...how do you pronouce...

sheldonm

Valerie, I always trust your posts. Did you know Gerald or another musician who pronounced it that way?

this is "nah-nah" with a broad "a". i easily could be incorrect but i'm going on how i've heard Gerald pronounce it. admittedly my memory these days doesn't always serve me well! :rolleyes:

There was a Frankly Jazz broadcast that featured the Gerald Wilson band. I had a feeling that this tune was on the broadcast so I pulled out my audio transfer. The host, Frank Evans, is holding up Wilson's then current album, You Better Believe It, and said that this tune was written for the family cat:

Blues for Yen-Yah

So, its not Gerald himself announcing it but presumably with such an odd name, he told Evans before the broadcast how to say it.

Edited by Dan Gould

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I was doing a search for Frankly Jazz on Google, and came across this fourm. My name is Lucas Evans and Frank Evans was my grandfather. He had 3 sons named Peter, David, and Lance. I am Davids youngest son. I was wondering if you guys had or knew of anyone who had any old clips from Frankly Jazz, either video or audio. There are 3 at the Museum of T.V. and Radio in Los Angeles, which I have seen. Frank died long before I was born and I am always intrested in seeing and hearing new things about him.

Thanks guys.

Hey guys, I was doing a search for Frankly Jazz on Google, and came across this fourm. My name is Lucas Evans and Frank Evans was my grandfather. He had 3 sons named Peter, David, and Lance. I am Davids youngest son. I was wondering if you guys had or knew of anyone who had any old clips from Frankly Jazz, either video or audio. There are 3 at the Museum of T.V. and Radio in Los Angeles, which I have seen. Frank died long before I was born and I am always intrested in seeing and hearing new things about him.

Thanks guys.

Lucas,

Is your uncle Lance going to do anything with the Frank Evans website? He's still paying for the URL but has never gone any further, so I am curious if he still has any plans.

As for the Frankly Jazz material, I have a video and audio recording of the Curtis Amy and the Gerald Wilson episodes. If you haven't seen them, I can provide copies. But you should know that it appears that Uptown Jazz is going to issue in August a CD of Dupree Bolton, the bulk of which will be the audio from the Amy show. That is likely to be in better sound than the audio I have lifted off of a third generation VHS copy. There's information here and Amazon actually shows the CD for pre-order.

You can email me at dangould (at) hotmail.com

I think it may be pronounced: Shar-day'

char-don-nay?

I'll have to check my list, but I don't think I have any Frankly Jazz that haven't been mentioned here already. They seem to be pretty rare in trading circles.

Ah well, the Amy seems to be the only one I have... though I might have some more but the info wouldn't be logged to my files in that case. Sorry!