BFT #56 Discussion Disc 1

BERIGAN

This is turning out to be more of a guessing game than I expected. Sheesh. My ears certainly aren't very attuned to these eras anymore. Okay, another shot: Jabbo Smith?

nope, he might be on one of the 2 cds though.... :w

speaking of jabbo, i think i know what track he plays on. i listened to the discs a bunch more this weekend.

are you going to make a new thread for disc 2, or are we going to put it all here? i'm itching to have some guesses confirmed. :o)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is turning out to be more of a guessing game than I expected. Sheesh. My ears certainly aren't very attuned to these eras anymore. Okay, another shot: Jabbo Smith?

nope, he might be on one of the 2 cds though.... :w

speaking of jabbo, i think i know what track he plays on. i listened to the discs a bunch more this weekend.

are you going to make a new thread for disc 2, or are we going to put it all here? i'm itching to have some guesses confirmed. :o)

They will go on another thread, it's getting pretty confusing here, as it is...Don't know when...I don't see a FAQ dealing with 2 disc sets, but there needs to be some time between the discussion of disc one, and the discussion of disc 2...most people (I assume) haven't had a chance to listen to disc one yet....If you are losing sleep over a track, I could always PM you an answer. ^_^

nah, not losing sleep yet. well, not much. o.k., quite a bit, but it makes a man strong.

the faq doesn't address it, but past 2-disc discussion threads seem to have been created at the same time as the disc 1 threads (see bft 48 and bft 54). it is, after all, easy to not read the thread for disc 2 if you haven't listened to it yet. it's harder when fools like me start accidentally posting their comments on disc 2 in the one and only thread. so i'm lobbying for a creation of a disc 2 thread.

i had another thought for track 8 of disc 1: could the soprano be buster bailey? still don't know who the band is, unfortunately. doesn't sound like oliver or sissle to me. could be one of the clarence williams recordings.

SPLASH.........gurgle

(Sound of man out of his depth) :blush:

I've listened to disc 1 and have less than nothing! It's a real ear-opener, listening to all this - I think the oldest record in my collection is from 1947!

The one thought I had was that track 5 puts me in mind of Monk's "Genius of Modern Music" records.

(Sets disc to repeat)

Edited by rdavenport

Will get to more specific comments later, but just wanted to drop in and say how much I'm enjoying thee discs. Not really my "era" of jazz - so my comments will probably be dumb - but together this is one entertaining compilation!

Will correct numbers of tracks, and will just comment on one's you made a guess on, or really liked...

Track 5(Disc one) – I like this a lot. But for the sound, this could be from any era. It’s a simple line, but it has a strong feel to it. No idea who this is, but I would buy this. I love this bone player – no flash, just balls. Wish the sound was cleaner because I like what the drummer’s doing, but it winds up sounding muddled. Not sure about the tenor, other than to say he’s a bad man. Natural tendency is to guess Hawk. Don’t know for sure and don’t care – me likey!!!!! I actually hear a lot of David Murray in this guy, and that makes my solider salute. 7:05 – this MFer is knocking me out! Every modern player should have to listen to this and understand it. This is it! Unconscious!

Ahh, like I said before, even if someone only likes one track, I'm glad they liked one track! :D Thanks for making me feel I didn't waste everyone's time putting this long one on the BFT! As mentioned before, it's Bill Harris on Trombone. Oh, also a live recording, which explains the muddyness(I know it's a live track, but wonder if it just sounds like poorly dubbed vinyl to others who don't know this fact?)

Track 6 – I’ve heard this before, but I can’t place it. Nice way to cool down after the previous cut.

Interesting you say this! I've never heard another version of this song(That I can remember)

Track 7 – Hey! Finally a tune I know. :D I have a soft spot for this since hearing Lester Young’s vocal version. LOL No idea who the tenor is. Piano could be Fatha, but doesn’t sound loose enough.

Not Fatha

Track 9 – See, now this is bouncy, but more interesting. Seems like it’s going somewhere where the last one just didn’t. The band parts work, but the improvs sort of leave me cold.

Hey, it's really old! :) Hoover was President!

Hoping and praying I have the correct track order! :P

I’m determined to finish these today! :D Actually, I’m putting off doing the bills. Anyway, the music…

Track 11 – Now this is nice. I like the way the arrangement just steps along behind the lead. It’s a simple line, but it doesn’t need to be anything more – it does its job. Again, I don’t know who this is, but I would buy this. Man… wouldn’t want to be the guy sitting across from that trumpet player. LOL

I played with a band that had a trumpet player that would do that – we sat in a semi-circle… there was another trumpeter across from him, guy was really into Art Farmer and those type of players. I thought he was going to toss his horn at the brassy guy one night. :D Good times…

I think folks will be very surprised when they find out who this is! (Those that care, that is!) Sounds like good times!

