AotW - Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'

GA Russell

Hell everything Sonny Clark did was outstanding. We all have our favorites of course. If I had to pick one it would probably be "The Sonny Clark Trio."

Definitely agree with this. Cool Struttin was my first Sonny album, not to mention one of my early Cds. Still love it.

You know I actually read a review on Amazon that said that Sonny Clark wasn't that great of a pianist. I don't think I ever laughed so hard in my life.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know it's really a shame what happened to Sonny Clark. I thought he had a lot of promise. He was a damn fine pianist and composer. Just think of all the great music he could've made if he lived longer...

You're right, but I try not to dwell on that, rather be thankful for all the really remarkable work he WAS able to put out during his all-too-short career.

I don't like to dwell on that stuff either, but yeah he did record some fine albums in his short life. I'm having a hard time finding a copy of "My Conception." It was his "lost session" and I really would like to own a copy. Any suggestions where I might could find other than Amazon.

I found it at a local independent record (music) store. Is it out of print already?

You know it's really a shame what happened to Sonny Clark. I thought he had a lot of promise. He was a damn fine pianist and composer. Just think of all the great music he could've made if he lived longer...

You're right, but I try not to dwell on that, rather be thankful for all the really remarkable work he WAS able to put out during his all-too-short career.

I don't like to dwell on that stuff either, but yeah he did record some fine albums in his short life. I'm having a hard time finding a copy of "My Conception." It was his "lost session" and I really would like to own a copy. Any suggestions where I might could find other than Amazon.

I found it at a local independent record (music) store. Is it out of print already?

Yeah, it sure is. I thought this is crazy, because it was just released in 2000. I really don't understand Blue Note sometimes. They also will not release Donald Byrd's "Byrd In Flight." What is wrong with them?

I remember that it was deleted from the BN catalogue not that long after it was released. Was shocked that they pulled it that fast. I remember we had some discussion about it on the old BN board.

Yeah, it seems Blue Note does this a lot for some reason. Do you know the logic behind this?

I think the way it works (and I pretty sure there's some threads on this topic, though I'm not sure where, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong) is that the Conns are given an additional pressing if sales are good. If sales are poor, then they let the stock run out (or they turn into cut outs, etc) and they go out of print. So its my guess that My Conception (depsite the fact that it is an excellent disc) didn't sell well and went OOP. It seems that these kind of decisions are made quickly as the 10 inchers and the West Coast Classics, have shown. So my advice is that as soon as you see somthing, grab it, because you never know when you'll see it again. -_-

I think the way it works (and I pretty sure there's some threads on this topic, though I'm not sure where, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong) is that the Conns are given an additional pressing if sales are good. If sales are poor, then they let the stock run out (or they turn into cut outs, etc) and they go out of print. So its my guess that My Conception (depsite the fact that it is an excellent disc) didn't sell well and went OOP. It seems that these kind of decisions are made quickly as the 10 inchers and the West Coast Classics, have shown. So my advice is that as soon as you see somthing, grab it, because you never know when you'll see it again. -_-

Thanks for that information. I had an idea that's basically what happened, but wasn't sure. I will definitely snag "My Conception" if I see it for a decent price.

You said it! That's why I said L&L and MC should be RVGed, since the RVGs are at least kept in print for a decent stretch. Don't even get me started on the 10" Series...if I knew then what I know now I would have grabbed every one the day of release. As it was, the damn things were even more expensive than regular Connoisseurs, which I think had a real deterrent effect on the consumer. I know it did on me until I learned how damn good they were.

• 8 years later...

Reading an advance copy of Sam Stephenson's new book about photographer W. Eugene Smith, and it contains this interesting passage about the iconic status of Cool Struttin' in Japan:

"According to Soundscan, which began tracking CD sales in 1991, Clark's 1958 album on the Blue Note label, Cool Struttin', has, in Japan, outsold several Blue Note albums with similar instrumentation from the same period that dwarf Cool Struttin' in terms of iconography and sales in the States.  For example, from 1991 to 2009, Cool Struttin' sold 38,000 copies in the States and 179,000 in Japan, while over the same period, Coltrane's classic 1957 release, Blue Train, sold 545,000 copies in the States and 147,000 in Japan."

Didn't "Cool Struttin" become a phenomena in the jazz kissa in the early to mid 80's?  That's always how I understood it's popularity.  Certainly the liners by Shoichi Yui for "Barry Harris Live in Tokyo" make the case for jazz records being played in public places like coffeeshops in Japan in the mid 70's which was a surprise to Mr. Harris.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Enterprise Server said:

Check out the Sonny Clark recording on Xanadu..

..R-3859433-1406747539-4451.jpeg.jpg

The first Sonny Clark record I ever bought (one of those chance purchases at a misc. items record stall) back in the early 80s. Very fluent, allowing him to stretch out ...

BTW, that's an interesting avatar you got there. I saw that movie at a local Art & Jazz exhibition here in late 2015.  The contrast between the intense music and the very slow movements of the camera is amazing but makes you feel sort of restless as time passes - the movie could have benefitted from some editing IMO ...

Cool Struttin' is a fine a fine album, not but any more so than Clark's others on BN or any number of his sideman appearances - if I had to rank/rate it I'd say sold 'B' but that's all.  Stil a B level Sonny Clark BN is a beautiful thing.  Love Jackie Mac's sound, I don't recall his intonation being particularly off here, at least not as much as it sometime can be (the edge on his sound can get a little raw, for lack of a better term, and what's this about his being flat - if anything I thought he was sharp?).  The perfect Sonny Clark date is the one he didn't get to make with Shorter, Dolphy & Williams!

9 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Cool Struttin' is a fine a fine album, not but any more so than Clark's others on BN or any number of his sideman appearances - if I had to rank/rate it I'd say sold 'B' but that's all.  Stil a B level Sonny Clark BN is a beautiful thing.  Love Jackie Mac's sound, I don't recall his intonation being particularly off here, at least not as much as it sometime can be (the edge on his sound can get a little raw, for lack of a better term, and what's this about his being flat - if anything I thought he was sharp?).  The perfect Sonny Clark date is the one he didn't get to make with Shorter, Dolphy & Williams!

I'd put Sonny's Crib #1, Cool Struttin #2.  The trio album is at the bottom of my list.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...