Sunday Morning Music

Sundog

For me Sunday's a bit of a ritual. Not being especially religious I don't go to church however I don't sleep in. I get up and listen to music. I tend to listen to a lot of Bossa Nova. Then of course there's Duke. It really just occurred to me that more often than not on Sundays, I'm listening to Duke, or something Duke-related. Right now I'm listening to Earl Hines playing "The Creole Love Call". So what's your Sunday morning musical ritual?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I generally have very little to do on Sundays, it's my favorite day for pulling out things I've recently purchased and listening to them. I also will make mp3's of new purchases so I can take them with me wherever I go. I've been sitting on decent-sized backlog, so today I'm planning on listening to a lot of new stuff:

Jack Teagarden - Mis'ry and the Blues (my first experience with Jack Teagarden, have it on right now)

Duke Ellington Reprise Mosaic (never heard any of Duke's big band work before, so I'm pretty excited to hear this)

Illinois Jacquet Mosaic (also never heard any of this before, other than the sound samples at the Mosaic website)

Johnny Hodges Mosaic (my wife got this for me for my birthday, and it needs a lot more attention than it's gotten)

I think I might go buy the recently-released Charlie Christian box today. I didn't realize until last night that there's a lot of Hamp in this box, and after listening to some samples, I decided I MUST have this box. :tup

Not a church goer either so I have a block of time on Sunday mornings as well. I have found that over the past several years I've gravitated toward listening to a block of older music on Sunday mornings. Generally, it's a Mosaic set. Something like the Django, Venuti/Lang, a big band set, Bailey, Ventura/Phillips.

I think I might go buy the recently-released Charlie Christian box today. I didn't realize until last night that there's a lot of Hamp in this box, and after listening to some samples, I decided I MUST have this box. 

This is a great box. Wondeful playing all around, not just Charlie. The packaging really sucks, but don't let this be a deterent to purchasing. The sound quality on the other hand is quite good, considering to age of the material.

My wife and I are in church more often than not on Sunday, and occasionally one of Monk's hymns, "Abide with Me" or "Blessed Assurance"/"This Is My Story, This Is My Song" will be included in the service, to my great pleasure. Driving to and from church, I tend to listen to whatever suits my mood. If I remember correctly, last Sunday it was Mal Waldron and Django.

• 1 year later...

I usually get a few hours (sometimes as much as three) of listening in before my wife wakes up and "Sunday" on CBS is turned on.

This year I have had a tradition of playing Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" (one of three versions, original, Detroit mix, or the live version, all found on the Deluxe Edition) as my sort of ersatz Sunday Service. It's really beginning to mean something to me. Otherwise I just try to get caught up on listening; I usually get a few more hours in later int he day.

Usually Sunday morning is "legit" time- Bach cello suites (specifically the Janos Starker recordings that I learned about here!), string quartets, chamber ensembles, solo piano, that type of stuff while we read the Sunday paper and drink our coffee.

Also Bill Evans.

P.S. Rod, that Afro-Latin Soul cover has hypnotized me.................. :blink:

Edited by Free For All

For me Sunday's a bit of a ritual. Not being especially religious I don't go to church however I don't sleep in. I get up and listen to music. I tend to listen to a lot of Bossa Nova. Then of course there's Duke. It really just occurred to me that more often than not on Sundays, I'm listening to Duke, or something Duke-related. Right now I'm listening to Earl Hines playing "The Creole Love Call". So what's your Sunday morning musical ritual?

I coach rugby on Sundays and that takes up most of my day, then I have to do the ironing ( my particular job). Then I read and listen to some kind of muisc, not always, but mostly jazz this morning it was the new E.S.T album.

Che.

I coach rugby on Sundays and that takes up most of my day, then I have to do the ironing ( my particular job). Then I read and listen to some kind of muisc, not always, but mostly jazz this morning it was the new E.S.T album.

Che.

With all the postings you flood us with daily including Sundays, wonder what kind of rugby coaching you can give...

Che.

With all the postings you flood us with daily including Sundays, wonder what kind of rugby coaching you can give...

Hey Brother.

"Flood "seems kind of a subjective thing, after all you have posted more that 5000 posts :P

Do you know what rugby is? ;)

Che.

Che.

You know it's nice to know that when you have not posted for four days, people in this forum miss me.

Thanks Brother ;)

Che.

I'm quite amazed to find you all listen to music on a Sunday.

I thought the whole of America was in church!

(Please note: one of those smiley things. This is a lighthearted comment)

I enjoyed Arnold Bax, William Alwyn and Malcolm Arnold this morning.

:D

Che.