Track 12 – I like this one a lot, I kind of wanted them to stay with the opening feel, though. Again, really like the bone player.

I know what you mean, I love the way it opens, wish they had stayed with it longer. Very different than anything else this group did. Oh, and you will know the trombonist, at least by name.

Track 15 – This sounds like early Ellington to me, but I’m probably wrong. Something about the alto has me thinking Hodges. If I’m right about that, tenor could be Webster, but this is just a collection of shots in the dark.

Not Ellington. Nor the other two.

Track 16 – I like this. Again, the band seems to be supporting the lead – I hear a purpose. No idea who it is, though.

Don't feel bad, no one else will either! :g

Track 17 – Nice sax arrangement. Odd, but the time seems to drag around 3:40… like the band starts to drag a bit.

Interesting you say that....could be they just weren't used to recording tracks this long, or the arranger wasn't yet good enough for this long a song...

Track 46 – (46!?!?!??!?!) No, track 20!!! ;) Makes me think of an old movie with all the characters going out for dinner at the Copa Cabana. I’m just waiting for Ava Gardner to do something mean to someone. ☺ I like it, though.

Or a little like the music at the end of the Bogart Film, Dark Passage. Everyone hears something different....I predict no one will guess this one either(Heck, if someone dug out a cd with this on it, I'd only know one player's name from memory)

Berigan, thanks for a BFT that pushed my limits and kicked my ass. I’m going to go do my bills and cry, now.

Thanks for listening! I will be saying the same thing, about the next BFT!

Edited by BERIGAN

Track 17 – Nice sax arrangement. Odd, but the time seems to drag around 3:40… like the band starts to drag a bit.

Interesting you say that....could be they just weren't used to recording tracks this long, or the arranger wasn't yet good enough for this long a song...

Just to clarify, it almost sounded as if the media itself slowed, not so much the playing.

SPLASH.........gurgle

I've listened to disc 1 and have less than nothing! It's a real ear-opener, listening to all this - I think the oldest record in my collection is from 1947!

The one thought I had was that track 5 puts me in mind of Monk's "Genius of Modern Music" records.

(Sets disc to repeat)

Well, at least you gave it a try, and were not made ill from listening to it! ^_^ I'll have to remember use the first 2 lines of your post for future BFT's!

Will get to more specific comments later, but just wanted to drop in and say how much I'm enjoying thee discs. Not really my "era" of jazz - so my comments will probably be dumb - but together this is one entertaining compilation!

Glad you liked them! :) I won't laugh at any dumb comments, well I won't type that I am laughing! ^_^

So, anyone else gonna comment???? :mellow:

SPLASH.........gurgle

(Sets disc to repeat)

Well, at least you gave it a try, and were not made ill from listening to it! ^_^ I'll have to remember use the first 2 lines of your post for future BFT's!

On the contrary, I liked some of it (only listened to disc 1 so far) - track 5 I enjoyed, as well as tracks 1 (especially) and 6. I thought track 13 sounded like it may fit in a Quentin Tarantino soundtrack. The "Tea For Two" reminds me of the theme tune from "Pot Black", a snooker programme of yesteryear. That isn't exactly a compliment BTW.

Well, here we go. As usual, no reference books or web sources were consulted. I'll let my comments stand as is.

1. A nice slice of swing to kick off this fine BFT. My first thought for the vibist was Adrian Rollini, although Rollini usually worked in a trio format. The violin has a bit of a “gypsy” quality, so I thought of Eddie South. No idea on the others.

2. Rex Stewart! Knew it from the first note. I can also hear Harry Carney & Lawrence Brown in there, so this has to be one of the many Ellington spin-off groups. A lovely side.

3. I was enjoying the fine ensemble work with no idea who this was until the alto came in – Jimmy Dorsey! Presumably that’s him on clarinet at the beginning. Although Dorsey’s band was known for the many vocal hits they made, they could kick ass with the best of them, as this fine side demonstrates.

4. A strong Basie feeling here – I think this might be an early Harry James track. James always took cues from Basie throughout his career, and the trumpet could be him.

5. I recognized Bill Harris right away. At first I figured this was a Woody Herman contingent with Flip Phillips, but once the track got beyond 78 length, I figured it out. This is a live track from an old Phoenix(?) LP “A Knight In the Village”, with Charlie Ventura on tenor and Lennie Tristano on piano.

6. The tune is “Anything”. I believe this is the Original Memphis Five, with Tommy Dorsey, Phil Napoleon, Eddie Lang, and Jimmy Dorsey doing his very best Jimmie Noone. Tommy later recorded this with Sinatra in the early 40’s.

7. A fine pianist with a debt to Fats Waller. Might this be Bob Zurke? That’s wild guess, but I’ll stick with it for now.

