MLB 2008

Well I say, keep going for the sweep! Probably the weakest pitching matchup tomorrow, with Hammel opposing Wang. Would be nice if it were ace against ace, Kazmir vs Wang. But if he elevates some sinkers ... I definitely like the Shields/Mussina matchup for Monday. Would be very surprised if the Rays don't at least win the series.

As for Beckett, interesting news that his back spasms weren't the big problem - it was his right hip, too. I guess we're lucky that he is only missing one start. Unfortunately even if he is strong and effective, he's going to be on a pitch count of probably around 85. So it's not like he can win it single handedly. Hopefully he can get six innings + and Halloday won't have it. Going 4-3 on a 19000 mile, three country road trip would be pretty good.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And the Tigers remain winless!

I saw a partial score with the Tigers winning and Dontrelle Willis throwing a no-hitter through five but having walked seven men. :blink: Then Chicago finally chased him and the bullpen gave up a few more runs.

I have to say I think I'd prefer the Tigers to win on Sunday so that they don't come into Fenway still looking for their first win and getting plenty mad about it. We don't need them ruining the ring ceremony/world championship banner raising Opening Day. :g

And the Tigers remain winless!

I saw a partial score with the Tigers winning and Dontrelle Willis throwing a no-hitter through five but having walked seven men. :blink: Then Chicago finally chased him and the bullpen gave up a few more runs.

I have to say I think I'd prefer the Tigers to win on Sunday so that they don't come into Fenway still looking for their first win and getting plenty mad about it. We don't need them ruining the ring ceremony/world championship banner raising Opening Day. :g

They'll be back

162 game season.

Dan,

Delcarmen STINKS !.....seriously i don't know what they see in this kid ?......I know, I know hes got good stuff

yadda,yadda ........he just gave up a grand slam to Frank Thomas , do they still call Thomas the BIG hurt ?

because if not that should be Delcarmens new name

Dan,

Delcarmen STINKS !.....seriously i don't know what they see in this kid ?......I know, I know hes got good stuff

yadda,yadda ........he just gave up a grand slam to Frank Thomas , do they still call Thomas the BIG hurt ?

because if not that should be Delcarmens new name

... ruh roh ...

And now the Orioles are sneakin' in some wins against the mighty Mariners, who come to Tampa next.

Yankees win 2-0. Shields leaves a changeup too fat and Matsui takes him deep. That's the difference. On the plus side, Upton made two g-r-e-a-t plays in center, laying out for a catch in right center and later throwing a bullet to the bag to nail Betemit trying to advance from first to third on a double. Rivera was lights out, unfortunately. Untouchable. Chamberlain too.

Edited by papsrus

Well, anemic offense, h :crazy: rrid defense and a bullpen full of arsonists.

Is there a more deserving last place team in the majors? I mean, other than the Giants.

As for MDC, he certainly looked last year like he was ready to step up and be Oki's right handed eighth inning partner. Now it looks like they need to pray that Timlin is that guy for yet another year - and he won't even come off the DL until the Yankee series.

I guess all we can hope for is that home cooking and receiving their rings will turn this crap around.

My first ever baseball fantasy squad

Catchers

Jason Varitek

Mike Barrett

Jason Kendall

1st base

Ryan Howard

Jim Thome

2nd base

Jeff Kent

Kelly Johnson

Shortstop

Troy Tulowitzki

Jason Barlett

3rd base

Casey Blake

Joe Crede

Outfield

Grady Sizemore

Andrew Jones

Ichiro

Johnny Damon

Garrett Anderson

Gary Matthews Jr

Pitchers

Brandon Webb

Fausto Carmona

Jeff Francis

Kevin Escobar

Tim Wakefield

Dontrelle Willis

Could be spelling errors

Catchers

Jason Varitek

Mike Barrett

Jason Kendall

1st base

Ryan Howard

Jim Thome

2nd base

Jeff Kent

Kelly Johnson

Shortstop

Troy Tulowitzki

Jason Barlett

3rd base

Casey Blake

Joe Crede

Outfield

Grady Sizemore

Andrew Jones

Ichiro

Johnny Damon

Garrett Anderson

Gary Matthews Jr

Pitchers

Brandon Webb

Fausto Carmona

Jeff Francis

Kevin Escobar

Tim Wakefield

Dontrelle Willis

Could be spelling errors

I don't do the Fantasy thing but it looks to me like you've made some pretty poor choices, if you simply chose your team as opposed to going through a Draft system where you end up taking some players because they are the best of the rest. Specifically, even I wouldn't take Varitek as the top catcher, and Jason Kendall has been a disaster for several years now. Jeff Kent is on the decline, if you couldn't get Utley then what about Pedroia or Cano? Damon and Andruw Jones aren't going to give you much either. Top pitchers are good choices except that Escobar is hurt, iirc, and Willis is likely to be horrible, judging by his last couple of years, and how he looks for the Tigers so far. Wake is Wake, I don't think league average innings are likely to get you to the top of the list.

With the season only 3% of the way done its way too early to be too excited or upset about anything right now.

Who are the sadists that came up with the A's and Red Sox opening schedules?

Japan to California to Toronto? Are you kidding me.

As for the A's, again too early to be upset about anything but for some reason Travis Buck is an automatic out which isn't good when he is your leadoff hitter and for the rest of the year I will refer to Jack Cusk at (K)ust.

Really happy with starting pitching, maybe they will score a run for Joe Blanton this year. Poor guy in on pace to have an era under 2.50 and lose 30 games.

Edited by WorldB3

With the season only 3% of the way done its way too early to be too excited or upset about anything right now.

The A's have little to complain about. They were back in their own beds within a day of the Tokyo games, with a nice little homestand. Its the Red Sox who got screwed with the 15000+ mile road trip, getting to their own beds in Boston only yesterday, ten days after the A's.

