Black Jazz & Tribe Records

Late

Seeing this thread reminds me that I still have not received the two CDs I ordered from the Black Jazz site in May. I called them two weeks ago to inquire about the status and someone told me they would look into it, but I have not heard back again. Time for another call.

Crap, back in May??

I've been this close to buying two or three discs from them (over eBay), and your report isn't getting my trigger finger any closer to sealing that deal.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any opinions of these??

harris_wend_eveningwi_101s.jpg <<click to enbiggenate

Wendell Harrison -- Evening With The Devil ... LP . . . $11.99 (Item: 45619) -- Tribe, 1972

One of the rare early albums on the Detroit based Tribe label, now made legendary by the compilations on Soul Jazz and PVine. Tenor player Wendell Harrison leads a group that includes Marcus Belgrave, Charles Eubanks, and Phil Ranelin, and which features occasional poetry by the "Black Messengers". The groove is laidback and spacey, with some nice electric piano, and good mellow solos that have a nice soulful vibe to them. Other parts of the album are a little bit more out, and have a sharp edge to them. Tracks include "Mary Had An Abortion", "Angry Young Man", "Consciousness", and "Rebirth". Wild cover, too!

This is a good album. I could live without the recitations, but they're not too intrusive. As I recall, Harrison's solos are the most interesting. An album in this vein (without recitations) that I think is much better is Henry Franklin's The Skipper. Some great tenor solos from Charles Owens (who I haven't heard outside of this LP) and equally fine trumpet solos from Oscar Brasheer.

Some great tenor solos from Charles Owens (who I haven't heard outside of this LP) and equally fine trumpet solos from Oscar Brasheer.

:g was pretty surprised when i looked at the line-up of a diana krall cd (which my girlfiend had gotten fom one of her colleagues who tried to convince her that jazz is not crap... not mine) and noted charles owens name in there...

Any opinions of these??

harris_wend_eveningwi_101s.jpg <<click to enbiggenate

Wendell Harrison -- Evening With The Devil ... LP . . . $11.99 (Item: 45619) -- Tribe, 1972

One of the rare early albums on the Detroit based Tribe label, now made legendary by the compilations on Soul Jazz and PVine. Tenor player Wendell Harrison leads a group that includes Marcus Belgrave, Charles Eubanks, and Phil Ranelin, and which features occasional poetry by the "Black Messengers". The groove is laidback and spacey, with some nice electric piano, and good mellow solos that have a nice soulful vibe to them. Other parts of the album are a little bit more out, and have a sharp edge to them. Tracks include "Mary Had An Abortion", "Angry Young Man", "Consciousness", and "Rebirth". Wild cover, too!

This is a good album. I could live without the recitations, but they're not too intrusive. As I recall, Harrison's solos are the most interesting. An album in this vein (without recitations) that I think is much better is Henry Franklin's The Skipper. Some great tenor solos from Charles Owens (who I haven't heard outside of this LP) and equally fine trumpet solos from Oscar Brasheer.

Honestly, I find this one a step below the reissued Ranelin albums, which are for me still the gold standard in the Tribe catalog. Nice playing, the recitation is, probably intentionally, a little disturbing in spots, but the overall it seems less focused and emotionally/energetically direct than the sides under Ranelin's leadership.

Seeing this thread reminds me that I still have not received the two CDs I ordered from the Black Jazz site in May. I called them two weeks ago to inquire about the status and someone told me they would look into it, but I have not heard back again. Time for another call.

Crap, back in May??

I've been this close to buying two or three discs from them (over eBay), and your report isn't getting my trigger finger any closer to sealing that deal.

Maybe it is different ordering from eBay as opposed to the Black Jazz web site. I just left another voice mail message. I will let you know what response I get.

Some great tenor solos from Charles Owens (who I haven't heard outside of this LP) and equally fine trumpet solos from Oscar Brasheer.

:g was pretty surprised when i looked at the line-up of a diana krall cd (which my girlfiend had gotten fom one of her colleagues who tried to convince her that jazz is not crap... not mine) and noted charles owens name in there...

