Oliver Lake

montg

Looks promising. From Capri Records.

(promo material, below):

CAPRI #74089 FAREWELL WALTER DEWEY REDMAN

Mark Masters has done it again! His latest outing features the great Oliver Lake joining the Mark Masters Ensemble (including Tim Hagens, Peter Erskine, Dave Carpenter and others) paying tribute to the late Dewey Redman. Masters honors Redman's creative spirit in his continuing series of recordings documenting great American jazz masters. His charts convey the sense of old and new and like Redman's music, explore the inner and outer boundaries of improvised music.

• 4 years later...

There doesn't appear to be a general Oliver Lake thread so upping this one looking for recommendations.

I have an enjoy Talkin' Stick, Trio Transition feat Oliver Lake, Expandable Language. He seems to have issued a fair number of releases in the past 2 decades.

Any particular recommendations ??

494910.jpg

His Grammavision work is fine, though OOP. Try Impala and Gallery. Zaki on Hat Hut is good. Heavy Spirits on Arista and Shine on Novus are good LP sides. Buster Bee with Julius Hemphill on Sackville is classic. The Prophet on Black Saint, too.

So yeah, thumbs up on OL from me!

• 2 years later...

Oliver Lake/Reggie Workman/Andrew Cyrille at Village Vanguard. The article states this is Oliver Lake's first appearance at the Vanguard.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/28/arts/music/review-trio-3-shows-off-its-jazz-avant-garde-pedigree.html?_r=0

I was shocked when I read that about his FIRST appearance!

I was at the Vanguard last night at the Trio 3 performance. At the outset, Cyrille announced that he and Workman had been at the Vanguard on many occasions with various luminaries, but that it was Lake's first appearance. He has probably made that announcement the entire week. The members of Trio 3 are all over 70, but like their AACM brethren, they are playing music with more vitality than most of the musicians who play the Vanguard on a regular basis.

Oliver Lake/Reggie Workman/Andrew Cyrille at Village Vanguard. The article states this is Oliver Lake's first appearance at the Vanguard.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/28/arts/music/review-trio-3-shows-off-its-jazz-avant-garde-pedigree.html?_r=0

I was shocked when I read that about his FIRST appearance!

I was at the Vanguard last night at the Trio 3 performance. At the outset, Cyrille announced that he and Workman had been at the Vanguard on many occasions with various luminaries, but that it was Lake's first appearance. He has probably made that announcement the entire week. The members of Trio 3 are all over 70, but like their AACM brethren, they are playing music with more vitality than most of the musicians who play the Vanguard on a regular basis.

Saw them tonight. Great concert. Cyrille was even more amazing than usual.

I remember seeing his solo show around 1996. It was a spirited and brave performance.

Also saw the Lake/Workman/Cyrille trio in NYC around that time - Lincoln Center open-air fest I think. Pretty sure I have some photos of that event.

Edited by sidewinder

I'm not shocked it was Lake's first vanguard appearance

Only over the past 3-4 years have they booked any bands with a connection to free/avant garde jazz. The only exception were some of Paul Motian's more outside leaning groups. It took 25 years for the "mainstream" to include another great

I've seen Trio 3 a number of times and they have always delivered. Andrew Cyrille remains one of the great drummers in this music.

• 2 years later...