MLB 2008

Yeah, and I like our chances against Jennings today, an NL pitcher against what is, somewhat surprisingly, the best offense in the AL right now (I especially like those 5 HRs he's given up in fewer than 15 innings).

And who'da thunk it? Jennings has an outstanding performance against your guys, only to be given away by the bullpen. {{{{{{{{{{{{{SIGH}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Yeah, that's why I was so annoyed from the second to the seventh innings, and no more so than when Lugo hits the first pitch he sees and kills the first rally they had. Luckily Manny is completely locked in right now, and a week ago, Papi's shot into the shift would have gotten gobbled up.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's the rub - teams want cost certainty, and smart players realize that they can get injured or for that matter discover that its not so easy against the greatest pitchers in the world. So they get a chance to set their families up with guaranteed money - and still get a chance at the silly bucks while they are still young.

IMO, Rays fans should be ecstatic that the ownership seems genuinely committed to building the team. The old ownership would have renewed him for three years, and then traded him when he became eligible for arbitration.

Amen to that. Everyone but the union and a few talk radio jocks seem happy with the deal. ... Now, to find a shortstop! Bartlett has shown a remarkable penchant for both costly errors and hitting into rally-killing double plays (not to mention he's barely above .200). It's early, but he's got to firm things up on both counts.

Now, to find a shortstop!

How'd you like Julio Lugo back? I'm sure Theo would pay 6 or 7 million of his 9 million dollar salary to take him off our hands. With Jed Lowry waiting in the wings, I don't know how Lugo lasts very long. And the worst thing for him is that his replacement isn't in Pawtucket, he's on the major league roster due to the injuries to Lowell and Cora. So every few days, the fans get to see Lowry and that isn't going to help them accept Lugo's shortcomings, as so far he's played a passable shortstop and gotten several clutch hits.

R.I.P. John Marzano

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/200804...ly_to_game.html

and

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_updat...lphia_home.html

Don't really remember him from his playing days but he was great as an post game analyst for the Phillies the past 2 years. There were rumors last summer that if the Phils didn't make the playoffs he was going to replace Uncle Charlie as manager. Have to admire a guy who had enough money to leave his South Philly neighborhood but chose to stay and give back to the community.

I remember when Marzano was a member of the Red Sox. Solid backup catcher, one of those guys though that are always just hanging on to a major league spot.

Meantime, an interesting decision by the Blue Jays to release Frank Thomas. A team that has the pitching and doesn't have the offense giving up on a guy who had 20+ HRs and 95 RBIs last year. First they set him down and told him he'd get less playing time, he blew a fuse as he often does and declared that it was all because of the clause in his contract that makes next year's 9 million guaranteed with something like 375 plate appearances.

The thing is that the Jays were caught between the proverbial hard places and all because of that ridiculous contract they gave him. If they weren't stupid enough to overpay him for two years plus a makable option clause, they wouldn't feel like they had to let him go after fewer than 75 ABs. The lineup may not be getting the job done now but the odds were at least halfway decent that Thomas would start helping them. Now unless they make a move (Hello, Barry Bonds?) I don't see how Rod Barajas at DH helps the Jays offensive problems.

And last but not least, Al, I hope you're enjoying the help you're getting from the home plate umpire. He's calling strikes that are six inches off the plate, and then runs Manny when he barely opens his mouth. Typical asshole egotistical ump, gets up in Manny's face instead of taking his complaint like a man since he f-ed up the call. And now the Sox lineup has a hole in the middle - and what happens? Walk Ortiz to get to a 29 year old rookie. First pitch ground ball. Jesus Christ.

R.I.P. John Marzano

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/200804...ly_to_game.html

and

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_updat...lphia_home.html

Don't really remember him from his playing days but he was great as an post game analyst for the Phillies the past 2 years. There were rumors last summer that if the Phils didn't make the playoffs he was going to replace Uncle Charlie as manager. Have to admire a guy who had enough money to leave his South Philly neighborhood but chose to stay and give back to the community.

Thanks for the links...very sad...

I remember Marzano played with the Sox briefly ....sad news. Geez he is only a year younger than me .

BIG comeback victory today for the Back Bay Nine !!!!.....even with Manny getting tossed the Sox fight back and win the game !!!

That's four since Monday, 8 out of 13 wins overall of the "comeback" variety, and they surely padded their lead in runs scored from the seventh inning on. Forget Back Bay Nine - they're the new Cardiac Kids! :g

Did the Cubs throw the 1918 World Series??? :blink::blink::blink:

http://elismlbrumors.com/

Take your pick .......which World Series was thrown ?

This is what they say about Game 4 of 1918 WS :

Game 4 had been tied, 2-2, in the eighth inning, when Cubs pitcher Shufflin' Phil Douglas gave up a single, followed by a passed ball, followed by an errant throw on a bunt attempt that allowed the winning run to score."

This is some pretty serious information, and I wonder if anything will be made of it.

This is what happened in game 6 of the 86 WS :

The Sox took a 5-3 lead into the bottom of the tenth of game six.

