Mistakes in covers, booklets...

EKE BBB

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The booklet ( or at least my booklet ) for the Verve Elite Edition CD The Modern Jazz Society Presents A Concert Of Contemporary Music is screwed up . A section of Gunther Schuller's notes is missing , and a section is repeated .

You're right. I bought this used and the dude that previously owned it had two booklets; one that was defective, which he wrote 'error', and the other one ' corrected'.

Guess I missed the recall notice . So what is it exactly that I'm missing then ? ConfusedSmiley.gif

Funny you should ask. I bought this used at a store from some guy who was clearly OCD. When I looked inside the sleeve, the dude held on to both books, one was fine and the other he wrote in small letters on the back "bad printing". No idea where or what he meant because there's no indication of what's wrong. The colors and print looks the same so I have to guess that there's something wrong with the punctuation or grammar.

The booklet ( or at least my booklet ) for the Verve Elite Edition CD The Modern Jazz Society Presents A Concert Of Contemporary Music is screwed up . A section of Gunther Schuller's notes is missing , and a section is repeated .

You're right. I bought this used and the dude that previously owned it had two booklets; one that was defective, which he wrote 'error', and the other one ' corrected'.

Guess I missed the recall notice . So what is it exactly that I'm missing then ? ConfusedSmiley.gif

Funny you should ask. I bought this used at a store from some guy who was clearly OCD. When I looked inside the sleeve, the dude held on to both books, one was fine and the other he wrote in small letters on the back "bad printing". No idea where or what he meant because there's no indication of what's wrong. The colors and print looks the same so I have to guess that there's something wrong with the punctuation or grammar.

Just so we're clear , are you saying that the booklets you have are without the narrative repetition and lacuna found in the booklet I have ?

some Fantasy booklets were incomplete or with such repeated and missing sections... I have a twofer (ca. 2001 or 2002, can't remember what it was, but someone else once asked for a scan of the page in question and I added a request there as well... to no avail) where one page of the notes was just plain black.

And the RVG of that Earland "Black Talk" album had a repeated section of the notes and missed the final parts instead.

Guest Bill Barton

Here's a question that I've asked before on this and a couple of other boards plus the Bright Moments Yahoo! group...

Does anyone know the genesis of the title "Carney and Begard Place"? This track was originally issued on Meeting of the Times by Al Hibbler and Rahsaan Roland Kirk. It has been reissued on at least two CD collections that I know of. Was this a typo on Bigard's name or was it intentional?

Just so we're clear , are you saying that the booklets you have are without the narrative repetition and lacuna found in the booklet I have ?

Ok, I went back and compared both booklets. The first booklet, the one that the dude wrote 'bad printing' on, is the one that you indicated above with the missing notes starting right after where it says "Stan's wife and three kids were in an terrible accident" and right after the photo page starts, and then it goes right back to the beginning notes 'This reissue comprises..." Apparently, Verve reprinted the booklet and that error was rectified. The previous owner of this cd probably contacted Verve and had a corrected booklet mailed out or something like that.

Edited by Holy Ghost

I hope you'll grant me some latitude here, since this gaffe does not come from a CD's liner notes or packaging. In a review of a Mike DiRubbo disc, Scott Yanow writes:

Owned by Cory Weeds, the Cellar Restaurant in Vancouver is considered one of the world's top jazz clubs. The success of Weeds' club has led logically to his formation of the Cellar Live label. On February 2, 2006, the Cellar was host to a top-notch New York quartet. Altoist Mike DiRubbo...

The title of the reviewed disc? New York Accent - Live at the Kitano :lol:

Here's a good 'un.

Just been listening to

Gene Ludwig & Cecil Brooks - Double exposure - Savant

In the sleeve notes, by Bill Milkowski, who shoud know rather better, I think, this gem:

"Ludwig adopts Earl Gardner's block chord style..."

:D

Even better, Bill says that the album was recorded at the end of the session that produced Jimmy Ponder's "What's new" (HighNote 7100). There's so much about the circumstances, backed by quoted from Cecil, that I'm sure there's no mistake about this. On the reverse of the notes, it says "recorded in July 2000". But "What's new" was recorded on 5 August 2002, a trio session with Ponder, Ludwig & Brooks. Ponder's album "Thumbs up" was recorded in July 2000, but Gene Ludwig isn't on that album. So there's no reason why he should have been there to use up a couple of spare hours at the end.