Charles Owens was also with Buddy Rich in the Pacific Jazz days & with John Mayall in the Blue Mitchell days.

Charles Owens was also with Buddy Rich in the Pacific Jazz days & with John Mayall in the Blue Mitchell days.

from his faculty bio at ucla (Lorenz Alexander=Lorez Alexandria)

http://www.ethnomusic.ucla.edu/people/owens.htm

Owens has toured, performed and recorded with an impressive array of artists including Lorenz Alexander, Bobby Bryant, Terry Callier,

John Carter, the Clayton-Hamilton Orchestra, Miles Davis, Marvin Gaye, Dave

Grusin, Eddie Harris, Gladys Knight, James Newton, the Buddy Rich Band, and

Barbra Streisand.

I guess he don't wanna talk about the John Mayall gig.

Thena again, I think it was on a live album recorded in LA, so maybe it was just for that one date.

anyway, here it is: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...3xfexqe5ldke~T2

You also got Victor Gaskin on board. Not a particularly good album, actually, but it made a little bit of noise back in the day, that and the earlier one, Jazz Blues Fusion, which also had Blue Mitchell & his twin brother Billy...

I guess he don't wanna talk about the John Mayall gig.

Thena again, I think it was on a live album recorded in LA, so maybe it was just for that one date.

anyway, here it is: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...3xfexqe5ldke~T2

You also got Victor Gaskin on board. Not a particularly good album, actually, but it made a little bit of noise back in the day, that and the earlier one, Jazz Blues Fusion, which also had Blue Mitchell & his twin brother Billy...

the mitchells weren't really brothers?

in this (pretty interesting) article, owens mentions being a student of billy mitchell btw, so that may have gotten him the gig

http://www.ocweekly.com/2001-05-24/music/s...t-into-teacher/

(and there's also this bit about saxophonist daniel jackson who would also played with buddy rich in the late 60s)

"Earl Soto, David Woods, Daniel Jackson and Johnny Price were all in the neighborhood. Daniel especially helped me. He'd share chord changes with me, give me little licks to play, let me scuffle and make mistakes. He's still in San Diego and still my mentor."

• 3 months later...

I ordered the Best of Black Jazz compilation fro Amazon.com and the seller has all of the Black Jazz Titles. I'm sure his name is James and is the person in charge of blackjazz.com. The CD is 79.56 min. and has all 14 Black Jazz Artists and is a great way to get acquainted with the label. I too want to order more and checked ebay and Black Jazz has a store there also. Due to the negative feedback, I sent the seller a question to see if I can receive duscounted shipping on multiple items. If I get a quick response and confirm it is James also selling on Amazon, I'll likely buy more. BTW, I ordered last friday and received the Best of Cd on Monday!

• 1 year later...

This 20CD box was released in Japan recently. My favorite record shop in Paris displayed several copies.

Black Jazz box

0912041925260MT1.jpg

CD Universe sells this for $502,89 and it's already backordered.

The price in Paris for this set was much smoother.

Here is a track list of what's inside;

Track List:

DISC 1

1. Black Orchid / Gene Russell

2. Hitting The Jug / Gene Russell

3. Willow Weep For Me / Gene Russell

4. Listen Here / Gene Russell

5. On Green Dolphin Street / Gene Russell

6. Silver's Serenade / Gene Russell

7. My Cherie Amour / Gene Russell

8. Making Bread / Gene Russell

DISC 2

1. Coral Keys / Walter Bishop Jr.

2. Waltz For Zweetie / Walter Bishop Jr.

3. Track Down / Walter Bishop Jr.

4. Soul Turn Around / Walter Bishop

5. Our November / Walter Bishop Jr.

6. Three Loves / Walter Bishop Jr.

7. Freedom Suite / Walter Bishop Jr.

DISC 3

1. Welcom / Doug Carn

2. Little B's Poem / Doug Carn

3. Moon Child / Doug Carn

4. Infant Eyes / Doug Carn

5. Passion Dance / Doug Carn

6. Acknowledgement / Doug Carn

7. Peace / Doug Carn

DISC 4

1. Sylvia Ann / Rudolph Johnson

2. Fonda / Rudolph Johnson

3. Diswa / Rudolph Johnson

4. Mr. T.J. / Rudolph Johnson

5. Little Daphne / Rudolph Johnson

6. Devon Jean / Rudolph Johnson

7. Spring Rain / Rudolph Johnson

DISC 5

1. B.E. / Calvin Keys

2. Criss Cross / Calvin Keys

3. Shawn-Neeq / Calvin Keys

4. Gee-Gee / Calvin Keys

5. B.K. / Calvin Keys

DISC 6

1. Mr. T / Chester Thompson

2. Trip One / Chester Thompson

3. Weird Harold / Chester Thompson

4. Power House / Chester Thompson

DISC 7

1. Outbreak / Henry Franklin

2. Plastic Creek Stomp / Henry Franklin

3. Theme For Jojo / Henry Franklin

4. Beauty And The Electric Tub / Henry Franklin

5. Little Miss Laurie / Henry Franklin

6. The Skipper / Henry Franklin

DISC 8

1. Dwell Like A Ghost / Doug Carn

2. My Spirit / Doug Carn

3. Arise And Shine / Doug Carn

4. Blue In Green / Doug Carn

5. Trance Dance / Doug Carn

6. Search For The New Land / Doug Carn

7. New Moon / Doug Carn

DISC 9

1. Awakening - Prologue - Spring Thing / The Awakening

2. When Will It Ever End / The Awakening

3. Convulsions / The Awakening

4. Kera's Dance / The Awakening

5. Jupiter / The Awakening

6. Brand New Feeling / The Awakening

7. Awakening - Epilogue / The Awakening

DISC 10

1. Talk To My Lady / Gene Russell

2. Get Down / Gene Russell

3. Me And Mrs. Jones / Gene Russell

4. For Heaven's Sake / Gene Russell

5. You Are The Sunshine Of My Life / Gene Russell

6. Blues Suite / Gene Russell

7. My Favorite Things / Gene Russell

8. If You Could See Me Now / Gene Russell

DISC 11

1. The Traveler / Rudolph Johnson

2. Time And Space / Rudolph Johnson

3. The Highest Pleasure / Rudolph Johnson

4. The Water Bearer / Rudolph Johnson

5. The Second Coming / Rudolph Johnson

DISC 12

1. Magic Wand Of Love / Kelee Patterson

2. Look At The Child / Kelee Patterson

3. Soul Daddy (Lady) / Kelee Patterson

4. Maiden Voyage / Kelee Patterson

5. Don't Misunderstand / Kelee Patterson

6. See You Later / Kelee Patterson

7. You / Kelee Patterson

8. Be All Your Own / Kelee Patterson

DISC 13

1. Soul Village / Walter Bishop Jr.'s 4th Cycle

2. N'Dugu's Prayer / Walter Bishop Jr.'s 4th Cycle

3. Summertime / Walter Bishop Jr.'s 4th Cycle

4. Those Who Chant / Walter Bishop Jr.'s 4th Cycle

5. Keeper Of My Soul / Walter Bishop Jr.'s 4th Cycle

6. Blue Bossa / Walter Bishop Jr.'s 4th Cycle

7. Sweet Rosa / Walter Bishop Jr.'s 4th Cycle

DISC 14

1. Mode For D.D. / The Awakening

2. The Ultimate Frontier / The Awakening

3. Just A Little Peace / The Awakening

4. Slinky / The Awakening

5. Mirage / The Awakening

6. Glory To The Sun / The Awakening

7. March On / The Awakening

DISC 15

1. God Is One / Doug Carn

2. Power And Glory / Doug Carn

3. Revelation / Doug Carn

4. Naima / Doug Carn

5. Fatherhood / Doug Carn

6. Contemplation / Doug Carn

7. Feel Free / Doug Carn

8. Time Is Running Out / Doug Carn

9. Jihad / Doug Carn

DISC 16