Reliever Calvin Schiraldi retired the first two Mets. One out ( One STRIKE!!!!!) separated Boston from its first title in 68 years. Gary Carter and Kevin Mitchell singled. Knight brought Carter home and Mitchell went to third. Up came Mookie Wilson. Reliever Bob Stanley's wild pitch allowed Mitchell to tie the game at five-all. Wilson ended it by sending a slow roller to first, a certain out -- until Bill Buckner let it squirt through his legs. Knight raced home with the winning run.

This is some pretty serious information, and I wonder if anything will be made of it.

And last but not least, Al, I hope you're enjoying the help you're getting from the home plate umpire. He's calling strikes that are six inches off the plate, and then runs Manny when he barely opens his mouth. Typical asshole egotistical ump, gets up in Manny's face instead of taking his complaint like a man since he f-ed up the call. And now the Sox lineup has a hole in the middle - and what happens? Walk Ortiz to get to a 29 year old rookie. First pitch ground ball. Jesus Christ.

And did it help my guys at all? Y'all still won because we have a defense that couldn't beat a Little League team. It's like the guy on the radio said today: the Red Sox find ways to win, the Rangers find ways to lose.

The Rangers have had worse teams than this, but none of those teams lacked any kind of desire to win. These guys don't care, and it's because they have an owner who can't see the connection between a winning team and butts in the seats; a GM who is still a puppet for the real GM in the shadows; and a manager who tows the company line. Oh yeah, and let's not forget the legendary pitcher who is frittering away whatever goodwill he has by publicly towing the company line. Shit like this is gonna make people around here forget that Nolan Ryan was ever a decent pitcher to begin with.

My money's on a four-game sweep. It's already being a looooooooooong fucking season. :(<_<:angry:

Did the Cubs throw the 1918 World Series??? :blink::blink::blink:

http://elismlbrumors.com/

Well if its true, then I think they'll reverse the curse soon, since the cross-town rivals who undoubtedly threw a World Series ended their futility three years ago.

And will of course, be world series champs again in '08. It's what happened the last time they were in first place in April. :g

The Rangers have had worse teams than this, but none of those teams lacked any kind of desire to win. These guys don't care, and it's because they have an owner who can't see the connection between a winning team and butts in the seats; a GM who is still a puppet for the real GM in the shadows; and a manager who tows the company line. Oh yeah, and let's not forget the legendary pitcher who is frittering away whatever goodwill he has by publicly towing the company line. Shit like this is gonna make people around here forget that Nolan Ryan was ever a decent pitcher to begin with.

My money's on a four-game sweep. It's already being a looooooooooong fucking season. :(<_<:angry:

Big Al,

Do you think Wash may not be tough enough or have the right skills to be a manager? Hard to blame the manager when you don't have the pitching or position players to succeed but was wondering what the thoughts on him were in your neck of the woods.

In Oakland all the A's players loved him as a coach and I was bummed to see him get a managers job elsewhere.

Speaking of the A's, and you never know in baseball, all week the A's can't hit out of a paper bag and then go out and rough up two starters with era's under 1 and take a sweep over KC which has been a nice story this year.

Big Al,

Do you think Wash may not be tough enough or have the right skills to be a manager? Hard to blame the manager when you don't have the pitching or position players to succeed but was wondering what the thoughts on him were in your neck of the woods.

I think it's just a general malaise around the whole Rangers (dis)organization that is trickling down (or in this case cascading down) to the coaching staff and the players. Everyone that isn't in (mis)management knows that the folks running the show (Tom Hicks and his man in the shadows, John Hart) haven't got a fucking clue. How clueless is Tom Hicks? He's so fucking clueless he thinks he knows more about running a Liverpool football team than actual Liverpudlians, based on his track record of "owning successful sports franchises." No, I am not making that up. I can't write shit that fantastical. So, it's no wonder that the managers and players just show up to cash a paycheck.

I also don't think Wash has good enough managerial skills, but given what he has to deal with, I'm not even sure Joe Torre could handle this circus. At least Steinbrenner has a clue.

Hey Dan, happy sweep. No offense! ;)

Is that no OFF-ence or no o-FFENCE? :)

You have seen your team much more than I have but my sense, frankly, is that a lot of the missing desire to win would come with a bullpen that doesn't leak so much. Now how much of that is the bad bullpen and how much is a sense by the other players that "oh well, the game is in the hands of the 'pen - this is over now" I do not know.

Is that no OFF-ence or no o-FFENCE? :)

That's "once again, we have no offense!" :D

You have seen your team much more than I have but my sense, frankly, is that a lot of the missing desire to win would come with a bullpen that doesn't leak so much. Now how much of that is the bad bullpen and how much is a sense by the other players that "oh well, the game is in the hands of the 'pen - this is over now" I do not know.

Like I said before, it's the sense of a team that feels helpless in the face of management that either doesn't care or has no clue. Or both.

Anyone watch the Roberto Clemente special on Pbs tonight?

Starts in about an hour

Damn. No ... wonder if they're replay it?

There's hardly any guarantee that your local PBS station ran it at the same time as major markets did. I'd check the American Experience website. If you have broadband, there's an option to watch online, too.

Anyone watch the Roberto Clemente special on Pbs tonight?

Starts in about an hour

Damn. No ... wonder if they're replay it?

There's hardly any guarantee that your local PBS station ran it at the same time as major markets did. I'd check the American Experience website. If you have broadband, there's an option to watch online, too.

Fantastic. I'll watch it online. Thanks.