So two different people made two different types of mistake on this one.

MG

Guest Bill Barton

I hope you'll grant me some latitude here, since this gaffe does not come from a CD's liner notes or packaging. In a review of a Mike DiRubbo disc, Scott Yanow writes:

Owned by Cory Weeds, the Cellar Restaurant in Vancouver is considered one of the world's top jazz clubs. The success of Weeds' club has led logically to his formation of the Cellar Live label. On February 2, 2006, the Cellar was host to a top-notch New York quartet. Altoist Mike DiRubbo...

:rofl:

But, then, if we're going to include Yanow-isms, wouldn't that take up a whole (long) thread of its own? :w

Oh, and to repeat my previous question, does anyone know the genesis of that "Carney and Begard Place" title from Meeting of the Times by Rahsaan Roland Kirk and Al Hibbler (reissued in myriad Rah collections with the same spelling)? I've often wondered whether it was just a typo/misspelling or was meant to be that way. Fellow Rahsaanaholics on the Yahoo! Bright Moments group never did shed any light on this question.

Edited by Bill Barton

• 2 months later...

OK, someone tell me if I'm crazy. Today I got a Japanese Victor pressing of Wes' So Much Guitar featuring Ron Cartar on the front cover. In all the issues of this album, I've never seen Carter misspelled except here. Anyone seen Cartar on any other So Much Guitar? (For that matter, it's misspelled six times as that block of text repeats down the side. Heh.)

Edited by Captain Wrong

Regarding your question about "Carney and Begard Place" --

The LP issue of "Meeting of the Times" has the song spelled as you indicate. Based on a review on line (I don't have the album), Kirk plays baritone saxophone and clarinet at the same time on the tune, so it's pretty clear that it's a joint reference to Harry Carney and Barney Bigard. The tune is registered at the Harry Fox Agency as "Carney and Begard Place."

:rofl:

But, then, if we're going to include Yanow-isms, wouldn't that take up a whole (long) thread of its own? :w

Oh, and to repeat my previous question, does anyone know the genesis of that "Carney and Begard Place" title from Meeting of the Times by Rahsaan Roland Kirk and Al Hibbler (reissued in myriad Rah collections with the same spelling)? I've often wondered whether it was just a typo/misspelling or was meant to be that way. Fellow Rahsaanaholics on the Yahoo! Bright Moments group never did shed any light on this question.

• 5 months later...

Here's a good cd misprint.

100_0971.jpg

If he were only a Moonie instead of nutjob Scientologist.

:g

He may be a "nutjob" as you say (are we still judging musicians on things other than their music?), but the man can still play. He may still be one of the better pianists out there.

Edited by JETman

(are we still judging musicians on things other than their music?)

Why not? Do you know any bank managers? Do you judge them solely by their abilities as bank managers? Or any other line of work?

MG

Consider the source of the original statement.

And knowing someone is a little different than what's behind statements like these.

Do you know any musicians, or any people for that matter, who are beyond reproach?

well, if they don't steal my money I don't care how many goats they've been with -

Some musicians are in fact doing just that!

Why not? Do you know any bank managers? Do you judge them solely by their abilities as bank managers? Or any other line of work?

MG

And knowing someone is a little different than what's behind statements like these.

Do you know any musicians, or any people for that matter, who are beyond reproach?

No, I don't. But you have to take people as they are. Which means not ignoring things about them. I think this is a very difficult issue and started a thread about it about a year ago or so. In the end, I think one can't REJECT the music of someone who was insane and murdered his girl friend, or bands whose long-standing tradition was to use their music as propaganda and did so for a repressive and later a murderous political regime. But one can't forget that there is this or that about these people, either.

MG

MG

No, I don't. But you have to take people as they are. Which means not ignoring things about them. I think this is a very difficult issue and started a thread about it about a year ago or so. In the end, I think one can't REJECT the music of someone who was insane and murdered his girl friend, or bands whose long-standing tradition was to use their music as propaganda and did so for a repressive and later a murderous political regime. But one can't forget that there is this or that about these people, either.

MG

You're equating following Scientology to being insane?

Listen, I'm as guilty as the next guy when it comes to being judgmental. However, when I did meet Chick at an in-store he was a truly nice guy, and amazingly humble (Boston accent and all, DAN!!!). All of the stuff about his beliefs went out the window for me. There's no arguing that he is a very gifted musician/composer who has alot to offer. In my mind, that's all that matters.