1. Blue Lights / Henry Franklin

2. What Was / Henry Franklin

3. Soft Spirits / Henry Franklin

4. The Magic Boy / Henry Franklin

5. Venus Fly Trap / Henry Franklin

6. Waltz For Boobuss / Henry Franklin

DISC 17

1. Proceed With Caution! / Calvin Keys

2. Tradewinds / Calvin Keys

3. Efflugence / Calvin Keys

4. Aunt Lovey / Calvin Keys

5. Renaissance / Calvin Keys

6. Night Cry / Calvin Keys

DISC 18

1. Eglise / Roland Haynes

2. Second Wave / Roland Haynes

3. Kirstn's Play / Roland Haynes

4. Alcelis / Roland Haynes

5. Descent / Roland Haynes

6. Funky Mama Moose / Roland Haynes

DISC 19

1. Chi-Town Theme / Cleveland Eaton

2. Keena / Cleveland Eaton

3. Moe, Let's Have A Party / Cleveland Eaton

4. Are You Out There Somewhere Caring / Cleveland Eaton

5. Kaiser 405 / Cleveland Eaton

6. All Your Lover, All Day, All Night / Cleveland Eaton

7. Hamburg 302 / Cleveland Eaton

DISC 20

1. Chant / Doug Carn

2. Higher Ground / Doug Carn

3. Sweet Season / Doug Carn

4. Sanctuary / Doug Carn

5. Mighty Mighty / Doug Carn

6. The Messenger / Doug Carn

7. Adam's Apple / Doug Carn

8. To A Wild Rose / Doug Carn

9. Western Sunrise / Doug Carn

• 5 months later...

Haven't posted here in a long time but I have been checking out some Black Jazz stuff online and found this old thread.

Here's a question for the Black Jazz experts here, because it's killing me... if you go to the website (http://www.blackjazz.com/) and listen to "Black Jazz Radio," what are the first three tunes on the first track? I know the site is dead and everything, but you would think they would have listed the names of the tunes playing here so one could then buy the CD. I have been going through all the sound samples on the site trying to figure out what these are and it's driving me crazy. Anyone know? Particularly wondering about the first one...thought it was from one of the Doug Carn albums but I can't find it.

Thanks!!

Tim

I took a quick listen. I'd also have guessed the first tune was Doug & Jean Carn.

Definitely Jean Carn singing. I'll see if I can find the tune on the Dough & Jean Carn CD's over the weekend if I get a chance. Those Carn CD's on Black Jazz are four great CD's by the way.

Edited by felser

Track 1 = Sounds like Doug/Jean Cam, but I've heard all four Carn Black Jazz sides, and this ain't on any of 'em...

Track 2 = ????

Track 3 = The Freedom Sound" by the Jazz Crusaders!!!

So, I don't think that Black Jazz Radio only play items from the Black Jazz label.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help. I guess this would explain why I couldn't figure out what albums these tunes were coming from...! :blink:

I am totally new to the Black Jazz stuff but I'm liking what I'm hearing as I go through the samples on the site.

Well, I'll look up Doug & Jean Carn and see if maybe that first one is from another album NOT on Black Jazz...? And will look up that Crusaders tune too.

Thanks again!

Well, I'll look up Doug & Jean Carn and see if maybe that first one is from another album NOT on Black Jazz...? And will look up that Crusaders tune too.

Thanks again!

Don't think there is such a thing as a Doug/Jean Carn album not on Black Jazz. Maybe a Jean Carn solo album. But it sounds like Doug and Jean Carn, Doug's musical/spiritual approach. "The Freedom Sounds" is on any early Jazz Crusaders best of. It and their "Young Rabbits" from the same period (early 60's) are classic.

Edited by felser

To the best of my knowledge, Jean's solo career began on Philly International, and nothing there - or afterwards - was in the Black Jazz vein.

I think she was on a Norman Connors Cobblestone side or two, but not as lead vocalist(?)...that one is a true mystery!