Reid Miles - non-BN covers

mjzee

He did a few cover photos for BN, but also the design for them too.

What about The Basement Tapes? I know that's his photo, is it his design as well?

Heck, I started a thread about a Time magazine cover photo he had done, but darned if I know where or when...

Miles did cover photography for BN and Prestige.

Its still his designs, not his photography, that makes it a "Reid Miles" cover. How many BNs don't include Frank Wolff photos or one of those model shots?

First things that pop into my head, Miles shot some of the Andrew Hill cover photos AND those model shots.

Miles did cover photography for BN and Prestige.

Its still his designs, not his photography, that makes it a "Reid Miles" cover. How many BNs don't include Frank Wolff photos or one of those model shots?

First things that pop into my head, Miles shot some of the Andrew Hill cover photos AND those model shots.

OK, but when you think "Reid Miles cover" don't you think the type face and design rather than photography? I certainly do.

He did a few cover photos for BN, but also the design for them too.

What about The Basement Tapes? I know that's his photo, is it his design as well?

Well then the costume designer and art director of "I'm Not There" owe him a big shout out: the whole look of the Richard Gere section is based on the cover of The Basemen Tapes

(and the names of most of the characters are from songs on the record).

Does anyone know if Reid took the photo of the barbwire that is on the cover of Jimmy Raney's "A" album cover for Prestige? I'm pretty sure its his design. This is one of my favorite non BN covers Reid did.

The credit on the cover reads Miles/Parry so I'd guess Parry took the shot.

Thanks Chuck. I only have the cd and always had trouble reading the tiny credits on the booklet!

Does anyone know if Reid took the photo of the barbwire that is on the cover of Jimmy Raney's "A" album cover for Prestige? I'm pretty sure its his design. This is one of my favorite non BN covers Reid did.

Thanks Chuck. I only have the cd and always had trouble reading the tiny credits on the booklet!

What are ya, blind?

:g

What are ya, blind?

:g

Getting there! Thanks for the link Dan! :rsmile:

• 1 year later...

I'm going through the great Birkajazz site (Birka Jazz - Prestige), and I love how they mention who did the Prestige covers. Here are the ones that Reid Miles did (at least, of the covers they feature):

mobleyMessage.jpg

Design: Reid Miles

raneyPrestige7089.jpg

davisCookin.jpg

Design: Reid Miles, Illustration: Phil Hays

bryantPrestige.jpg

Design: Reid Miles, Photo: Esmond Edwards

davisBagsGroove.jpg

waldronMal2.jpg

Design: Reid Miles, Photo: Hill Connors

woodsPhilQuill.jpg

Design: Reid Miles, Photo: Jim Pearsall

• 5 months later...

And , another such collaboration :

Moondog.jpg

The text reads :

"Moondog is a poet who versifies in sound, a diarist overcome by love, curiosity and amusement by everything that reaches his ears, all of which he transposes into a symphony of himself. It may be the roar from the streets; it may be the casual chatter in a room or, best of all, it will be that secret music that seeps through imagination and memory. These experiences so dull to the dull but so alive to him, he orchestrates into a record of those enchanting conversations everyone can hold with himself would he only listen for a bemused moment. They make up the script of that unique tragi-comedy, the story of anyone's life. Pricking up our ears would be so easy, yet it is seldom done. But when Moondog compels us to do it, we are entranced and delivered willingly into new worlds of meaning."