Mistakes in covers, booklets...

EKE BBB

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Oy. No, AMG still has the sequence wrong. All these years go by, and still nobody seems to get it, despite the fact that there are some well-known songs on this disc. I wrote to Fantasy in 1996 regarding the error in programming of tunes on the first CD release. I received a letter stating that the error would be corrected, and that I would receive a new copy of the CD when it became available. I received another Early Art CD in the Summer of 1998, and it had the exact same errors.

Here is the correct track listing (at least the way they're sequenced on my CD):

1. confab in tempo

2. i'll take romance

3. wisteria

4. autumn nocturne

5. soft shoe

6. i've never been in love before

7. i'll walk alone

8. gone with the wind

9. alone together

10. pre amp

On tracks 1,2,3 and 5, the group was Art Farmer,Sonny Rollins,Horace Silver,Percy Heath,Kenny Clarke. (Jan. 20, 1954)

On the remaining tracks, Farmer,Wynton Kelly,Addison Farmer,Herbie Lovelle. (Nov. 9, 1954)

A few months ago, when I was transferring the music to iTunes, I noticed that the CDDB had the sequence wrong, so I wrote to them too. After about two weeks of back-and-forth messages to explain and convince, they finally got it right (last time I checked).

Thanks for this! I finally got a CD copy of this album (only had mp3s from eMusic before) and upon popping the disc into my iTunes, the different (correct!) track listing at first confused me. But then I remembered this thread - very helpful, so thanks again! :)

I wish the record company would correct this, at least on their website!

• 2 weeks later...

Who on earth is the tenor saxophonist on the cover of the 2-LP set Hank Mobley/"Messages" (Prestige 24063)?

Aha, there seem to be two different covers. I had only ever seen the one that that actually has Mobley, which I assume is a second corrected version. But yes, who is the tenorist on the other one?

$(KGrHqMOKp!E3tTlFCYqBN8OTpOG(!~~_3.JPG

1cb28a2d82f0c93386cb0d1eb8982497.jpg

Top one looks like Johnny Griffin to me...

Who on earth is the tenor saxophonist on the cover of the 2-LP set Hank Mobley/"Messages" (Prestige 24063)?

Aha, there seem to be two different covers. I had only ever seen the one that that actually has Mobley, which I assume is a second corrected version. But yes, who is the tenorist on the other one?

$%28KGrHqMOKp%21E3tTlFCYqBN8OTpOG%28%21%7E%7E_3.JPG

1cb28a2d82f0c93386cb0d1eb8982497.jpg

Top one looks like Johnny Griffin to me...

Harold Land.

Andrew Hill Nefertiti Test of Time , noticed the other day that the disc itself incorrectly states Art Farmer - Nerfertiti, everything else is correct and Art is nowhere to be heard on the disc. I assume ToT must have an Art Farmer session on their books.

51T2408JVNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by Clunky

• 1 month later...

Here's a good 'un.

Just been listening to

Gene Ludwig & Cecil Brooks - Double exposure - Savant

In the sleeve notes, by Bill Milkowski, who shoud know rather better, I think, this gem:

"Ludwig adopts Earl Gardner's block chord style..."

:D

Even better, Bill says that the album was recorded at the end of the session that produced Jimmy Ponder's "What's new" (HighNote 7100). There's so much about the circumstances, backed by quoted from Cecil, that I'm sure there's no mistake about this. On the reverse of the notes, it says "recorded in July 2000". But "What's new" was recorded on 5 August 2002, a trio session with Ponder, Ludwig & Brooks. Ponder's album "Thumbs up" was recorded in July 2000, but Gene Ludwig isn't on that album. So there's no reason why he should have been there to use up a couple of spare hours at the end.

So two different people made two different types of mistake on this one.

MG

I just found this post and wanted to confirm that "What's New" and "Double Exposure" came from the same recording session done in July 2000. I was there, the trio did the tracks for Jimmy's CD and then Cecil and Gene stayed on to put some more tracks in the can for a future duo release. That was one long day.

pattye ludwig

Oh, I just found this post. Very interesting, thank you Pattye.

I wonder when Ponder's 'Thumbs up' was recorded. Surely not July 2000 as well...

MG

• 4 weeks later...

The liner notes of Sounds for the 60's by Onzy Matthews are very helpful in identifying which tracks have solos by saxophonists Sonny Crisp and Curtis Amey.

Sonny Crisp - I actually kind of like that....

The Oakland A's have a player named Coco (in my mind, I spell it "Cocoa") Crisp. They also have a player with the last name of "Balfour"... and he's a pitcher! :shrug[1]: But I digress. :)

51cr26iM56L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A 'Best of' Document cd with an illustration of Josie Miles instead of Ida Cox. I realised the other day why this might be - in Daphne Duval Harrison's 'Black Pearls Blues' book the chapter on Ida Cox begins on a page opposite the (correctly captioned) photo of Miles.

I just noticed that, in the Mosaic box, Louis Armstrong's complete Decca sessions, the track, "Baby don't you cry", on disc 7, is credited to Louis Armstrong, rather than the great Buddy Johnson. Bit of a swiz, because Buddy's estate, not Louis', should be getting royalties for this.

MG

• 1 month later...