Woody Shaw Praises Terry Bozzio

JSngry

brother rey-- i'm no tech guru but does it work when you click on the link? edc has to either click on or log in to see... not sure why it's diff in each case.

re: Bozzio, that record w/him, David Torn & the other dude i'm forgetting (7/4 where you at?) is pretty great for that sorta thing.

Polytown with Mick Karn, bass (Japan) polytown.jpg

I DL the jpg(s) to the desktop and use ACDSee to view them. They are too small to read on-line.

that's what i did too in the beginning but i have (at least in my office, no idea whether this will work with other peoples setups...) "discovered" an alternative, i click on this black bar at the top of the picture (where it says "size reduced to 68%" or the like) then the pictue opens but is usually still to small to read... THEN there is some icon which appears when i move the mouse cursor around in the lower right corner of the image and when i click on it the picture is zoomed in and i can read it... (still surprised that it works)

There is no link or anything else in the original post on my screen. Not that big a deal, I can read it from home later tonight. It is just wierd to me since theoretically my computer system at work is probably better than my Dell desktop at home with a few years on it.

I had never heard of Bozzio until I was skulking around on YouTube and came across some of his videos. There's a boatload of flash here (his drumsets are ridiculously and unnecessarily complicated) but underneath it all, I think he's got some MAJOR chops. It would be interesting to just sit him down behind a Buddy Rich-sized configuration and see what he could do sans all the glitter and the pyrotechnics.

To me, Bozzio represents what's wrong with so much of music today. What I call the "my dog's bigger than your's" syndrome.

Up over and out.

I had never heard of Bozzio until I was skulking around on YouTube and came across some of his videos. There's a boatload of flash here (his drumsets are ridiculously and unnecessarily complicated) but underneath it all, I think he's got some MAJOR chops. It would be interesting to just sit him down behind a Buddy Rich-sized configuration and see what he could do sans all the glitter and the pyrotechnics.

To me, Bozzio represents what's wrong with so much of music today. What I call the "my dog's bigger than your's" syndrome.

Up over and out.

I first heard him playing Zappa's The Black Page and then in a bunch of other places during the years...I dunno...he's just a fusion guy. I used to be into that kind of stuff. I wonder what he'd sound like with a little set...cymbal, snare, hi-hat, bass and one mounted tom - playing straight ahead.

I used to see him weekly in the eeearly 80s (god this is mortifying) with Missing Persons. I grew up in LA, OK??? and ya, was young enough then to like the GoGos, and soon the Peppers who we used to go see every Wednesday at the Music Machine when all they'd wear was a sock each... Soon though, I heard Thelonious Monk on the radio and didn't care about all that anymore.

He's ok for a fusion player. Would almost like to hear him on just a ride, hi hat, snare and bd too.

missingpersonswords450.jpg

The Minutemen on the order of hundreds of times, and Saccharine Trust - I was a little late to see the Germs, but I knew all the words to Lexicon Devil by the time I was 13...

I think I remember Charlie Haden showing up to some of those downtown Saccharine gigs when they'd just pitch a big extension chord out the window of a loft and 10 bands would play in an empty lot...

Edited by Elissa

...I dunno...he's just a fusion guy. I used to be into that kind of stuff. I wonder what he'd sound like with a little set...cymbal, snare, hi-hat, bass and one mounted tom - playing straight ahead.

Well, we now know that he worked w/Woody Shaw in California, and apparently quite well, at some point before 1975.

I don't think I've read this Woody profile since 1975, long before I would have known who Terry Bozzio was. So imagine my near-total shock when I was reading this yesterday & saw Terry Bozzio listed as a drummer with whom Woody Shaw had enjoyed playing.

...I dunno...he's just a fusion guy. I used to be into that kind of stuff. I wonder what he'd sound like with a little set...cymbal, snare, hi-hat, bass and one mounted tom - playing straight ahead.

Well, we now know that he worked w/Woody Shaw in California, and apparently quite well, at some point before 1975.

I don't think I've read this Woody profile since 1975, long before I would have known who Terry Bozzio was. So imagine my near-total shock when I was reading this yesterday & saw Terry Bozzio listed as a drummer with whom Woody Shaw had enjoyed playing.

Yep.

Still..I wonder what he'd sound like.

Up over and out.

I don't really understand you're point. His drum sets are obviously not "unnecessarily complicated" for him, so why do YOU have a problem with them. And what would paring down his set prove? He plays what he plays...and quite well.

In my opinion, and that's all it is, this is nothing but bigger is better syndrome. Some of those arrays serve no purpose whatsoever. It's like having ten headlights on a car. Under no circumstances am I impugning his chops, as I'm sure he'd have no trouble negotiating his way around a more traditional layout. I just take exception to the means he chooses to achieve his ends. Some of this is undoubtedly geared to his audience, the fusioneers who have some difficulty differentiating between style and substance.

Up over and out.

I used to see him weekly in the eeearly 80s (god this is mortifying) with Missing Persons.

missingpersonswords450.jpg

No grief here from this child of the 80's. I loved those Missing Persons videos as much for Terry's drums as the body of the lead singer. :wub:

Edited by Big Al