Benny Goodman´s 1938 Carnegie Hall concert

EKE BBB

I have the Avid release remastered by Dave Bennett and I HIGHLY recommend it. If anybody thinks noise reduction inevitably causes loss in fidelity, I would urge you to give this a try. It can be had fairly cheaply by buying directly from Avid.

avid goodman

I had the Sony release and sold it as soon as I could.

Montg.. as you have the Avid could you answer the following.. does it have the complete Honeysuckle Rose with Claytons three choruses, the Carney and Freddie Green solos.?

As stated in another thread on this ( elsewhere).. The Schaap Goodman is the only CD I have ever bought that caused me to call the company and complain about it.

I have had the Columbia Phil Scchaap release for several years but never have been quite happy with it: too much annoying pops and clicks for my taste. Now I bought the Avid release. Dave Bennett did a great job on this, eliminating the pops and clicks and at the same time preserving the fidelity of the music, every instrument (including the drums) can be heard clearly. This reissue can be highly recommended without any reserve. It has the complete 1938 Carnegie Hall Concert, including "Sometimes I'm Happy" and "If Dreams Come True" as well as the full length version (16:41) of the Jam Session on "Honeysuckle Rose" with the complete solo by Buck Clayton and the Harry Carney and Freddie Green solos.

The rest of the set contains the following albums (complete):

BG In Hi-Fi (Capitol) 1954

Mr. Benny Goodman Plays Selections From 'The Benny Goodman Story' (Capitol) 1955

Date With The King, featuring Rosemary Clooney (Columbia) 1955

The Benny Goodman Story, Soundtrack (Decca) 1955

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm preparing a post for my small site on the various Carnegie Hall reissues because I've had a lengthy discussion with my dad about the various versions and because a reader of mine asked about the Schaap one.

I'll be comparing the CBS 1989, the Schaap and the two Avids (I had the 2003 Avid reissue and am waiting for the later one that I just ordered and that's complete and has totally different bonus material).

The one I don't have is the Disconforme reissue but know from this thread and other posts around O. that several people have that one.

I'm looking for someone who maybe had the chance to compare the Disconforme and Avid reissues and can comment on the sound of both and any other similarities/differences.

Like many people here and elsewhere, I think so far the Avid reissue(s) are the best compromise until we get a definitive reissue of this landmark concert but not having heard the Spanish rip-off reissue I'd like some more input on that, if possible.

Thanks!

I'd be curious to know of any of the issues (Lp or cd) contain the missing 30 seconds of music.

yes, me, too! on the schaap re-issued cd the time for "i got rhythm" is giving as 4:51. no time is given on the old double-lp from columbia. (have to compare them with a clock.)

keep boppin´

marcel

The old CBS 1989 CD clocks in at 5:09.

The 2003 Avid at 5:14.

The problem with all these numbers is that just about everyone cut the applause differently.

Of course, Schaap was the master at this by actually buying applause and assorted audience noise on eBay at discount prices, I think.

Edited by neveronfriday

The problem with all these numbers is that just about everyone cut the applause differently.

Of course, Schaap was the master at this by actually buying applause and assorted audience noise on eBay at discount prices, I think.

Sorry, nof, you are so wrong about that. Phil Schaap never bought as much as a clap on e-bay, or anywhere else, for that matter. He grabs applause from 1940s JATP tapes and runs it through his aging system. That said, I am told that he once traded 3 hairs from an early Eddie Condon mustache for a 15-second Dudley Fosdick cough fragment, allegedly recorded on March 4, 1926. You can hear the Fosdick cough on several of Phil's reissues, including the Benedetti box, where he wanted to combine it with a rare Cozy Cole sneeze to make a separate track, but was persuaded by the Mosaic people to save Cozy for another box.

I often wonder of the Cole fragment was ever used. Anyone know?

Sorry, nof, you are so wrong about that. Phil Schaap never bought as much as a clap on e-bay...

You can get the clap on eBay? Oh, no.

Depending on the size of the fragment, I'd be just a tiny bit more creative:

Bricole:

1. Sprinkle parsley, basil, chopped garlic, salt, pepper, and a generous amount of grated romano or parmesan cheese on meat piece(s).

2. Spread 1 ounce Italian sausage on meat pieces; roll and hold together with toothpicks.

3. Cook in oven with meatballs and sausage. Then simmer in sauce 2-3 hours. The longer you simmer, the more tender the meat.

:excited:

... or just with some fava beans and a nice Chianti ... if you're short on time.

Edited by neveronfriday

• 5 years later...