8. Here’s a swing version of the New Orleans warhorse “Panama”. I think this might be the Luis Russell band around 1934, after some of the key players had left. Sounds like J. C. Higginbotham and Charlie Holmes were still on board!

9. Here’s a swing version of a tune Fletcher Henderson first recorded with Louis Armstrong in the band in the mid 1920’s – “Shanghai Shuffle”. Not sure if this is Henderson c. 1934, but if it is, that’d be Ben Webster on tenor, still under the spell of Hawkins. My memory tell me that Buster Bailey was in the band at the time, but this doesn’t sound like him. Red Allen on trumpet. Can’t get enough of this!

10. This has to be the Casa Loma Orchestra! The tune reminds me of “Heebie Jeebies”. Billy Rauch trombone, Pat Davis tenor. Clarence Hutchenrider clarinet. Fantastic ensemble work, even if the arrangement is a little ornate. This band must have been great live.

11. I can’t place this – there’s a bit of a Sy Oliver feel here, although I don’t think this is the Lunceford band. I could be wrong. The open trumpet is strong. Might this be Erskine Hawkins?

12. My first thought was Raymond Scott, but I think this might be a little too jazzy for him. Good trumpet player! Good solos all around.

13. There are a few names that come to mind for this trio rendition of Schubert’s “Serenade”. The guitar is a little ripe, sounds like he might be more comfortable playing Hawaiian music! Jazzing up the classics was all the rage in the late 30’s & early 40’s, so this could be any number of pianists. Herman Chittison, maybe, or possibly Erskine Butterfield?

14. One of my all time favorites – “Swing Out”, by Henry “Red” Allen. I first heard this many years ago when I was in high school - this track was on one of those “RCA History of Jazz” LP’s, and all these years later it’s still one of my desert island tracks. Of course, this is actually the great Luis Russell band recording under Allen’s name for Victor in 1929. I’ve always loved the way J. C. Higginbotham comes swooping in on trombone, and all of the soloists (and the stomping rhythm section) are great – Teddy Hill, Charlie Holmes, Albert Nicholas, and Red Allen. Five stars – no, ten stars!

15. I think this is Roy Eldridge, circa 1937. His brother Joe Eldridge on alto – a fine player sounding a little like Russell Procope. Roy is one of my all time favorite musicians – tremendous drive and excitement!!

16. At the beginning this borrows from Louis’s “Yes I’m In the Barrel”. I think it’s Benny Goodman circa 1933. Might this be “Tappin’ the Barrel”? The arrangement is the star here, although Benny and the trumpet (Charlie Teagarden?) have a couple of nice spots.

17. Here’s Benny again, a few years later, with the fabulous Eddie Sauter composition “Benny Rides Again”. Such gorgeous writing, great ensemble work, and BG at his finest. Is that Nick Fatool on drums? It don’t get no better than this. :tup

18. I think this might be Benny Carter circa 1933. Some imaginative changes, and lovely writing, especially for the saxes. I won’t hazard a guess as to the soloists, although they are all good.

19. A Hawaiian vocal group with trumpet – very nice! I’m clueless on this, although I like it.

20. A noble attempt, but it seems a little busy and never settles into a groove. Nevertheless, an interesting finale to a very fine BFT.

Thoroughly enjoyed the classic music – thanks, Berigan!

Guest Bill Barton

disc 1 was SMOKIN!!! thanks berigan for the hard work!

i only recognized tea for two, but enjoyed the entire disc.

my favorite tracks were 1, 4, 5 and 10.

i also enjoyed bill bartons guesses!

on to disc 2!

:excited:

:D My guesses, by the looks of things so far, were - ahem - a bit far off the mark. I'm still puzzling over who the guitarist may be on track #1. I listened to this a couple more times and am liking it more and more. It's not Django but it should be ;)

Well, here we go. As usual, no reference books or web sources were consulted. I'll let my comments stand as is.

Holy Smokes!!! :blink: A ringer! What, you use some fancy schmancy technology to see the answers on my computer???? :unsure: You did better than I would if I had to name everyone I put on this disc. :angry:

1. A nice slice of swing to kick off this fine BFT. My first thought for the vibist was Adrian Rollini, although Rollini usually worked in a trio format. The violin has a bit of a “gypsy” quality, so I thought of Eddie South. No idea on the others.

Not Eddie South, but does sound like him.

2. Rex Stewart! Knew it from the first note. I can also hear Harry Carney & Lawrence Brown in there, so this has to be one of the many Ellington spin-off groups. A lovely side.

Right on the money!! Just blew my mind when I first heard it....

3. I was enjoying the fine ensemble work with no idea who this was until the alto came in – Jimmy Dorsey! Presumably that’s him on clarinet at the beginning. Although Dorsey’s band was known for the many vocal hits they made, they could kick ass with the best of them, as this fine side demonstrates.

