Jimmy Giuffre 3: Live

Late

Just saw that these individual hat titles are seeing reissue as a double-disc set on hatOLOGY. For those who don't already have this music, these concerts are a must-hear. If you like the 1961 set on ECM, you will love these sides.

R-2304948-1458228664-3601.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Late
Oatmeal

Sweet, sweet news! I remember being inexorably bummed when Joe Milazzo informed me that these titles had indeed gone OOP... saw 'em years ago when I was just getting into Giuffre, didn't bite, and have been kicking myself remorsefully ever since. Are these already out, Late, or do you have a street date?

It's on HatHut's "Pending upcoming releases" list for October 2003 - January 2004.

• 17 years later...

I hope some day the Tübingen concert, from the 1961 European tour, will be cleaned up and released. I believe it's the only recording, of presumably four total, from this tour — the others being Bremen, Stuttgart, and Graz — that has not seen a digital release.

The Jazz Discography Project lists eight titles from this performance, if "western Europe" is indeed the Tübingen set. Unique Jazz released a boot on vinyl. Here it is. The music is great; a fair amount different than the performances from the other cities.

• 1 year later...

In the 23 October 1961 issue of Billboard, Jimmy Jungerman wrote:  “The Jimmy Giuffre Three tour Germany and Austria in October and November.  They start in Frankfurt, Germany, and will visit Rheda, Essen, Kassel, Kaiserslautern, Germany; Graz, Linz, Vienna, Austria; Homberg, Dusseldorf, Bad Homburg, Stuttgart, Bonn, Cologne, Saarbrucken, Tubingen, Mannheim, Nuremburg, Munich, Hamburg, Berlin, Aachen, Bremen, Hanover, Germany”. 

Somebody needs to write a (800-page?) biography of Giuffre.

3 hours ago, gvopedz said:

"They start in Frankfurt, Germany, and will visit Rheda, Essen, Kassel, Kaiserslautern, Germany; Graz, Linz, Vienna, Austria; Homberg, Dusseldorf, Bad Homburg, Stuttgart, Bonn, Cologne, Saarbrucken, Tübingen, Mannheim, Nuremburg, Munich, Hamburg, Berlin, Aachen, Bremen, Hanover, Germany."

Whoa—24 cities. I wonder if/how many tapes exist. 

9 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I was listening to the Stuttgart and Bremen records two weeks ago, and I was surprised how up-to-date they sound. They could have come out on Clean Feed or Intakt in 2014.

I was listening to the "Graz" which my wife bought for me 2 oder 3 years ago. It was her choice and she simply said, she saw the cover and that it was written "live" and thought it might be interesting for me.

Well and indeed, I never had had my focus on Jimmy Giuffree or much white cool jazz in my live, but than I liked it and spinned it quite often. But I must admit, without the choice from my wife, I maybe wouldn´t even have had it.....

2 hours ago, optatio said:

Marion Brown and I saw them live. In the theater foyer we met Billy Hart.

Jazztime Hildesheim ´93.jpg

Was this his last live playing. I didn´t see them then, since beginning from late 1992 I retired for 20 years (didn´t play in public 20 years). 
But if I remember right, I still had subscribed Jazz Podium in the early 90´s and the review was that Giuffree already had difficulties to play due to Parkinson desease. 
As I said, I "discovered" him only thru the Graz CD I got from my wife. 
I also think he did some kind of workshop once here in Viena at some jazz conservatory and it was more about ensemble playing, some written stuff, and that he was very profesorial, not jazzmusician-like as you might supose. 

17 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Was this his last live playing. I didn´t see them then, since beginning from late 1992 I retired for 20 years (didn´t play in public 20 years). 
But if I remember right, I still had subscribed Jazz Podium in the early 90´s and the review was that Giuffree already had difficulties to play due to Parkinson desease. 

I still have the magazine "Jazz Podium" on my shelf - since 1974! I will have a look ...

21 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

and.... did you have a look ? 

Yes. It seems that the performance in Hildesheim on May 29, 1993 was one the last of the trio. Heading "Festivals" (Jazzpodium Nr. 5, May 1993, p. 56): "Jazztime Hildesheim '93. 29.-31. Mai, 1993, Hildesheim. Jimmy Giuffre, Paul Bley, Steve Swallow".