Catchers

Jason Varitek

Mike Barrett

Jason Kendall

1st base

Ryan Howard

Jim Thome

2nd base

Jeff Kent

Kelly Johnson

Shortstop

Troy Tulowitzki

Jason Barlett

3rd base

Casey Blake

Joe Crede

Outfield

Grady Sizemore

Andrew Jones

Ichiro

Johnny Damon

Garrett Anderson

Gary Matthews Jr

Pitchers

Brandon Webb

Fausto Carmona

Jeff Francis

Kevin Escobar

Tim Wakefield

Dontrelle Willis

Could be spelling errors

I don't do the Fantasy thing but it looks to me like you've made some pretty poor choices, if you simply chose your team as opposed to going through a Draft system where you end up taking some players because they are the best of the rest. Specifically, even I wouldn't take Varitek as the top catcher, and Jason Kendall has been a disaster for several years now. Jeff Kent is on the decline, if you couldn't get Utley then what about Pedroia or Cano?

For what it's worth Kendall has laser surgery on his eyes and supposedly showed up in good shape (but yes he is old.) Once you get past the top 3 or 4 catchers it doesn't matter much who you have. And Kelly Johnson at second could be a darn good player (PH grand slam the other night, though his knee is hurting.) I'm wondering who's going to get saves as there's no bullpen. The other thing is while some leagues do the 2 catcher thing one usually doesn't need every position backed up like one would with a real baseball team. So for instance drop at least 1 C, and 2 if you only have to play 1, then probably Crede, Barlett, Anderson and perhaps someone else for more pitching (unless there is a upper limit to innings, but even if there is Escobar is toast & there may be better options in the FA pile than Willis.) It all depends on what the rules are though in the game Soulstation is playing.

The A's have little to complain about. They were back in their own beds within a day of the Tokyo games, with a nice little homestand. Its the Red Sox who got screwed with the 15000+ mile road trip, getting to their own beds in Boston only yesterday, ten days after the A's.

Having made that Tokyo flight myself, the transition going over is a breeze. You sleep on the plane, wake up, a few hours later arrive in Tokyo late afternoon, eat a light dinner, sleep again, get up early the next day and you're good to go. The way back, for some reason, is an absolute killer. Took me about a week to recover.

Having made that Tokyo flight myself, the transition going over is a breeze. You sleep on the plane, wake up, a few hours later arrive in Tokyo late afternoon, eat a light dinner, sleep again, get up early the next day and you're good to go. The way back, for some reason, is an absolute killer. Took me about a week to recover.

I think it depends on when you leave and when you are going to arrive. The Red Sox team physician was advising that all players not sleep on the plane going over at all costs. They left from Fort Myers around 6 pm, arrived Chicago around 10:00pm and were in Tokyo and going through Customs around 11 PM local time. So the idea was to not sleep going over to maximize exhaustion so that the players would theoretically collapse into bed for a long night's sleep, right on time with the local time. Some people had trouble because they slept during the flight; other people had trouble because of a tendency to stay indoors, at the hotel or at the Tokyo Dome - daylight having the biggest impact on setting and re-setting the circadian clock. Not sure about the return but I could understand how it would screw things up because they left around midnight local time and reached L.A. in 12 hours, but local time was like 6 pm. So if you slept on the plane, you're screwed up again.

Speaking from my own experiences, flying westbound to another continent (or at least several time zones) has always been alot easier than flying eastbound. Maybe it's the timing of flights and when you actually arrive at your destination though, and whether you have to stay awake alot of extra hours or not. Sleeping on planes for me hasn't seemed to help adjust time zones in general.

Speaking from my own experiences, flying westbound to another continent (or at least several time zones) has always been alot easier than flying eastbound. Maybe it's the timing of flights and when you actually arrive at your destination though, and whether you have to stay awake alot of extra hours or not. Sleeping on planes for me hasn't seemed to help adjust time zones in general.

I think you're right about this. Heading east is harder on the old internal clock than heading west. Maybe it has something to do with gaining a little time as you head west? Even flying to Europe (not a terribly long flight) can be tiring once you arrive. Coming back seems much easier.

In any case, what is gained from these trips to Tokyo? Baseball thrives in Japan. It's not like anyone needs to promote the game there.

Edited by papsrus

They want to promote MLB there.

Yeah ... but MLB is popular there already. It's not hard to find MLB games on TV in Japan. Fox is available on satellite. Putting MLB franchises in Japan would be challenging for the reasons we're discussing. Maybe it's partly a gesture for taking all their best players. ... :w

MLB has been promoting itself in Japan for decades.

I went to see the Mets in 1974 play a team of Japanese All-stars in Korakuen Stadium in Tokyo. It was preceded by the famous Hank Aaron/Sadaharu Oh home run hitting contest.

Yogi Berra upon arrival in Japan, Oct 74:

35372_227201834b.jpg

Tom Seaver & Joe Torre:

35372_22720203b.jpg

Hank Aaron in the HR contest:

3oLoqocH.jpg

Edited by Aggie87

I think you're right about this. Heading east is harder on the old internal clock than heading west. Maybe it has something to do with gaining a little time as you head west? Even flying to Europe (not a terribly long flight) can be tiring once you arrive. Coming back seems much easier.

It's simple: it is easier to stay up late and sleep in than it is to go to bed early and wake up early. Same principle.

Its RING day here in BOSTON !!!!!!!!!!!

And the big story in the papers was the mystery of who would throw out the first pitch. Such a big secret, described only as someone who would "bring chills to everyone watching" ... and now it can be told:

267804937_5d40215ca4_b.jpg

Welcome home, Billy Buckner!