original 10-inch LP cover , wasn't corrected for their reissue . I suppose we should be thankful that they're not reissuing 10-inch LPs on Mini CDs !

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

'Peals' is correct. It is listed as thus in the LP track listings (also on side 7 of the LP set) and the detailed discography. 'Pearls' on the CD listing is a typo.

Thank you, brownie. I finally caught up with this thread again. Much obliged.

• 4 months later...

I was going through Art Pepper - Mosaic Select 15 today and adding some more information to iTunes when I came across this statement in the Mosaic discography (also here in PDF):

"Angel Eyes", which does not include Pepper, originally issued on SOLO FLIGHT (Pacific Jazz JWC 505)

First thing I did was listen to the track and thought, well then, who's playing alto?

I'm guessing the discography meant to say the track didn't include Bill Perkins on tenor.

Edited by mellowT

Who is this guy, anyway? He looks very familiar.

SonnyRollins-TheSoundofSonnyFromThe.jpg

Okay, I've never seen that particular LP before, but I've opened this thread and seen the image twice now, and I don't get it... can somebody explain what/where the mistake is?

Looks like Sonny Rollins on the cover, at least to me. Maybe its a pic from around the time of "The Bridge" on RCA where he was keeping his hair really short and sporting a rather large goatee.

Edited by Holy Ghost