Ahh, a wise man you are, to know Jimmy Dorsey's alto! I don't think anyone else soloed on Clarinet in his band(Though you never know) It's a crying shame more of this band's work isn't out on CD, and many of the cds are, are heavy on the vocals....And they could kick ass with the best of them!

4. A strong Basie feeling here – I think this might be an early Harry James track. James always took cues from Basie throughout his career, and the trumpet could be him.

Yep, that's James! I fear so many have heard his sickly sweet sound, they will never delve into his pre and post war bands.

5. I recognized Bill Harris right away. At first I figured this was a Woody Herman contingent with Flip Phillips, but once the track got beyond 78 length, I figured it out. This is a live track from an old Phoenix(?) LP “A Knight In the Village”, with Charlie Ventura on tenor and Lennie Tristano on piano.

Well, you are 2/3rds right. It's Harris, and Ventura, but not Tristano!

Man, I'd like to hear those live tracks!

6. The tune is “Anything”. I believe this is the Original Memphis Five, with Tommy Dorsey, Phil Napoleon, Eddie Lang, and Jimmy Dorsey doing his very best Jimmie Noone. Tommy later recorded this with Sinatra in the early 40’s.

Wow. Yep! Never heard the later version! You didn't guess the Pianist, or Drummer though! :P

7. A fine pianist with a debt to Fats Waller. Might this be Bob Zurke? That’s wild guess, but I’ll stick with it for now.

Holy Crap!!! This requires an emoticon we don't have!!! eek2.gif

If there was one track I figured was safe it was this one!(Well, or track 19) Pat yourself on the back, and give yourself 2 gold stars! :)

8. Here’s a swing version of the New Orleans warhorse “Panama”. I think this might be the Luis Russell band around 1934, after some of the key players had left. Sounds like J. C. Higginbotham and Charlie Holmes were still on board!

Right again! Well, right about most things...Higginbotham, and Holmes are still on board, since its from 1930!

9. Here’s a swing version of a tune Fletcher Henderson first recorded with Louis Armstrong in the band in the mid 1920’s – “Shanghai Shuffle”. Not sure if this is Henderson c. 1934, but if it is, that’d be Ben Webster on tenor, still under the spell of Hawkins. My memory tell me that Buster Bailey was in the band at the time, but this doesn’t sound like him. Red Allen on trumpet. Can’t get enough of this!

Ha! You missed one! :excited: Wrong on all counts! Well, it is a Fletcher Henderson tune....

10. This has to be the Casa Loma Orchestra! The tune reminds me of “Heebie Jeebies”. Billy Rauch trombone, Pat Davis tenor. Clarence Hutchenrider clarinet. Fantastic ensemble work, even if the arrangement is a little ornate. This band must have been great live.

Man, you're killing me! You not only know the band, but knowing Pat Davis on Tenor??? If you ever have a sex change operation, and its a good one, let me know! :cool: Thisappears to be a year before Clarence Hutchenrider joined the band...but, now looking at my notes, I don't have a clarinet player listed! Will check some more!

11. I can’t place this – there’s a bit of a Sy Oliver feel here, although I don’t think this is the Lunceford band. I could be wrong. The open trumpet is strong. Might this be Erskine Hawkins?

Not Sy or Lunceford. Oh man, I want to spill the beans, but...I shall wait....

12. My first thought was Raymond Scott, but I think this might be a little too jazzy for him. Good trumpet player! Good solos all around

Well, it's a Raymond Scott song, if nothing else. I dearly love the drumming on this tune....again, it's a name band folks will know

13. There are a few names that come to mind for this trio rendition of Schubert’s “Serenade”. The guitar is a little ripe, sounds like he might be more comfortable playing Hawaiian music! Jazzing up the classics was all the rage in the late 30’s & early 40’s, so this could be any number of pianists. Herman Chittison, maybe, or possibly Erskine Butterfield?

Right on the first name!!!

14. One of my all time favorites – “Swing Out”, by Henry “Red” Allen. I first heard this many years ago when I was in high school - this track was on one of those “RCA History of Jazz” LP’s, and all these years later it’s still one of my desert island tracks. Of course, this is actually the great Luis Russell band recording under Allen’s name for Victor in 1929. I’ve always loved the way J. C. Higginbotham comes swooping in on trombone, and all of the soloists (and the stomping rhythm section) are great – Teddy Hill, Charlie Holmes, Albert Nicholas, and Red Allen. Five stars – no, ten stars!

Right of course! I think I first heard this on an anthology cd, but can't remember which one. Well, have it on a cd of his now. Agree with everything else you said as well...a song that grabs you from the first second. And to think, it was recorded before the depression started!!!!

