Jutta Hipp

Durium

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sims", not "Simms", dammit! It's right there in front of you. (Why is it so hard to spell names correctly? It's disrespectful, I say! :( )

Or so you'd think...

zoot.jpg

Some misspellings are more common than others. I don't know how many times I've seen McClean and Adderly.

And who can forget Blue Note gems like Handcock and Booby?

How about my personal fave - Art Blakely? :angry:

It's all just sloppy. In the words of Willy Loman "Attention must be paid!" (in 'Death Of A Salesman', by Tennesse Williams).

I know there are bad spellers, and maybe good spelling is just a knack, but I believe you should pay special attention to names.

Back when I did general reporting I had an editor who drummed it into me "Get the name right!!!". I felt foolish one time asking John Smith to spell his name for me, but he said, "Thank you for asking, no one ever does. It's J-O-N S-M-Y-T-H."

Or, maybe it's because of the dozens of misspellings of my own name I've had to endure...

All of this talk reminds me of a comedian when I was a kid in the mid 60's that made a whole routine out of being called the wrong name...... He would start..Well you can call me Bill ...or you can call me Gill....or etc. etc. etc........BUT PLEASE don't call me Johnson(I think)

The funny thing is I can't remember his name.....someone here will remember him though. He made a pretty good living out of that line for a while...

and of course,

You can call me Bill....or you can call me William.......just don't call me late for dinner! I suspect some of the musicians adhered to this philosophy...just so long as they could cash the checks.

I found this online here http://everything2.com/e2node/You%2520may%...%2520me%2520Ray

"You may call me RJ..." came from a brief late-70s craze, a character named Raymond J. Johnson, Jr. in actor/comedian Bill Saluga's repertoire.

An example, from a US variety show sketch: Johnson, dressed like some time-warped 40s hipster gone slightly to seed, and talking in a voice not unlike that of Al Jolson in The Jazz Singer is introduced to someone at a party. The person calls him "Johnson", and off we go...

Aw, ya doesn't have to call me "Johnson"... You can call me "RJ", you can call me "Ray", you can call me "Ray J"...

One of those "you had to be there" sort of things. As Saluga was introduced to each person at the party, the whole thing repeated itself. The show itself was short-lived (I'm thinking it may have been Redd Foxx's), but RJ lived on, with a disco album, and television commercials like an early one for Anheuser-Busch's Natural Light beer. Before RJ-mania, Johnson was a character on David Steinberg's program in Canada (also short-lived); the cast included various Toronto Second City people, many of whom would go on to worldwide fame as part of SCTV.

Johnson! The name's Raymond J. Johnson, Jr., but ya doesn't have to call me "Johnson" - you can call me "Johnny", you can call me "Ray", you can call me "Junior"...

<b>I remember that bit well because I used to say to myself "You don't have to call me Lonson."</b>

Edited by jazzbo

It's all just sloppy. In the words of Willy Loman "Attention must be paid!" (in 'Death Of A Salesman', by Tennesse Williams).

Don't you mean 'Streetcar Named Desire' by Arthur Miller?

HA HA!!! :excited:

Damn! I forgot to add the "irony" smiley.....so, I end up looking like I didn't know. I should take my own advice. (Thanks for getting it, though). :w

I found this online here http://everything2.com/e2node/You%2520may%...%2520me%2520Ray

"You may call me RJ..." came from a brief late-70s craze, a character named Raymond J. Johnson, Jr. in actor/comedian Bill Saluga's repertoire.

An example, from a US variety show sketch: Johnson, dressed like some time-warped 40s hipster gone slightly to seed, and talking in a voice not unlike that of Al Jolson in The Jazz Singer is introduced to someone at a party. The person calls him "Johnson", and off we go...

I believe Saluga was also a member of the popular comedy troupe "Ace Trucking Company".

Aw, ya doesn't have to call me "Johnson"... You can call me "RJ", you can call me "Ray", you can call me "Ray J"...

One of those "you had to be there" sort of things. As Saluga was introduced to each person at the party, the whole thing repeated itself. The show itself was short-lived (I'm thinking it may have been Redd Foxx's), but RJ lived on, with a disco album, and television commercials like an early one for Anheuser-Busch's Natural Light beer. Before RJ-mania, Johnson was a character on David Steinberg's program in Canada (also short-lived); the cast included various Toronto Second City people, many of whom would go on to worldwide fame as part of SCTV.

Johnson! The name's Raymond J. Johnson, Jr., but ya doesn't have to call me "Johnson" - you can call me "Johnny", you can call me "Ray", you can call me "Junior"...

<b>I remember that bit well because I used to say to myself "You don't have to call me Lonson."</b>

And Bob Dylan immortalized it in his song "Gotta Serve Somebody":

"You can call me Zimmy

You can call me RJ

You can call me Ray

You can call me anythin'

No matter what you say

You gonna have to serve somebody..."

I believe Saluga was also a member of the popular comedy troupe "Ace Trucking Company".

And Bob Dylan immortalized it in his song "Gotta Serve Somebody":

"You can call me Zimmy

You can call me RJ

You can call me Ray

You can call me anythin'

No matter what you say

You gonna have to serve somebody..."

