AOW November 9-15

.:.impossible

I have been chosen by Jacknife for AOW November 9-15.

I want to give everyone plenty of time to locate their copy of this album. For those who do not own a copy, this album is in-print as part of the NESSA catalog. We all know where to find a copy I believe! I'm really looking forward to discussing this music with y'all and thank Jacknife for putting me on the list.

.:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:.

AIR

Air Time

Nessa ncd-12

Recorded November 17 and 18, 1977

Produced by Chuck Nessa

Henry Threadgill (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, flute, bass flute, hubkaphone)

Fred Hopkins (bass)

Steve McCall (percussion)

.:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:.

f48777zmoj4.jpg

edit: added image

Edited by impossible

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Air could do no wrong. If Chuck Nessa did wrong with his recordings, he kept it to himself from what I can see.

This is a great record folks. Order it now and listen to it often between now and then. It might need some time to "sink in" for some of you, but give it that time. Some of the music might grab you immediately, and some of it might not reveal its charms until after a few listenings. But I tell you - this was a group of immense talent, vision, humor (LOTS of humor), originality and soul (LOTS of soul, too). Just because you might, MIGHT not hear it the first time out don't mean it's not there. It is. If you end up not liking it, that's cool, dufferent strokes. But I think a lot of you who haven't heard Air WILL dig them and this album.

Check'em out.

"Air Time" is a great choice for Album of the Week. Air was a wonderful/wondrous trio whose music still sounds fresh, and I think that "Air Time" was one of their best recordings. It's also "in print" and readily available. So, to echo Jim Sangrey, "Check'em out." :tup:tup

Edited by SEK

I'm glad to see so much interest in this recording. We all have a little over a month before discussion officially begins. I'm anticipating a fairly thoughtful discussion with some added insight from those active in the recent "Chicago scene" thread.

Hopefully, a few members unfamiliar with this music will make the dive and provide a fresh viewpoint as well!

Time to pick a small nit. There are/were actually two variations. The vertical one JohnS describes is really the hubkawall. I've seen a version of this about 7 ft tall and 10 ft long. The hubkaphone was a smaller collection of caps suspended horizontally on a frame - and is played like a vibraphone.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to choose something that would provoke dissenting opinion. I think this trio, like many other groups have, asks that you think about "music" differently.

Give it some real listening time Steve. Maybe even headphones if you have a pair. I'm really glad you went out of your way to hear this music.

I actually picked up this LP for 25 cents in a thrift store in some small town in Utah (blanking on the name). Every other album there was standard weird thrift store pablum. I always wondered how it got there.

Haven't listened to it in a while; good chance.

• 2 weeks later...

This session immediately struck me as having a confluence of influences and yet sounding like nothing else I have heard.

The first three tracks seem to acknowledge Sonny Rollins, Albert Ayler and Sun Ra in that order. The brief ballad opener is lke a welcoming statement along the lines of - Don't be afraid come in ....Track 2 "No. 2" is considerbaly longer than the stated 2 minutes and develops a real head of steam in the manner of Ayler but perhaps less hectoring than Albert could be. Hopkins is a monster on this track.

Track 3 is a real gem in the manner of Ra's "Fate in a pleasant mood", tunes like Ankh and its varients spring to mind , the combination of dark summative flute playing over the astonishing percussion of the hubkaphone.

Sound quality is good for the period if not quite RVG , it's quite dark sounding but it suits the music perfectly. Packaging up to Nessa high standards.

Alpha plus

very glad another new door has been opened up by Chuck. Thanks