15. I think this is Roy Eldridge, circa 1937. His brother Joe Eldridge on alto – a fine player sounding a little like Russell Procope. Roy is one of my all time favorite musicians – tremendous drive and excitement!!

Right on both of them! I sure wouldn't be able to pick out Joe on Alto!!!!

I don't like that sometimes when Eldridge is mentioned, people focus on him challenging anyone and everyone to contests...almost like, aww, ain't that cute, the little guy(Then the little old guy) wants to show off! <_< To paraphrase what Jimmy Stewart said about Katherine Hepburn's character in Philadelphia Story, he was lit from within!

16. At the beginning this borrows from Louis’s “Yes I’m In the Barrel”. I think it’s Benny Goodman circa 1933. Might this be “Tappin’ the Barrel”? The arrangement is the star here, although Benny and the trumpet (Charlie Teagarden?) have a couple of nice spots.

Not Goodman, but he played with this group before. Nor is Teagarden here.

17. Here’s Benny again, a few years later, with the fabulous Eddie Sauter composition “Benny Rides Again”. Such gorgeous writing, great ensemble work, and BG at his finest. Is that Nick Fatool on drums? It don’t get no better than this. :tup

Right all every count except the Drummer(A guy who I don't know by name)

18. I think this might be Benny Carter circa 1933. Some imaginative changes, and lovely writing, especially for the saxes. I won’t hazard a guess as to the soloists, although they are all good.

This one's a very tough one. A smaller name band, but with some pretty big names in the band....3 years later than your guess.

19. A Hawaiian vocal group with trumpet – very nice! I’m clueless on this, although I like it.

Another reason why I am so glad I bought some compilation discs that are now long gone...You sure can't say it sounds like much of anything else out there! A great, underrated trumpet man who will likely never get his proper reevaluation, unless Jazz Oracle does a Purvis sized set on him ...

20. A noble attempt, but it seems a little busy and never settles into a groove. Nevertheless, an interesting finale to a very fine BFT.

Well, I guess it's one no one is going to warm up to, but that's alright. Something about it just seems somewhat sad, and interesting to my ears. And unlike someone here, I liked the drummer! :bwallace: I'd love to have seen Artie Shaw mess around with the tune. A no name band with some names in it.

Thoroughly enjoyed the classic music – thanks, Berigan!

Hey, thanks for listening! And pat yourself on the back. I was sorry Brownie had retired from the board, since I thought he was the most likely guy(or Lon) to do really well, but I doubt they could do any better! I thought there were only Bluenote 1955-65 folks here, but I guess there are a few weirdoes here who know the ancient stuff as well! :rhappy:

Edited by BERIGAN

Here goes. Written without looking at the previous guesses, so kindly pardon any horses that are already beaten to death. Sorry I'm so slow. Been away from home most of the last two weeks.

1. Someone grabbed onto the sound of the Goodman Sextet with Charlie Christian and Hamp and made an earnest attempt to keep it going. Nice twists in the chord changes. The guitarist sounds more interested in Django than Christian. I’m going to guess it’s European. And maybe an electrified violin?

2. Wrote just two words on my notepad while listening to this: “Rex – Menelik”. Very nice-sounding transfer.

3. Beginning sounds kinda like Raymond Scott. Then again, the blowing suggests it isn’t. Especially enjoyed the alto solo. Novel use of the bass clarinet. No further idea what it is, but I like.

4. A decent boogie-woogie circa 1941. Trumpeter reads from the Cootie Williams book but doesn’t have anything new to say about it. Maybe Harry James?

5. I love this chromatically restless swing-to-bop stuff. Interesting piano. A truly great trombone solo; Bill Harris? Followed by Charlie Ventura? Circa 1945.

6. Then we jump back to about 1933. Lovely. Teagarden? Nice guitar work throughout. Hard to tell on the computer speakers -- is that tuba or bowed bass? The violin spot is a letdown. Still a darned good record overall.

7. Doesn’t do much for me, but then Tea for Two hardly ever does unless it’s Tatum. Frou-frou piano. But the tenor puts some muscle into it. A not-so-simple arrangement, well played. Do I detect the Lunceford band here?

8. But this does quite a bit for me. A great big band from circa 1931, maybe Mills Blue Rhythm Band or Don Redman? Maybe the Calloway band with the leader out of earshot? Luis Russell? The bass and drums are captured beautifully by some forgotten recording engineer who knew what he was doing. The whole thing swings like a mofo at a time when swing was really new. Strong solos all around – the altoist is a star. Consider my world rocked by this one. Is the tune “Milenburg Joys”?

9. I recognize “Shanghai Shuffle” from a ‘20s Fletcher Henderson record. But this is later. The arrangement seems to match the version Fletcher recorded in 1934 for Decca. But this is 45 seconds longer. A Fletcher broadcast?

