MLB 2008

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All hail John Smoltz, the 16th pitcher to record 3000 strikeouts in history. This little tidbit puts it into proper perspective.

While joining this select group of pitchers, Smoltz took a unique path. He encountered four different elbow surgeries and spent 3 1/2 seasons as one of the game's most dominant closers.

Still, only Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Nolan Ryan, Curt Schilling and Roger Clemens reached this mark while completing fewer innings than Smoltz.

Boy, you know your team is hot when your ace has to sit with a "stiff neck", you call up a AAA starter, he leaves trailing 5-1, and they come back against the team with the second best record in the league and ultimately win 7-6, on Pedroia's third double of the day.

And talk about the kids - Pedroia is 4 for 5 on the day and hitting .364, and Ellsbury led off the game with a homer, hit another in the sixth, and started the tie-breaking rally in the eighth with a perfect drag bunt. Add in a two-run blast from Youkilis, Papelbon's 8th save (which featured K's of Mathews and Vladi, he's at 14.7 strikeouts per 9 IP) and it was the kiddie show at Fenway. With youngsters like that, the future looks very bright indeed.

And the future is now. :g

Boy, you know your team sucks when one of your best pitchers gives up seven runs in three innings, and they still can't come back against the team with the second worst record in the league and ultimately lose 10-2.

And talk about the kids - no, I'd rather not.

And the future is frightening.

Wow. Phils score 4 in the 9th to beat the Astros 4-3 last night. The win improves their record to 7-7. Last year at this time it was 4-10. They still haven't been above .500 this season.

From yesterday's Inky....

They didn't get over .500 until May 26 last season, and they needed five attempts to do it. They didn't get over .500 until May 5 in 2006, either. For whatever reasons, this team starts slowly. Every year. They haven't had a winning April since 2003. That's a lot of bad baseball in Aprils since.

Well the Phils had another comback win in the 9th vs. the Rockies last night....

From the Inky

The win was a big one for the Phillies, giving them a winning record for the first time this season.

The Phillies had been 0-for-6 in their attempts to crack .500. They lost when they were 0-0, 2-2, 4-4, 6-6, 7-7, 8-8.

Freakin' finally!

OK you're the manager - do you pitch to Howard or walk him and face Burrell??? I would have pitched to Howard.

There is no managerial textbook chapter on how to handle a situation such as the one Rockies skipper Clint Hurdle faced with one out in the top of the ninth inning at Coors Field last night.

The Phillies trailed by one run with men on second and third. Phillies slugger Ryan Howard was in the batter's box, with red-hot leftfielder Pat Burrell waiting patiently in the on-deck circle.

Howard has earned a reputation as one of the National League's most dangerous hitters, but entered the at-bat only 5-for-35 this season with men on base. Furthermore, he had struck out twice in the game.

Burrell, meanwhile, entered the game among the top 10 in the NL in average (.364), RBI (19) and home runs (seven). But he had only one plate appearance this season with the bases loaded and was known as a guy who could ground into a doubleplay.

Hurdle intentionally walked Howard. Burrell fell behind in the count 0-2.

For a moment, the Rockies looked as if they might escape the jam.

Two balls later, Burrell did what he's done all season.

Hit.

The result was a bases-clearing double to left-centerfield that lifted the Phillies to an 8-6 victory and propelled them above .500 for the first time this season.

OK you're the manager - do you pitch to Howard or walk him and face Burrell??? I would have pitched to Howard.

I understand wanting to get the force at each base and Howard is a monster but by walking him your putting the winning run on base.

I say no.

Edited by WorldB3

Seriously, what in the hell is wrong with Barry Zito?

How about, he's a pitcher who has been declining steadily since 2002, his "fast"ball is somewhere between Mike Mussina and Jamie Moyer ... and you've got him for what, seven more years?

That was a horrible signing a year and a half ago, and it will get worse every year until he's gone. Pretty much everyone knew that Zito was getting worse, not better. No pitcher is worth such a long contract, but at least the Mets signed someone at the top of his game. The Giants signed a piece of garbage who has only continued to stink.

How about, he's a pitcher who has been declining steadily since 2002, his "fast"ball is somewhere between Mike Mussina and Jamie Moyer ... and you've got him for what, seven more years?

