Trumpeter Freddie Hubbard celebrates 70th B-day

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, I first heard Hub Cap when I was 14 and his playing was just too distant and mechanical for my tastes - knew nothing about him personally then, so I was objective -

true about the nature of people and their music; one of my best jazz-musician friends, and one of the greatest jazz pianists ever, turned out to be a rapist who killed one of his wives -

but nobody's perfect -

Edited by AllenLowe

I'm just a sucker for those Clifford Brown inspired players, including Hubbard.

Saw him in NY a few years ago and he couldn't play one freakin' note. Horrible. He apologized and blamed jet-lag or something. I didn't even know about the busted lip story at the time.

well, I first heard Hub Cap when I was 14 and his playing was just too distant and mechanical for my tastes - knew nothing about him personally then, so I was objective -

FWIW, Hub Cap is my least favorite of Hubbard's BNs, second only to Breaking Point.

Another FWIW, I find myself enjoying Hubbard's CTI's more than his own BN's. But then, I prefer him more as a sideman on Blue Note than as a leader.

d380808py7w.jpgf13866fz627.jpg

i think I have some of that on LP - a French issue of a Fantasy LP called "Classics", done on 28.11.81, side-long versions of "Red clay" and "First light". Is that the same thing?

I can really only play that when I'm feeling absolutely in the mood for some heavy hard bop, which ain't often.

MG

Personally, I tend to find that Freddie's staunchest defenders are deaf to some pretty obvious flaws in a lot of his performances, and that his harshest critics are deaf to some brilliantly inspired (and hellaceously fiery) trumpet playing. A bad Freddie performance is pretty damn awful, and a great one is pretty damn exhilarating.

And the ones in between are...like everybody else's in betweens.

Yeah, but if you can get a consensus that "Red Clay" & "First Light" are "hard bop" then you've done gone and found a world that's pleasantly different than the one in which I live. ;)

Do you mean those versions, or the tunes themselves? I can understand a lack of consensus about the tunes. But those performances sound pretty hard bop to me.

If I'm wrong about that, please tell me why.

MG

Yeah, but if you can get a consensus that "Red Clay" & "First Light" are "hard bop" then you've done gone and found a world that's pleasantly different than the one in which I live. ;)

Some time ago, a friend of mine bought Red Clay because so many people had recommended it (not me, I might add) and felt terribly burned. As he lives in the same world as me, I've always given the album a wide berth.

Do you mean those versions, or the tunes themselves? I can understand a lack of consensus about the tunes. But those performances sound pretty hard bop to me.

If I'm wrong about that, please tell me why.

MG

No, I mean the tunes themselves.

It's funny, on one side you got people who don't like the tunes because they're "sellouts" or some such, but then when they're used as serious blowing vehicles, you got other people (not you, MG) who get overwhelmed by what gets played on them, like it's "too much" or something.

Which just goes to show that if you just go ahead on and do what you want to do, for whatever reasons you want to do it, before it's all over everybody will have told you to go fuck yourself.

Which is why it's better to do unto others before they do unto you. And from that POV, I fully appreciate Freddie Hubbard. :g

a fairly well-known alto player once described Freddie's sound to me as "Mariachi style" -

Having lived a life surrounded by Mariachi bands, real Mariachi bands, I assure you that whoever it was who said that, and no matter how sharp they might otherwise have been, on that point they were 100% a fucking idiot.

a fairly well-known alto player once described Freddie's sound to me as "Mariachi style" -

Having lived a life surrounded by Mariachi bands, real Mariachi bands, I assure you that whoever it was who said that, and no matter how sharp they might otherwise have been, on that point they were 100% a fucking idiot.

:lol:

Personally, I tend to find that Freddie's staunchest defenders are deaf to some pretty obvious flaws in a lot of his performances, and that his harshest critics are deaf to some brilliantly inspired (and hellaceously fiery) trumpet playing. A bad Freddie performance is pretty damn awful, and a great one is pretty damn exhilarating.

And the ones in between are...like everybody else's in betweens.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel.

He started to slide with the Atlantics, but even a couple of those are decent. I generally find his "classic" BN period full of excellent playing. This might also be from a technical standpoint, but if early Freddie Hubbard is my lone "technique" player, then that's not doing too badly...

FWIW, I did not like his playing very much upon first being seriously exposed to it - took some time to appreciate his musicality and his tunes.