Barnes & Noble brick-and-mortar sale

Edward

I received this coupon via e-mail this morning, and I am a little surprised that no one here appears to have made mention of it yet.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.as...1&PID=22146

The coupon is good for an additional 40% off every CD (including boxed sets - no quantity limits) purchase at Barnes and Noble stores. If a CD is already on sale (if it is, the discount usually will be 10%), then the 40% discount is applied after the 10% discount has been applied. The same mechanics are used if you have a Barnes and Noble card (entitling you to a 10% discount on all purchases.)

I had the chance to swing by one of the two Barnes and Noble stores in my area that has a music section, and I was able to grab seven RCA Living Stereo SACD hybrids for a price of $7.01 each plus tax. There was not much in the jazz section (I had just about all of the better titles, and bought only "The Oscar Peterson Trio at the Stratford Shakespearean Festival'), but there were quite a few good boxed sets available: the two recent John Coltrane boxed sets from Prestige, a fair number of Rhino sets, and quite a few classical collections.

I guess that we will soon be seeing the end of music sections at Barnes and Noble stores.

I received this coupon via e-mail this morning, and I am a little surprised that no one here appears to have made mention of it yet.

BeBop seems to have been asleep on this one! :lol:

I guess that we will soon be seeing the end of music sections at Barnes and Noble stores.

Sad but true, although B&N has been a last choice for me because of high prices and lack of coupons/sales (though I will admit to taking advantage of their Concord sale a few years back).

Is this valid at all B&N stores? Has anybody else had any luck using this coupon at your local store??

I am a member of their frequent buyers club, and I get e-mails from them all the time -- but I didn't get an e-mail with this particular deal (and nothing even close to it).

I really don't want to walk up to the counter with a dozen CD's, and two box sets (after having spent probably over an hour going through their whole jazz and classical inventory -- only to find out that it wasn't valid for me (like it was only valid for certain B&N customers), or worse - that it wasn't real in the first place.

Edit: Yes, I see it's actually from the B&N website, which probably is a good sign.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

FWIW, I had not been a Barnes & Noble member when I received the e-mail with the link to the coupon yesterday morning. Also, the sales associates at the store that I visited told me that several other customers had used the coupon earlier that day.

A lot of people seem to be unaware of this coupon, which is a good thing for those of us who are. ;)

BeBop seems to have been asleep on this one! :lol:

Sad but true, although B&N has been a last choice for me because of high prices and lack of coupons/sales (though I will admit to taking advantage of their Concord sale a few years back).

Zzzzzzz.

Hey, what the... Just got this one, a day late. Better file a complaint.

I just visited my local B&N (for the first time, actually). Turns out they just sell books, no CDs. Damn.

Looks like they'll all be that way soon!

Oddly enough, the local B&N is moving to an even bigger facility inside a mall. At least, they SAY it's going to be bigger; I walked past that space the other night and I don't believe them.

I guess getting rid of the music dept. will get rid of space that's not being used. Hell, their CDs have always been so overpriced it's a wonder they ever sold any CDs to begin with.

The store in my neighborhood still has a large jazz collection. Great coupon!

Boy was I wrong on the "still has a large jazz collection!"

I hadn't stopped been there for 6-10 months, but much of the music had been cleared out. Could barely find anything to buy. Did pick up Sonny Stitt, "New York Jazz" on Verve.

The clerk recommended this new vocalist -

Melody Gardot - WORRISOME HEART. It was bargain priced at $7.99 with a dollar-off sticker on it. So $6.99 with 40% off ... $4.19 plus tax.

When he mentioned new vocalists, I asked if she sounded like Norah Jones or Dinah Krall? Norah Jones was his answer.

Well, so if you like Norah Jones.... Melody Gardot is on Verve. (similar sound)

I ended up going to two different stores hoping for some kind of interesting find. The difference between stock in their jazz and box set sections was remarkable. Unfortunately, the store that is farther away from me has a much better selection. The one closest and most convenient has always had a really lame jazz section. I would usually just sit at their listening stations and listen to samples and read the AMG reviews on CDs I found interesting.

I couldn't find any jazz worth picking up but I did get the remastered edition of John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton.

41W79FGBRGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Edited by mikelz777

Miles at the Blackhawk set, a terrific 3-CD set of great-sounding '46-'47 Ellington transcriptions on Hindsight (I love that edition of the band), and Boulez conducts Varese on CBS-Sony. Took two stores to come up with those; don't think I saw another jazz or classical disc in either place that I would have wanted if it had been 70 per cent off. Oh, maybe Nonesuch's Steve Reich box (at one of the stores) but just for documentation.

Well, the coupon works -- cuz, ouch, my wallet's $200 lighter than it was a couple hours ago. Half of that was just two items: the Miles Cellar Door box, plus another "80's Underground" alt-rock boxset from Rhino. With my B&N membership, the overall discount on the box sets was something like 52% off -- and 46% off on everything else.

Ther other jazz things I picked up were a live Jeremy Pelt progressive date ("Shock Value"), Trio Beyond (DeJohnette, Goldings & Scofield), the latest live Brad Mehldau double-disc (the new one just out this week), and the Travis Sullivan's big band "Bjorkestra" disc. That, and a bunch of rock/pop stuff nobody here will care much about.

I'd buy a lot of shit from B&N at 50% off. But without that kind of discount, I'm not likely to buy any more than ONE disc from them in any given year.

Selection was better than I was expecting. May try again on Sunday at a different B&N elsewhere in the KC area.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Sounds like your local B&N has a little better selection than mine. I did replace a couple of Art Blakey titles with RVG's, picked up the new Maceo Parker double disc (the one with the WDR big band :excited: )

and a John Scofield side "This Meets That" (interested in checking out the horn section writing).

Thanks for the heads-up on the coupon. Of course, 40% off of a $18.98 CD is still ridiculous, so I ALMOST walked out with nothing. The music section at the (brand new) Albany (NY) B&N is pretty pitiful (although they had a very nice display of (pricey) music DVDs), but...I ended up with a few items anyway, thinking it was a not bad deal:

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme [2cd deluxe edition] - $17.99

Otis Redding - Dreams to Remember [2cd] - $20.39

Arcade Fire (debut EP) - $6.59

....and a John Scofield side "This Meets That" (interested in checking out the horn section writing).

lovitz.jpg

Yeah, THAT'S it, I'm just interested in the "horn section writing". Why, I'm not even a FAN of that bum Scofield! Did I mention I'm dating Morgan Fairchild? Yeah, THAT'S the ticket!

Oh, don't get me wrong. I like me some Sco. I'm even a fan of the Lo (and the Fo is nice, but the Ho...)