10. The frantic place continues. Sounds like we’ve stepped back to about 1936. The ensemble brilliance suggests Lunceford again. If I keep saying that I’ll be right one of these times, won’t I?

11. Oh, shoot, I’ve heard this. Same changes as Basie’s “Easy Does It”; which came first? Maybe this is Erskine Hawkins, with nice muted Dud Bascomb for contrast?

12. I thought Andy Kirk for the first minute, but then the pianist relinquishes control and the boogie-woogie turns kinda clunky. That long clarinet bridge is a trip. The track doesn’t quite click, but it’s another interesting example of swing outgrowing the old clothes.

13. Sounds like the real Tatum, for a sec, then sounds like a wannabe. The guitar solo has an uneasy combination of Hawaiian and Django elements. Afterward, the pianist sounds more Teddy Wilson-esque. A hybrid all around. Please tell me it isn’t the King Cole Trio.

14. Circa 1930. Decent solos all around, but the trombonist steals the show, and nobody tries particularly hard to steal it back.

15. Roy! Title cut here. The alto ain’t bad either. Love the slightly awkward tenor spot – it could pass for a Ben Webster spot on one of those 1932 Moten records.

16. Fascinating variegated performance. An arranger’s tour de force. And then the trumpet coda! Don’t know what it is, but I like.

17. Cootie plays Topsy? Naw, it can’t be him. Clarinet must be Artie Shaw, because it’s too suave for BG. Then a new theme! This is off the hook. Really beautiful.

18. Back a few years, circa ‘31. Riffs are borrowed from “Chant of the Weed,” as is some of the attitude in the alto solo. Mills or Calloway?

19. Spirits of Rhythm? The pseudo-Hawaiian lyrics are a hoot, and the Hawaiian guitar is downright pretty. Amazing control in the trumpet throughout (Zat chew, Charlie Shavers?).

20. The Latin tinge, but in this performance it’s more like a Latin stain that the band wants removed from its uniforms. They don’t sound too interested. The only track so far that doesn’t make me happy.

Hey, thanks for listening! And pat yourself on the back. I was sorry Brownie had retired from the board, since I thought he was the most likely guy(or Lon) to do really well, but I doubt they could do any better! I thought there were only Bluenote 1955-65 folks here, but I guess there are a few weirdoes here who know the ancient stuff as well! :rhappy:

more pats on the back from me, WOW! this was scary!

Here goes. Written without looking at the previous guesses, so kindly pardon any horses that are already beaten to death. Sorry I'm so slow. Been away from home most of the last two weeks.

1. Someone grabbed onto the sound of the Goodman Sextet with Charlie Christian and Hamp and made an earnest attempt to keep it going. Nice twists in the chord changes. The guitarist sounds more interested in Django than Christian. I’m going to guess it’s European. And maybe an electrified violin?

Not European. You are right, the guy does sound more interested in Django! And right again about electric Violin.

2. Wrote just two words on my notepad while listening to this: “Rex – Menelik”. Very nice-sounding transfer.

Yep!

3. Beginning sounds kinda like Raymond Scott. Then again, the blowing suggests it isn’t. Especially enjoyed the alto solo. Novel use of the bass clarinet. No further idea what it is, but I like.

Is that bass clarinet??? Not questioning you, just haven't heard much. I do have a track on disc two where I know bass clarinet was used, but it's played so much softer, hard to compare.

4. A decent boogie-woogie circa 1941. Trumpeter reads from the Cootie Williams book but doesn’t have anything new to say about it. Maybe Harry James?

Maybe! ;)

5. I love this chromatically restless swing-to-bop stuff. Interesting piano. A truly great trombone solo; Bill Harris? Followed by Charlie Ventura? Circa 1945.

As a mainly Swing and pre swing guy, I still like the as you put it, "chromatically restless" swing to bop stuff as well. Right on both players! Close, 2 years later for these recordings.

6. Then we jump back to about 1933. Lovely. Teagarden? Nice guitar work throughout. Hard to tell on the computer speakers -- is that tuba or bowed bass? The violin spot is a letdown. Still a darned good record overall.

A bit earlier, 1929. Not Teagarden. The guy played both Tuba and Bass, but this appears to be bass(On my old computer speakers! ^_^ ) This is off an old cd, pre CEDAR. Wish I could have found the slightly better quality version, but I was pressed for time.

7. Doesn’t do much for me, but then Tea for Two hardly ever does unless it’s Tatum. Frou-frou piano. But the tenor puts some muscle into it. A not-so-simple arrangement, well played. Do I detect the Lunceford band here?

Well, reactions all over the place on this one, which is cool. Not Lunceford.

