Grant Green's "Easy."

"Easy" has recently been reissued. It's one of Green's later releases. Personally, although I have tried several of Green's later sessions, I haven't liked anything released past "Carryin On."

Has anyone heard "Easy?" And if so, what do you think of it. Worth picking up?

It's schmaltzy, commercial crud. I would do best to stay away.

Thanks everyone and I guess I'm not surprised. I can think of no other example of a jazz musician who went downhill as rapidly as Grant Green did in his later years. Though suffering from health problems, Woody Shaw still made great music.

Grant came back into recording after a decade or so and was a shadow. So sad.

I had a lot of trouble accepting Grant Green's music from his second stint with Blue Note - especially knowing how great his recording were for the label earlier in the 60s. But after repeated listenings to this material and other Rare Grooves from the era, it started to click. I enjoy them for what they are and think they're pretty good example of jazz/soul/funk of the time.

I saw Easy in a record store several years ago and figured it was more of the same. It ain't. You can tell it's Grant Green from the way he can play a melody, but the sound of his guitar is totally different - very Wes like. The songs are lame and the arrangements lamer. Schmaltzy, commercial crud as it was referred to above is pretty accurate. Two of the songs are by Lionel Ritchie - 'nuf said. :wacko: There are a few decent moments but it's not worth subjecting yourself to the majority of the material to get to it. In fact, after hearing this thing you might actually think that Green is the father of smooth jazz. The same can be said for the Main Attraction as well.

Man, you guys a full-of-it! Dusty Groove Records has this to say about Easy:

Grant Green's last session as a leader -- and although the tracks are a bit slicker than earlier work, the album's still pretty darn nice! The tunes are long in a CTI-type funky jazz mode, with arrangements by Mario Sprouse, and a nice little Latin feel to some of the best numbers!

You see, the Dusty Groove reviewer call it "Darn Nice", what more do you want. ;)

Hmmm...I found that album in a bin somewhere for two bucks...totally excited. Paid for it, took it home and took it off almost as quickly. I gave the disc another spin a few years later, and I was suprised to find out that the place that sold it to me, would buy it back for about .10. I really didn't mind, but I would have thrown the damn thing in the garbage. This totally scared me off from buying anything by GG that wasn't on Blue Note. :(