There is another date under the heading "On the road": "Jimmy Giuffre, 23.5. Essen" (JP No. 5, May 1993, p. 68). But under the heading "Jazz Clubs + Konzerte": "Essen. Grillo-Theater. 24.5. [sic] Jimmy Giuffre/Paul Bley/Steve Swallow" (JP Nr.5 May 1993, p.61). Same heading (JP Nr. 5 May 1993, 59): "Berlin ... Quasimodo ... 25.5. Jimmy Giuffre/Paul Bley/Steve Swallow".

Heading "On the road" (JP Nr. 6 June 1993, p. 59): "Jimmy Giuffre 6.6. Delmenhorst". But heading "Festivals" (JP Nr. 6 June 1993, p. 61): "Jazzfest Delmenhorst, 4.-6. Juni 1993, Delmenhorst. ... 6.6. Jimmy Giuffre/Paul Bley/Steve Swallow. Heading "Jazz Clubs + Konzerte" (JP Nr.6 June 1993, p. 70): "Hamburg, Fabrik ... 7.6. Steve Swallow/Paul Bley/Jimmy Giuffre [!]"

If I find more informations I will share it.

His Parkinson's disease is mentioned in the Wikipedia articles in English and German. But only the German Wikipedia article mentions that he ended his career as a musician in 1993.

18 hours ago, optatio said:

Yes. It seems that the performance in Hildesheim on May 29, 1993 was one the last of the trio. Heading "Festivals" (Jazzpodium Nr. 5, May 1993, p. 56): "Jazztime Hildesheim '93. 29.-31. Mai, 1993, Hildesheim. Jimmy Giuffre, Paul Bley, Steve Swallow".

There is another date under the heading "On the road": "Jimmy Giuffre, 23.5. Essen" (JP No. 5, May 1993, p. 68). But under the heading "Jazz Clubs + Konzerte": "Essen. Grillo-Theater. 24.5. [sic] Jimmy Giuffre/Paul Bley/Steve Swallow" (JP Nr.5 May 1993, p.61). Same heading (JP Nr. 5 May 1993, 59): "Berlin ... Quasimodo ... 25.5. Jimmy Giuffre/Paul Bley/Steve Swallow".

Heading "On the road" (JP Nr. 6 June 1993, p. 59): "Jimmy Giuffre 6.6. Delmenhorst". But heading "Festivals" (JP Nr. 6 June 1993, p. 61): "Jazzfest Delmenhorst, 4.-6. Juni 1993, Delmenhorst. ... 6.6. Jimmy Giuffre/Paul Bley/Steve Swallow. Heading "Jazz Clubs + Konzerte" (JP Nr.6 June 1993, p. 70): "Hamburg, Fabrik ... 7.6. Steve Swallow/Paul Bley/Jimmy Giuffre [!]"

If I find more informations I will share it.

His Parkinson's disease is mentioned in the Wikipedia articles in English and German. But only the German Wikipedia article mentions that he ended his career as a musician in 1993.

If I remember right, one of the review, I think it was in Podium, was referring to his difficulties to mangage to get thru and that it was quite a sad experience.

I also have read, that Giuffre once, also towards the end of his career did a master class, or a master seminar at some music school here in Vienna. But it was more about playing a piece of written music, not really related to improvised jazz, while the classic Giuffre - Bley-Swallow was a master example of another kind of freely improvised avantgarde jazz, unknow to me until my wife bought me that "Live in Graz" stuff on Hat Hut Records. 

On 12/21/2022 at 8:56 AM, Gheorghe said:

If I remember right, one of the review, I think it was in Podium, was referring to his difficulties to mangage to get thru and that it was quite a sad experience.

In the detailed review - Bertold Ansohn: Die Innen- und die Außenwelt des Jazz. Jazztime Hildesheim. In. Jazz Podium Nr. 7/8 Juli/August 1993, pp. 42-43 - 
not a word about any health troubles. 

May be that the performance at the "Fabrik" in Hamburg https://fabrik.de/venue June 7, 1993 was the last one in Germany, if at all. But there was another performance in June 1993 in Weil am Rhein not announced as usual in Jazz Podium - date? It seems the trio has had its time ...

Klaus Robert Bachmann: Das Flüsterrohr und die blumige Pathetik. Jimmy Giuffre, Paul Bley, Steve Swallow. In Jazz Podium, op. cit, p. 48

Jimmy Giuffre 3.jpg

thanks for scanning this! can't say I am a fan of that article though (remember complaining to my saxophone teacher about Jazz Podium as a kid in the late 90s, the pretentious writing style, the outdated design... he said he perfectly understood, but had to read it himself because you can't be part of the German jazz scene if you don't...)