8. But this does quite a bit for me. A great big band from circa 1931, maybe Mills Blue Rhythm Band or Don Redman? Maybe the Calloway band with the leader out of earshot? Luis Russell? The bass and drums are captured beautifully by some forgotten recording engineer who knew what he was doing. The whole thing swings like a mofo at a time when swing was really new. Strong solos all around – the altoist is a star. Consider my world rocked by this one. Is the tune “Milenburg Joys”?

It's Luis Russell's band, good guess! It's a shame in a way his band just became the back-up band for Louis...though I am sure he made a good living. I first heard this on a very crappy (sound wise) box set...JSP did a wonderful job of getting the audio out of the track that was put in it originally!

9. I recognize “Shanghai Shuffle” from a ‘20s Fletcher Henderson record. But this is later. The arrangement seems to match the version Fletcher recorded in 1934 for Decca. But this is 45 seconds longer. A Fletcher broadcast?

Yep, Shanghai Shuffle, but not Fletcher. Might be his arrangement though. Not a broadcast, but from a transcription, hence the added length.

10. The frantic place continues. Sounds like we’ve stepped back to about 1936. The ensemble brilliance suggests Lunceford again. If I keep saying that I’ll be right one of these times, won’t I?

It's earlier, 1930 in fact! You can keep guessing Lunceford, but you are going to keep being wrong! :) Some people griped about the well oiled machine sound of this group, but I must like it, since I have 11 cds from them! (In fact, I think Stereojack guessed it, but if I keep going back and forth to what has, and hasn't been answered, I'll never get done! Other people may be smart enough to do it, by I ain't other people! ;) )

11. Oh, shoot, I’ve heard this. Same changes as Basie’s “Easy Does It”; which came first? Maybe this is Erskine Hawkins, with nice muted Dud Bascomb for contrast?

Good guesses, but no. Does my heart good that no one has guessed this one.

12. I thought Andy Kirk for the first minute, but then the pianist relinquishes control and the boogie-woogie turns kinda clunky. That long clarinet bridge is a trip. The track doesn’t quite click, but it’s another interesting example of swing outgrowing the old clothes.

Not Kirk, as it sounds like you already surmised.

13. Sounds like the real Tatum, for a sec, then sounds like a wannabe. The guitar solo has an uneasy combination of Hawaiian and Django elements. Afterward, the pianist sounds more Teddy Wilson-esque. A hybrid all around. Please tell me it isn’t the King Cole Trio.

It's Nat King Cole! :excited: Kidding! You are not the first to complain about the guitarist.

14. Circa 1930. Decent solos all around, but the trombonist steals the show, and nobody tries particularly hard to steal it back.

I know Stereojack got this one. You are off just one year, so not bad at all!

15. Roy! Title cut here. The alto ain’t bad either. Love the slightly awkward tenor spot – it could pass for a Ben Webster spot on one of those 1932 Moten records.

Right! As you probably have already read above, the Alto is Roy's bro. Not Webster, if you had any doubts.

16. Fascinating variegated performance. An arranger’s tour de force. And then the trumpet coda! Don’t know what it is, but I like.

A rare track...when chosing tracks for this, I thought, ohh, this is interesting, let me add it...then, next time I played it, I wondered if I should have put something else on instead. Glad folks have liked it! You are right about being an arranger's tour de force

17. Cootie plays Topsy? Naw, it can’t be him. Clarinet must be Artie Shaw, because it’s too suave for BG. Then a new theme! This is off the hook. Really beautiful.

Are you sure that it can't be Cootie??? :w BG somewheres, giving you the rasberry right now! :g

18. Back a few years, circa ‘31. Riffs are borrowed from “Chant of the Weed,” as is some of the attitude in the alto solo. Mills or Calloway?

Sounds older than 1936, doesn't it??? And Chant of the Weedish, to be sure. Not Mills or Calloway, but some guys I think did at least play for Mills....

19. Spirits of Rhythm? The pseudo-Hawaiian lyrics are a hoot, and the Hawaiian guitar is downright pretty. Amazing control in the trumpet throughout (Zat chew, Charlie Shavers?).

Not Spirits of Rhythm, but a good guess, nonetheless. Zat ain't Shavers!

20. The Latin tinge, but in this performance it’s more like a Latin stain that the band wants removed from its uniforms. They don’t sound too interested. The only track so far that doesn’t make me happy.

Well, the one track I guess I should have left off. Amazing how everyone else is wrong, and I am right about it! :D Spontooneous, some very educated guesses!!!!

disc 1 was SMOKIN!!! thanks berigan for the hard work!

i only recognized tea for two, but enjoyed the entire disc.

my favorite tracks were 1, 4, 5 and 10.

i also enjoyed bill bartons guesses!

on to disc 2!