That was a horrible signing a year and a half ago, and it will get worse every year until he's gone. Pretty much everyone knew that Zito was getting worse, not better. No pitcher is worth such a long contract, but at least the Mets signed someone at the top of his game. The Giants signed a piece of garbage who has only continued to stink.

Only five more years and you're right.

$17M per year and for what?

Grrrrr :angry:

Rays touch up Halladay for 5 runs to beat Toronto, crawl to within a game of .500 and sink the Jays into the cellar. Nice!

And it wasn't as if Halladay had an off night. The Rays showed some nice patience at the plate -- good sign.

But the schedule looks a little rugged over the next month: Red Sox this weekend (you coming over Dan?), then at Orioles, at Red Sox, at Jays, Angels, Yankees, at Cardinals, at A's, then home against Orioles before hosting Texas, the only below-.500 team of the bunch (other than Jays, who shouldn't be under for long).

EDIT: Just noticed the Motor City Kitties put up 11 runs on the Rangers in the sixth inning!!! :blink:

Edited by papsrus

But the schedule looks a little rugged over the next month: Red Sox this weekend (you coming over Dan?)

I wish I could and if I'd been on top of things I would have bought tickets earlier since this is the only weekend series in Tampa, but its just as well that I am not going - Coltrane's surgery is Saturday morning, so I probably would have canceled anyway. :(

All good things must come to an end but it really sucks when the killer flu bug knocks out yet another starter (Dice-K this time) forcing Lester to start on three days rest, and they still have multiple chances to win. Now to take the series, they've got an afternoon game against the Angels best pitcher to date, Saunders, and they have to call up another rookie to pitch on short notice.

Oh wait. This is Justin Masterson making his ML debut? You mean the guy who has a ground out to fly out ration of over 4-1? The guy who struck out 10 in his last AA start, allowing no runs in five innings to lower his ERA under 1? You mean the guy who throws a Wang-like sinker anywhere from 82 to 95? The guy that his San Diego State coach, Tony Gwynn, predicts will be a star?

He may not win, but I am very interested to see this guy pitch today. :g

But the schedule looks a little rugged over the next month: Red Sox this weekend (you coming over Dan?)

I wish I could and if I'd been on top of things I would have bought tickets earlier since this is the only weekend series in Tampa, but its just as well that I am not going - Coltrane's surgery is Saturday morning, so I probably would have canceled anyway. :(

All good things must come to an end but it really sucks when the killer flu bug knocks out yet another starter (Dice-K this time) forcing Lester to start on three days rest, and they still have multiple chances to win. Now to take the series, they've got an afternoon game against the Angels best pitcher to date, Saunders, and they have to call up another rookie to pitch on short notice.

Oh wait. This is Justin Masterson making his ML debut? You mean the guy who has a ground out to fly out ration of over 4-1? The guy who struck out 10 in his last AA start, allowing no runs in five innings to lower his ERA under 1? You mean the guy who throws a Wang-like sinker anywhere from 82 to 95? The guy that his San Diego State coach, Tony Gwynn, predicts will be a star?

He may not win, but I am very interested to see this guy pitch today. :g

Hope Coltrane's surgery goes well. I'm sure it will. I'll be working through the weekend, so won't be going up either.

Are any other clubs battling the flu bug? ...

Big Al ... Yeeoish! ... That's one ugly box score from last night.

In Zito's defense I thought he was great in 2006, you have to remember that year the A's went from having the big 3 to just having Zito and they not only went to the playoffs they got out of the first round thanks to him. I always liked the guy.

Sadly for the Giants reports are his velocity has dropped to where there is no difference in speed form is change up, curve and fastball. If he can't get his velocity back he will need to be a Jamie Moyer type, soft, softer, hit the corners, bust them in with a 84 mile an hour fastball after a diet of 60 mph soft stuff. The thing is those types are guys at the back in of your rotation who are into their late 30's not your young Ace.

All hail John Smoltz, the 16th pitcher to record 3000 strikeouts in history. This little tidbit puts it into proper perspective.

