Calling All Canadians! (..or Canadian wannabes)

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

BTW, Robert -- since I forgot to follow up earlier w/you, how was the Amsterdam trip last year? You get to the Kracked Kettle and that smoky hole-in-the-wall brew joint ('Golem') just across the alley?

Golem was crowded that night and too smoky for my wife. You were right - it seats about 20 people. Interesting place though.

Did get into the Kettle across the lane, but I got too excited with the selection there. This is just one of the walls.

kettle.jpg

I asked the guy to focus me on (of course) wheat beers. He was a young dude, not that stoned Irish guy you mentioned. Gave me a few good ones from the fridge, reasonably priced.

beer.jpg

I live near Buffalo - about 1.5 hrs drive from Toronto and have visited it many times over the years. Very nice cosmopolitan city.

But I'd recommend Montreal in a heartbeat. I travel there every year (since 1991) for the Jazz Festival and have never been disappointed. There's tons to see and do and overall, I'd have to say that the city just has a great atmosphere. Nice art museums and galleries, Old Montreal is very very nice (though not quite in the same league as Quebec City - where I also went last year). Mount Royal Park, the Oratory, a wonderful botanical garden, the Biodome, a real nice science centre and Imax theatre, a vibrant down town, great areas like St Denis, Crescent St and around McGill University, some nice Irish pubs, boat tours around the island. There's lots of clubs and entertainment venues, nice restaurants in Old Montreal and elsewhere, great architecture. Last year, I went to Montreal for a hockey game as well while enroute to Tremblant for some skiing. Tremblant is about a hour's drive north if you'll have a car and worth a day trip, imo. Some beautiful scenery up in the Laurentians. :cool:

I was there in 1967. Don't remember much, as I was 10. ... I'll withhold my vote until some Canadians weigh in. :w

Hey - sounds familiar. My parents took our family to Expo 67. I was 10 as well. It was a blast - very cool. I still remember the Soviet Union Pavilion among others :cool:

I live near Buffalo - about 1.5 hrs drive from Toronto and have visited it many times over the years. Very nice cosmopolitan city.

funny - I was just in Buffalo the previous weekend with my family for the tail end of march break. I also picked up 2 cases of beer for what I spend on a single case here.

Had Blue Moon on tap as well! You guys have it good - you can go out, have 3 good pints, and spend $10. :)

But still, I'd rather be in Montreal. I have some great memories of my many visits. If it were not for the job situation when I graduated in 1991 I would have moved there. But life happens and so Toronto, and then the suburbs.

I like that comment of Mark Twain's about not being able to toss a brick 100 yards in any direction without hitting a church in Montreal.

Thanks to all for the various responses/suggestions. Montreal is the clear cut winner.....Air Canada tix to be purchased within the week. As a penalty for not participating, I had to.......well, hopefully Patricia won't decide to check her Air Canada account for frequent flyer miles anytime soon. :w