Rock "solo projects"/"side projects"

Rooster_Ties

If you like The Damned and also "nuggets-style" garage rock, this is the best of both worlds.

Naz Nomad & Nightmares (yes, actually The Damned) - "Give Daddy the Knife Cindy"

- Includes such classics as: "Action Woman", "Kicks" and "I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night)"

g51858icfkw.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember when Kiss put out four solo albums in ’78? The Ace Frehley album KICKED ASS and was as close to the spirit of Kiss as any of their regular albums (in fact, even closer than the other three solo albums combined.) Pity that he couldn’t keep his act together, as the band started going downhill after this.

Anybody ever heard this???

c795888950w.jpg

Neil Young's soundtrack to the movie "Dead Man" (from 1996)

Actually this isn't such an odd thing from Neil. When has he ever done the expected? Anyone remember Journey through the Past or Where the Buffalo Roam? That's an obscure soundtrack from each decade (70s, 80s, 90s), so I'm wondering what this decade will bring.

What about Arc, from the Ragged Glory tour documented on Weld? A single, 34 min or so disc, one track, feedback drenched intros and outros of songs edited together, a composition collage!

• 5 months later...

People seem to have generally slept on this one...

e60073zdkyy.jpg

Phil Manzanera - Diamond Head (1975)

Features an amazing (and not altogether unexpected) line-up including: Brian Eno, Robert Wyatt, Charles Haywood (of This Heat), John Wetton (Crimson, etc).

Eno takes vocal duties on "Big Day," a tune that would not have sounded out of place on any of his early solo records (Here Come the Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain, etc). It's a really amazing tune. Similarly, Robert Wyatt sings (in Spanish) on "Frontera". It's been said that "Frontera" is basically Wyatt's own "Teen Spirit" (from Ruth is Stranger than Richard) but I don't really see it.

Anyway, cool record...

• 2 months later...

I'd like to bring this thread back up as I missed it all together when it was happening. Here are a few I'd recommend:

d69336550n7.jpg

'It Is and It Isn't' by Gordon Haskell - ex-King Crimson lead vocalist from 'In the Wake of Poseidon' and 'Lizard'. Very soothing in a melancholic breathy kind of way.

d12569c5iqc.jpg

UK - with John Wetton, Bill Bruford, Eddie Jobson, and Allan Holdsworth. If you like Crimson, Yes, Elp, etc. you'll love this one, and the other UK records as well. Terry Bozio replaced Bill Bruford on later albums.

d09873118pn.jpg

'Voyage of the Acolyte' by Steve Hackett - former Genesis guitartist. This is a masterpiece.

c4674907976.jpg

'Living in the Material World' by George Harrison - my favorite George record. Simply one of the most heart wrenching record I've ever heard. Blows away anything Paul ever didk after the Beatles broke up.

e56840pcnc9.jpg

'Fish Out of water' by Chris Squire - with Bill Bruford, Patrick Moraz and Mel Collins. This is my favorite Yes man solo album.

c97375wcfyu.jpg

'Blows Against the Empire' by Paul Kantner - I'd put this record right up to any of the Jefferson Airplane records. It has a 'Crown of Creation' feel, but with David Crosby, Jerry Garcia, Graham Nash, Grace Slick, Mickey Hart, and jack Casady instead of the regular Airplane line-up. Great record.

I could go on, but it would take me all day. Maybe more later.

I haven't heard this in many, many years -- but seem to remember having a roommate that used to have this on tape.

c51287o4l7j.jpg

Roger Hodgson - "In the Eye of The Storm", from 1984.  Hodgson was half of Supertramp (he was the higher of the two voices), and you might remember the tune "Had a Dream [sleeping with the Eneny]" which got some airplay, if I remember right.

The AMG review is quite favorable, and says that Hodgson played nearly all the instruments on this album himself - which I think is impressive.  (Ben Folds did the same thing on a recent album of his.)

Just reviewing this thread, and completely missed this the first time around. I never bought the album, but "Had a Dream" was one of my favorite singles of that year. It came out right around the same time that Supertramp put out an album without Hodgson, and the single from THAT album, "Cannonball," sounded a lot like "Had a Dream," complete with extended piano coda.

d09873118pn.jpg

'Voyage of the Acolyte' by Steve Hackett - former Genesis guitartist.  This is a masterpiece.

THAT looks interesting. Always dug Hackett's work with Genesis.

c4674907976.jpg

'Living in the Material World' by George Harrison - my favorite George record.  Simply one of the most heart wrenching record I've ever heard.  Blows away anything Paul ever didk after the Beatles broke up.

Well.... the same could be said about just about any other record in the world, material or otherwise. :g:P:D;)

• 9 months later...

I haven't heard this in many, many years -- but seem to remember having a roommate that used to have this on tape.

c51287o4l7j.jpg

Roger Hodgson - "In the Eye of The Storm", from 1984.  Hodgson was half of Supertramp (he was the higher of the two voices), and you might remember the tune "Had a Dream [sleeping with the Eneny]" which got some airplay, if I remember right.

The AMG review is quite favorable, and says that Hodgson played nearly all the instruments on this album himself - which I think is impressive.  (Ben Folds did the same thing on a recent album of his.)

Just reviewing this thread, and completely missed this the first time around. I never bought the album, but "Had a Dream" was one of my favorite singles of that year. It came out right around the same time that Supertramp put out an album without Hodgson, and the single from THAT album, "Cannonball," sounded a lot like "Had a Dream," complete with extended piano coda.

I finally pulled the trigger on a used copy of this Hodgson disc, which came in the mail today.

"Had a Dream (Sleeping With the Enemy)" is still totally da bomb ( :tup ), and I had forgotten about the tune "In Jeopardy" - which is primo too. Will make a good disc to listen to in the car on some upcoming roadtrips with me and Mrs. Rooster.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Couple other recent purchases. The first one primarily for me...

g77706x7mtu.jpg

Billy Corgan - "The Future Embrace"

and the second one, more for my wife...

e00739266ef.jpg

Michael Hutchence - "Michael Hutchence"

I'm liking the Hutchence more than I expected to, and the Corgan is sweet!! :tup

Edited by Rooster_Ties

f85053cuku1.jpg

Import only, but definitely worth grabbing. Masters Of Reality is really just Criss Goss and whatever side musicians he happens to use on albums/tours. For this 2001 tour to support "Deep In The Hole", he brought in Josh Homme & Chris Oliveri from Queens Of The Stone Age to be his backing group...the results are incendiary.

Criss & Josh's voices blend beautifully (as do their guitars) and the material ranges from the heavy (Blue Garden, Time To Burn) to psychedelic/druggie (Why The Fly, Rabbit One) to straight old-fashioned rock n roll (She Got Me, John Brown).

4 stars

Thom Yorke of Radiohead will be releasing his first 'solo' album on June 11. Should be interesting.

Prediction: Half of it will be brilliant, and the other half will be just pain weird. And everyone will agree that this is the case, but people will get into arguments over which tunes fall in which camp.