Philip Glass

7/4

I like Koyaanisqatsi, I guess I listen to it about once every 5 years. I wouldn't say I like everything he's done.

edit: I do think the film is a classic.

In what sense?

To Kill A Mockingbird. Now THERE'S a classic!

Anyway, to each his own. My tastes are pretty eclectic. But modern classical, I can do without.

I really like the Chatham Square LPs

I owned a couple of those and sold them 20 years ago cheap...I didn't know what I had!

Yes, he's overexposed, but in spite of that he's created some interesting music.

That's pretty much it.

I still try to keep track of what he's up to, even if I don't listen to it all.

I like Koyaanisqatsi, I guess I listen to it about once every 5 years. I wouldn't say I like everything he's done.

edit: I do think the film is a classic.

In what sense?

I saw it when it came out, so I associate it with my first experiences with his music. It's one of those movies that I saw a couple of times with friends...we all got high and went to the movies. Maybe it's a classic like the Rocky Horror Picture Show. As an album, Koyaanisqatsi is (for me) a companion to GlassWorks.

I think it was right about that time when I gave up on him for about 15 years. :lol:

• 8 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Saying this simply in hopes of gaining further insight into this man's music from people whose opinions I respect...but I've long heard him on records, scores, etc. and never as a living functional performance music, and within the last half-year or so, I've heard live performances of a few of his things that have left me somewhat, shall we say, wanting more than what seemed to be there. Perhaps the performances weren't where they needed to be, or maybe it's just me? But it seems like what I liked about him in a "secondary" listening mode has not yet carried over into the listening-live-in-the-same-room mode.

So...anybody want to tell me why I'm "wrong"? Or "right"? Or "maybe"? Just give me something more to think about, because right now, I'm in a "well, ok, that was fun while it lasted" place (almost "pop"?) with this music instead of "oh, this will continue to reveal itself over the years" ("classical"?). When I get really dark on it, I'm hearing the "mundane rebuilt is still mundane" voice talking to me...not sure if I want to listen to that voice or not?

• 2 years later...

Recently enjoyed a performance of Glass's Complete Piano Etudes, performed by Glass, Aaron Diehl, Devonte Hynes, Jenny Lin, and Jason Moran. Hadn't listed to much PG since the heyday of Koyaanisqatsi. There appear to be several recordings of the complete etudes. Anyone have any opinions on versions performed by Maki Namekawa (Orange Mountain), Jeroen van Veen (Brilliant Classics), Anton Bagatov (Orange Mountain), Bojan Gorisek (Imports?), others? I also need to track down some other work by Mr. Diehl.

On 2/22/2016 at 7:07 PM, 7/4 said:

Some of it just doesn't sparkle, it isn't his good stuff. I should write a top ten list.

I see the full opera on YoTube has already been yanked. I really wanted to watch that. WTF...

It has been yanked because it's now available on DVD or Blu-ray. So you can watch it, and if you can't find it I can get one for you (I work for Robert Wilson).

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

It has been yanked because it's now available on DVD or Blu-ray. So you can watch it, and if you can't find it I can get one for you (I work for Robert Wilson).

What full opera are we talking about here?  If it's Einstein on the Beach it's available from Amazon and for some reason it's cheaper on Blu Ray than DVD.  I just ordered it because everyone I know who saw it live was knocked out by it. 

BTW If you're interested in what he can do with music that's far from minimalism, listen to his score for the film The Secret Agent. 

Edited by medjuck

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

Short series on BBC 4 over the last couple of weekends, Tones, Drones and Arpeggios.   Looked at and interviewed  La Monte Young, Terry Riley, Steve Reich and Glass.  An interesting primer.

Can't watch it in the states. As it keeps showing up on YoTube, it gets blocked.

I blame the bossa nova, then the Illuminati. 

5 hours ago, JohnS said:

Short series on BBC 4 over the last couple of weekends, Tones, Drones and Arpeggios.   Looked at and interviewed  La Monte Young, Terry Riley, Steve Reich and Glass.  An interesting primer.

Yes, I enjoyed that alot and agree it worked well as an introduction. I felt a little short-changed by the missed opportunity of not having more of the interviews with the fours composers featured. If you go to the trouble of setting the interviews up then why not use them more fully, especially given the stated rarity of LaMonte Young interviews

44 minutes ago, 7/4 said:

Can't watch it in the states. As it keeps showing up on YoTube, it gets blocked.

I blame the bossa nova, then the Illuminati. 

probably The Maximimalists