That's the one! I knew there would be folks around here that remembered....

Thanks Lonson........or you can call me jazzbo! :g

Seeing how this thread on Jutta Hipp derails into a platter on name jumbling and mess-ups, I take it, then, that the play on words in the titles of the tracks that Jutta Hipp recorded in a session with Hans Koller prior to her departure to the States will totally escape all those "bad spellers" and careless (or should I say couldn't-care-less?) dudes:

Hans Is Hip

Jutta Is Hipp

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

i listened to the Jutta Hipp Quintet, the 5000 series album, again last night. it seems to be a leased or bought session not recorded in NYC. all musicians are German and it was recorded under the supervision of a German producer as you can read on the back cover. so it looks like something recorded before she left Germany. Emil Mangelsdorff, Albert's brother and an active member of the German swing cult of the 40's, prosecuted under the Nazis, plays alto.

plus on the hickory house recordings she is announced by Leonard Feather as being recorded for the first time for Blue Note. and if i'm not mistaken the 1500 series was started after the 5000 series was closed. some 5000 series titles were reissued in the 1500 series.

does anybody have more information on that record's origin? the cover is also a total departure from the Blue Note aesthetic, even from the 5000 series, though many of these were also quite uncommon. and it's really beautiful: a simple drawing of Jutta Hipp dressed in black against a black background with the word Jutta in red lettering.

I remember that bit very well - for obvious reasons - and occassionally repeat parts of it to blank stares from the younger generation. :lol:

Bob Dylan even references part of the gag in some lyrics on his "Slow Train Coming" album.

@Bluesnik:

You are of course right about the origins of BN 5056.

This session was recorded in Frankfurt (Germany) on 24 April, 1954 by the Jutta Hipp Quintet.

However, I am not so sure it was a "leased" session in the sense that the Fats Sadi 10in LP on BN was, for example. In fact, BN 5056 was the first and only issue of these recordings back then. They were not reissued until the late 70s when 6 of the 8 tracks appeared on the German L&R label (along with the tracks Jutta Hipp had recorded for MGM just prior to the BN session).

thanks, big beat steve.

so this session was unissued before Blue Note released it? was it never intended for release or was it maybe indirectly recorded for Blue Note like some Dexter Gordon or Hank MObley sessions recorded in Paris? though i don't think this is the case here. otherwise Hickory HOuse vol.1 wouldn't be considered her first BN recording.

i tend to think it was recorded in Frankfurt and never released and maybe picked up later by BN when Jutta arrived in the US. or maybe she brought it with her under the advice of Leonard Feather, her discoverer.

anyway, the fact that it still is owned by Blue Note speaks against a leased title, like some of the 5000s were.

BN 5056 was released well before the Hickory House albums. This certainly was no "afterthought" to anything and no rehashing of "unreleased" sessions either. I don't think the minds of agents on the lookout for music to release worked that way back then. And there's no big deal with all this. Even in the 10in vinyl era U.S. labels DID issue sessions by European jazz groups, and not all of them were just leased items that had been released in Europe before but some of them were in fact recorded specifically with the intention of having them releaed in the US.

The Metronome 1955 Yearbook (obviously printed at the very beginning of the year at the latest) carries a BN ad that lists BN 5056 among its latest releases. No word on any 1500 LP release anywhere there nor in the year's discography included in the yearbook (no doubt BN buffs will be able to pinpoint the time that the first BN 1500 series LP hit the record stall not only to the day but to the very minute. ;)) So this should narrow down the timeframe of the release date.

BTW, a concurrent release on BN that was also mentioned in the ad was 5052 "The Cool Britons" featuring as British all-star band. Can't check right now but I think this was first released on this BN 10in LP too.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

"The Cool Britons" featuring as British all-star band. Can't check right now but I think this was first released on this BN 10in LP too.

Recorded July 1954 in London - I've a feeling it might have been recorded by Carlo Kramer's Esquire operation.

Edited by sidewinder

The Japanese Blue Note discography lists the following musicians for the sessions making up this LP:

Albert Hall, Johnny Dankworth, Don REndell, Ralph Dollimore, Johnny hawksworth, Alan Ganley, Harry Klein, Tony Kinsey.

Rec. March and Mary, 1954.

Strangely enough the BN ad in Metronome mentioned above credit this LP to "Mike Nevard's Meldoy Maker All Stars" but according to the discographies it is no MM All Stars session and Mike Nevard (a MM scribe, it seems) is just a fake leader name, it seems.

Haven't been able to find this session under any of the musician names I checked in either Jepsen or Bruyninckx (and not under "Cool Britons" or Mike Nevard (who does not have any entry at all) either). Wonder where this session hides ... ;)

By coincidence, Mike Nevard also shared credits with Jutta Hipp on a double EP issued on MGM, and the liner notes to that one mention involvement by Leonard Feather. So I figure both the MGM and BN sessions by both groups were set up by Leonard Feather in Europe with a view to having them released (originally released!) in the U.S.

• 11 months later...
  • 8 years later...