:excited:

:D My guesses, by the looks of things so far, were - ahem - a bit far off the mark. I'm still puzzling over who the guitarist may be on track #1. I listened to this a couple more times and am liking it more and more. It's not Django but it should be ;)

To not go overboard with posts from me...killing two with one.

Glad you liked the disc Evan! :)

Bill, you are right, it should be Django! :D

I love big bands and music from this era, but I can't identify any except one that I know for sure and another I've heard but am kicking myself for not being able to identify:

Track 1 sounds like Lionel Hampton with Charlie Christian from the BG days

Track 8 is, I believe, Earl Hines & His Orchestra doing "Tea for Two." I've got this on one of those Readers Digest 6-LP sets called The Swing Years, with the big orange cover and the picture of Glenn Miller on the cover. Once I was able to transfer LPs to CDs, this was one of the first to be converted, and I fell in love with this song all over again! Anyway, I'll know who the pianist is when I get home tonight!

Track 11 is Glenn Miller's "The Spirit is Willing." Wow, two Glenn Miller tracks within a span of 3 BFT's! What is this world coming to, I tell ya? :g I first heard this on the 3-CD set called The Popular Recordings, and the bulk of the songs on disc three (of which this song is a part) take me back to the days when my wife and I were just starting dating! :wub:

A very enjoyable disc all around, Berigan. Can't wait to find out which track has Bunny on it!

Edited by Big Al

I haven't a clue as to most of these, but this is a killer compilation. The two that stand out for me are the first two on the disc...

1. Dig this so much! Is this Venuti/Lang? If so, I’m really starting to regret not getting that Mosaic box.

2. Love that growling sound - what the hell is it anyway? Great jungle rhythm. Don’t think it’s Ellington’s band, but it’s someone I’d definitely like to check out more of.

I love big bands and music from this era, but I can't identify any except one that I know for sure and another I've heard but am kicking myself for not being able to identify

Track 1 sounds like Lionel Hampton with Charlie Christian from the BG days:

Well, you are 1/3 right! :cool: First part is correct.

Track 8 is, I believe, Earl Hines & His Orchestra doing "Tea for Two." I've got this on one of those Readers Digest 6-LP sets called The Swing Years, with the big orange cover and the picture of Glenn Miller on the cover. Once I was able to transfer LPs to CDs, this was one of the first to be converted, and I fell in love with this song all over again! Anyway, I'll know who the pianist is when I get home tonight!

It's not Earl Hines, but I will be interested in hearing if you have this exact track on that set, or if Earl Hines recorded this track, and the band I put on the set ripped Hines off!

Track 11 is Glenn Miller's "The Spirit is Willing." Wow, two Glenn Miller tracks within a span of 3 BFT's! What is this world coming to, I tell ya? :g I first heard this on the 3-CD set called The Popular Recordings, and the bulk of the songs on disc three (of which this song is a part) take me back to the days when my wife and I were just starting dating! :wub:

Victory is yours!!!! :tup I had a feeling you might get this one, after checking your BFT tracks.

Check out the guesses above, if you haven't already! Miller could rock, every once in awhile, with the right arranger, and Miller not telling folks to tone it down(How that one trumpet solo was allowed to stand, it beyond me, but very glad it did!)

A very enjoyable disc all around, Berigan. Can't wait to find out which track has Bunny on it!

Thanks! I can't wait to find out which track he's on either! :lol:

I actually meant to have him on one more track on this BFT, have the notes I wrote and everything , but alas, no track! :mellow:

It's not Earl Hines, but I will be interested in hearing if you have this exact track on that set, or if Earl Hines recorded this track, and the band I put on the set ripped Hines off!

Holy shit! Stereojack NAILED this one! Yes, this is the track from the Reader's Digest box I was referring to. If you ever find that "flabbergasted" emoticon, let me know! :D

Way to go, Jack! How'd you know this one? For that matter, Berigan, how the heck do YOU know about it?

Holy shit! Stereojack NAILED this one! Yes, this is the track from the Reader's Digest box I was referring to. If you ever find that "flabbergasted" emoticon, let me know! :D

Way to go, Jack! How'd you know this one? For that matter, Berigan, how the heck do YOU know about it?

Zurke was the pianist in Bob Crosby's band in the late 30's. This is a band I've known and enjoyed for decades. I recognized Zurke's style. I do have the recordings he made with his own band as well, but I don't know them well enough to recognize the track.

Zurke was the pianist in Bob Crosby's band in the late 30's. This is a band I've known and enjoyed for decades. I recognized Zurke's style. I do have the recordings he made with his own band as well, but I don't know them well enough to recognize the track.

Pity he didn't live long enough to enjoy much of a career: dead at 34 in 1944. :( Based on his piano playing on this track, he has a very nice, distinctive sound.

Edited by Big Al