Shelly Manne "West Coast Sound" - others like this??

tonyvose

Hello all -- I've been listening (for quite a while) to Shelly Manne's "The West Coast Sound" and I really like it. Especially the four horns, the arrangements/orchestrations, the "compactness" of the tunes, etc. My question is: can anyone recommend records that are pretty similar to this? Maybe some Shorty Rogers small group stuff, or...? Basically I love it as it is sort of related to one of the kings of all this type of thing, Miles/Gil "Miles Ahead." Thanks for any suggestions.

Tony

Hello all -- I've been listening (for quite a while) to Shelly Manne's "The West Coast Sound" and I really like it. Especially the four horns, the arrangements/orchestrations, the "compactness" of the tunes, etc. My question is: can anyone recommend records that are pretty similar to this? Maybe some Shorty Rogers small group stuff, or...? Basically I love it as it is sort of related to one of the kings of all this type of thing, Miles/Gil "Miles Ahead." Thanks for any suggestions.

Tony

four horns had me think of Tony Fruscella's great selftitled album..

Purists may not like this suggestion, but several arrangements on Mancini's "Peter Gunn" album feature a big band with rhythm, trombones, trumpets and french horns. These arrangements also feature a single sax for solo lines. The horns over the trombones is an especially effective sound, as heard on "Dreamsville."

...can anyone recommend records that are pretty similar to this?

I mentioned in the AotW thread about Duane Tatro's Jazz for Moderns that the two albums were recorded about the same time with many of the same people.

If you go to the Album of the Week forum and read the thread about Jazz for Moderns, you may come to the conclusion that you would like it.

Tony

Hello tonyvose,,

Welcome to the Board! Glad to have you aboard.

Sounds like to me you have stumbled onto the West Coast sound. There are so many players and sessions that share many similarities to the one you cited. The Shorty Rogers small group stuff is really good. Try some of the early Bud Shank, Bill Perkins, Bob Cooper, Bob Gordon, Bill Holman sessions. Also the Jack Montrose sessions might be to your liking. Early Gerry Mulligan (California Concerts) Also check out the Howard Rumsey Lighthouse All Stars.

If you would like to sample some of this try the Night Light sessions archive. Many of the players are featured here:

Night Lights

Specifically:

Lighthouse All Stars

Nocturne Story

Hope this helps. It may be the beginning of a long, long, ride! :D

Enjoy

Edited by Morganized

I second the recommendation of Tatro's "Jazz For Moderns." Don't miss what for me is the most West Coast album there is, the Shorty Rogers-Andre Previn "Collaboration." Yes, it may be bit too clever for its own good, but it is damn clever. And the playing! I don't think there's an ensemble around today that could execute these pieces as well -- a whole different sensibility is at work here, plus these charts are tough.

I really enjoy the Tatro material--it was a revelation to me, thanks to those on this board who recommended it on the OJC thread.

The Teddy Charles OJC CD Collaboration West is good too (I think this is different than the Shorty Rogers music that Larry is suggesting, though I'm not positive).

I really enjoy the Tatro material--it was a revelation to me, thanks to those on this board who recommended it on the OJC thread.

The Teddy Charles OJC CD Collaboration West is good too (I think this is different than the Shorty Rogers music that Larry is suggesting, though I'm not positive).

Yes, they're different, but both are worth hearing.

• 4 weeks later...