While joining this select group of pitchers, Smoltz took a unique path. He encountered four different elbow surgeries and spent 3 1/2 seasons as one of the game's most dominant closers.

Still, only Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Nolan Ryan, Curt Schilling and Roger Clemens reached this mark while completing fewer innings than Smoltz.

Thanks for mentioning it Dan! ESPN's web site clearly thought it no big deal at all...not their top story that night(Hockey playoffs I believe) and not even the top story on their baseball page! :angry: They were still puffing their chests out on their gotcha story on Tejada(Anyone else think it was fairly sorry "Journalism?")

27 players have 3000 hits, only 16 players have 3000 strikeouts.

Braves are 5-2 in their last 7 games, but the two losses over the past two nights...the team looked as bad as the Rangers! Well, almost as bad ;) (Sorry Al!)

Losing your 2 best relievers really puts a team in a bind....That combined with Bobby Cox's insanity(He put Jeff Bennett in the starting rotation on the 18th, so naturally he had him come in a game on the 16th, none of the other 7 guys could have pitched that day! :crazy: ) Makes one wonder what this season will bring...

Thanks for mentioning it Dan! ESPN's web site clearly thought it no big deal at all...not their top story that night(Hockey playoffs I believe) and not even the top story on their baseball page! :angry: They were still puffing their chests out on their gotcha story on Tejada(Anyone else think it was fairly sorry "Journalism?")

I didn't watch Tejada piece. The endless promos were enough to turn me off. "The shocking details ... " etc. ... spare me.

All props to Smoltz. He seems like one of the genuinely good guys.

The only team worse than the Rangers is the Washington Nationals. That irony is not lost on me one bit.

And so goes yet another wonderful baseball season here in Loserville, TX.

But Al - I just read that Baseball America says Texas has the fourth best farm system in baseball. If they are big sellers in June, they should have an even better group of prospects in hand - and that usually means that better times are near.

The only team worse than the Rangers is the Washington Nationals. That irony is not lost on me one bit.

And so goes yet another wonderful baseball season here in Loserville, TX.

But Al - I just read that Baseball America says Texas has the fourth best farm system in baseball. If they are big sellers in June, they should have an even better group of prospects in hand - and that usually means that better times are near.

Well, you know what you usually find out on the farm...... :w

Actually, since Nolan Ryan's an old cowboy himself, maybe he'll know how to whip the youngsters into shape. This will only happen if he stands up to Hicks and tells Hicks that Ryan himself should be in charge of the farm system.

One can only hope.

In Zito's defense I thought he was great in 2006, you have to remember that year the A's went from having the big 3 to just having Zito and they not only went to the playoffs they got out of the first round thanks to him. I always liked the guy.

Sadly for the Giants reports are his velocity has dropped to where there is no difference in speed form is change up, curve and fastball. If he can't get his velocity back he will need to be a Jamie Moyer type, soft, softer, hit the corners, bust them in with a 84 mile an hour fastball after a diet of 60 mph soft stuff. The thing is those types are guys at the back in of your rotation who are into their late 30's not your young Ace.

My theory is either the hitting isn't as good in the AL West as it is in the NL West or Zito is a head case.

What a tragedy on two legs this guy is.

Edited by GoodSpeak

My theoroy is either the hitting isn't as good in the AL West as it is in the NL West or Zito is a head case.

What a tragedy on two legs this guy is.

You have got to be kidding me. The NL West has been an offensive wasteland for years, not least because Petco, Dodger Stadium and Pac Bell all are strong pitcher's parks, and the humidor in the Rockies has brought that stadium back to earth, too.

Zito is no head case and the AL West, with DH's and smaller parks, for Christ sake, is not weak offensively.

Zito has been declining since his Cy Young season, and everyone knew that except your GM. Why do you think it so long to get him signed? You had no competition but you couldn't stand up to Scott Boras and he snow jobbed you into a record breaking contract for a league average pitcher.

Dan, what did you think of Mastersons debut ?...pretty impressive . He reminds me of a Derek Lowe type

BUT with more movement on his pitches.

They keep talking about whether he is a reliever or starter ...but judging by yesterday he is a starter!

They did say he will be called up late in the year to work out of the bullpen.